Kushigs syndrome

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, April 16, 2012, 08:16:47 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

That's too bad, but I am glad it's not that way here... I think the reason they are good to go here is because you have to take a test at any hospital you try to work for, and that is just the beginning of the process. Big pita... Take a final... Take the assessments... Take the state test... Take a written employment exam... Take an assessment employment exam and hope you get the job.

SJFedor

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 22, 2012, 11:06:03 PM
That's too bad, but I am glad it's not that way here... I think the reason they are good to go here is because you have to take a test at any hospital you try to work for, and that is just the beginning of the process. Big pita... Take a final... Take the assessments... Take the state test... Take a written employment exam... Take an assessment employment exam and hope you get the job.

Oh, that's nothing. Wait til paramedic school. We were sorting all our files last week in preparation for medical director review, and had to sort all our tests into a month by month order. There's now a folder 6 inches thick with all the exams I took in medic school. And that's not counting all the computerized ones we do throughout the year.

I've worked for three 911 services as an EMT (-B and -IV), and all the hiring processes were.... unique. Louisville Metro had me do a written exam (pretty simple), physical agility (carry jump bag/immob equipment/monitor up stairs, assess a patient, code said patient, resuscitate said patient, immobilize and carry pt down stairs on LSB w/ partner, place on stretcher, and load patient and stretcher into med unit in under 15min), panel interview, polygraph (yes, really), and chief's interview. Quite an interesting process, but it was also a fun job while I was up there.  First county service I worked for in TN (part-time) was a written (hardest test I've ever seen, actually made by the guy who is now one of my paramedic instructors), a simple practical mega-code like scenario, and a panel interview. My current employer doesn't believe in written examinations, so we had an HR interview, and then a 5-station interview process with a peds scenario, a trauma scenario, airway management, ops manager interview, and chief's interview, all of which were not too terrible.

Some places love tests, others feel that tests aren't really a good thing. My feeling, if you're someone motivated, dedicated, and willing to learn with a decent educational foundation, I can teach you whatever you need to know for the job. I'd rather have someone who needs a little extra education, but a good attitude, then someone who can ace the test but is a crappy person.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Spaceman3750

If EMS is anything like IT, the written tests are just used as an easy way to screen out the goobers before you waste time interviewing them.

CAP4117

Good news, I passed the National Registry today. Now it's time to find a job!

manfredvonrichthofen

Congratulations brother!!!!

I talked to IDHS yesterday and they told me that they finally found my written exam and it would be entered today. So today I should be a registered EMT.

CAP4117

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 24, 2012, 12:34:48 PM
Congratulations brother sister!!!!

I talked to IDHS yesterday and they told me that they finally found my written exam and it would be entered today. So today I should be a registered EMT.
Congrats!!! Good luck with everything!  ;D

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: CAP4117 on May 25, 2012, 04:55:43 AM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 24, 2012, 12:34:48 PM
Congratulations brother sister!!!!

Congrats!!! Good luck with everything!  ;D
Sorry, had no idea... Man my foot is lodged so far down my throat right now...

CAP4117

Don't worry about it!  :) There's no reason you should have known. Thanks for your support through all this!

Major Lord

What, you guys couldn't tell that "4117" was a girl's name? Anyway, congrats to all my newborne EMS brethren, and its perfectly fine to use the male form when discussing members of the race of man collectively. Just remember to be courteous and kind to all those with whom you come into professional contact....but have a plan to kill them just in case! If they did not tell you about important things for the practicing EMT, like the "reverse stethoscope maneuver" or "O" sign and "Q" sign, you will get to learn about it now!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Major Lord on May 25, 2012, 09:51:19 PM
What, you guys couldn't tell that "4117" was a girl's name? Anyway, congrats to all my newborne EMS brethren, and its perfectly fine to use the male form when discussing members of the race of man collectively. Just remember to be courteous and kind to all those with whom you come into professional contact....but have a plan to kill them just in case! If they did not tell you about important things for the practicing EMT, like the "reverse stethoscope maneuver" or "O" sign and "Q" sign, you will get to learn about it now!

Major Lord
I have to hear it... What is the reverse steth maneuver?

CAP4117

I'm not sure I want to know  >:D

EDIT: I wasn't trying to give you hard time, manfredvonrichtofen.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: CAP4117 on May 25, 2012, 09:56:51 PM
I'm not sure I want to know  >:D

EDIT: I wasn't trying to give you hard time, manfredvonrichtofen.
Not a problem, all is well on my end... I just didn't know... All the numbers threw me for a loop... They all sound like boy numbers lol.

Major Lord

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 25, 2012, 09:53:05 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on May 25, 2012, 09:51:19 PM

Major Lord
I have to hear it... What is the reverse steth maneuver?

This is one that I can talk about in mixed company.  The RSM is for when you come in contact with people so old that the only way to talk to them is to put your scope in their ears and yell into the bell. You see? And you expected something really evil, didn't you? ( BTW, did you know that you can inject Narcan sublingually from under someone's chin with a long enough needle? Now that's evil!) Another evil test, for LOC for in people who would otherwise go to jail is to say loudly "Partner quick!, he's unconscious! Get a syringe and draw some fluid out of his eyeball! This is even better that the "hand, face drop test" since any junky worth his salt knows how to handle that one. If they keep their composure after you tell the you are going to stick a needle in their eye, then you can also use an alcohol prep pad on their eyelid to add to the terror factor. I have only had one guy ( A pickup from San Quentin Prison) who let me stick a nasopharyngeal airway up his nose and still do a credible job of feigning unconsciousness....

Don't mention "O" sign and "Q" sign to non-emergency medical people...they won't like it....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

CAP4117

That's why I didn't want to know :o Stop polluting our young and eager minds, we have years to get cynical on our own!  ;)

manfredvonrichthofen

Major Lord

Congratulations!

Major Lord

CAP4117

Congratulations, that's awesome!!