endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor and high esprit de corps of
Civil Air Patrol Emergency Services.

Exceeding all others, CAP ground teams are elite searchers, who respond
at the first call of the AFRCC, I accept that as a ground team member my
squadron expects me to move further, faster, and search harder than any
other team.

Semper Vigilans. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically
strong and well trained, and I will shoulder my share of the team
equipment whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some.

Courageously I will show the world that I am a specially qualified and
well-trained searcher.  My survival skills, land navigation, and care of
equipment shall set the standard for others to follow.

United, my ground team will meet the challenges of the search.  I shall
find the objective when all other teams have chosen defeat, for I am better
trained and will search till the dead of night.  Failure is not a ground
team word.  Never will I leave a search victim to fall into the hands of
death and under no circumstance will I ever embarrass my organization.

Energetically will I display the duty, valor, and strength to drive on to the search
objective and complete the mission. Though I be the lone ground team member.

SEMPER VIGILANS!
:clap:      :clap:       :clap:        :clap:       :clap:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: GTCommando on September 22, 2010, 10:50:54 PM
As others have said, they're not blood oaths, but mission statements.

They are not "mission statements".

"Serve as a fiscally responsible service and support organization to the United States Air Force." 
That is a mission statement.

Quote from: GTCommando on September 22, 2010, 10:50:54 PM
Why do you think CAP adopted one in the first place?

"CAP" didn't - some specific activities use them in an attempt to instill spirit in their participants.  Since the organization already has
core values, mission statements, and an oath, anything else is unnecessary.

How about this:

I will show up when called, sit quietly until asked, and do the best I can...

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: a2capt on September 23, 2010, 01:11:12 AM
Oh come on.  8)

The cadet that wrote this was about 14 or 15 at the time.  She was not your typical HMRS wannabe or HALO 3 warrior.  She was a top student in her class, great athlete and dedicated cadet.  She was highly motivated for ground team stuff and decided one day to jot down a "Rescue Creed".  While I don't think such a creed is necessary, nor would I suggest someone writing one, I did support her motivation and drive.  Fortunately she turned out to be a top notch adult, USMA graudate and now Army officer.
Serving since 1987.

NCRblues

how about....

I will sign in to the mission with legible handwriting.
I will listen to the safety briefing, and place myself on the safety briefing roster.
I will not touch anything in the field.... at all...
If i fall down and go boom, I will tell someone ASAP, and not hide what happened.
::)

OR, we could just do what we have been doing....and have nothing...you know... whatever.... >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Stonewall

Quote from: NCRblues on September 23, 2010, 02:15:21 AM
I will listen to the safety briefing, and place myself on the safety briefing roster.
If i fall down and go boom, I will tell someone ASAP, and not hide what happened.

Sounds like we need to bubble wrap everyone to keep them safe.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: Stonewall on September 23, 2010, 02:21:58 AM

Sometimes I feel like one day that will be policy.  Heck, look at how the safety oath evolved before it died.  It was simple, then it turned into an unnecessary mess.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JC004 on September 23, 2010, 02:52:43 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on September 23, 2010, 02:21:58 AM

Sometimes I feel like one day that will be policy.  Heck, look at how the safety oath evolved before it died.  It was simple, then it turned into an unnecessary mess.

"As a Civil Air Patrol Member, I pledge to promote an uncompromising safety environment for myself and others.  And to prevent the loss of, or damage to, Civil Air Patrol assets entrusted to me.  I will perform all of my activities in a professional and safe manner, and will hold myself accountable for my actions in all of our Missions for America." - from memory, suckas...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Krapenhoeffer

<sarcasm>

Sure, GT's need an oath, just like they need blades longer than six inches.

</sarcasm>

Ground Teams are VERY important. I feel that National needs to do more to improve our ground teams across the Country. However, the "elite" mentality kind of makes me a bit angry.

I've overheard AF Security Forces laughing about all the cadets who carry multiple knives. Seriously, we aren't going to war. A simple leatherman is all the more that somebody will need ever.

I've gotten to the point, that I've started bringing a ruler with me during gear inspections, and will confiscate any blade longer than six inches (they are legally weapons at that point under state law, and our meeting takes place on an ARNG installation), keeping them until their parents come to pick up the weapons. As most of the GT-rated cadets have their drivers licenses, this has proven to be an excellent deterrent.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

a2capt

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 23, 2010, 03:52:19 AM"As a Civil Air Patrol Member, I pledge to promote an uncompromising safety environment for myself and others.  And to prevent the loss of, or damage to, Civil Air Patrol assets entrusted to me.  I will perform all of my activities in a professional and safe manner, and will hold myself accountable for my actions in all of our Missions for America." - from memory, suckas...
^ and wear my proper uniform, properly. (or forgo my complete coverage and that of my team)

:P

Capt Ford

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on September 23, 2010, 05:02:50 AM
<sarcasm>

Sure, GT's need an oath, just like they need blades longer than six inches.

</sarcasm>

Ground Teams are VERY important. I feel that National needs to do more to improve our ground teams across the Country. However, the "elite" mentality kind of makes me a bit angry.

I've overheard AF Security Forces laughing about all the cadets who carry multiple knives. Seriously, we aren't going to war. A simple leatherman is all the more that somebody will need ever.

I've gotten to the point, that I've started bringing a ruler with me during gear inspections, and will confiscate any blade longer than six inches (they are legally weapons at that point under state law, and our meeting takes place on an ARNG installation), keeping them until their parents come to pick up the weapons. As most of the GT-rated cadets have their drivers licenses, this has proven to be an excellent deterrent.

:clap: Thank You!
JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Assistant Administration Officer
Florida Wing

Major Lord

I would pirate Lt. Dan's words as our GT Creed: "Take care of your feet and don't do anything stupid!"  We could shout it out like the real Air force: Airpower! "By the Power of Grey Skull!" "Thundercats, Ho!" Or maybe we could just do the job and quit being such whiny little poofters.......naahhhh.

FYI, I think that machetes are still on the list of GT gear, and all the ones I have seen are longer than six inches. Maybe they were banned as "assault knives"

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ZigZag911

I'm with Eclipse on the GL oath!

Seriously, if some enthusiastic cadets want to write these things I guess there's no harm in it...but I think there are far more useful things they could be doing.

Why do we need all these 'elite communities' in CAP??

While I wouldn't dare compare us with the USMC, I think they've got the right attitude: either you're a Marine, or you're not.

If you are, nothing more needs to be said.

If you're not, then who cares?!?

We ought to strive for that sort of spirit across CAP -- any member, whatever the rank, role, mission function, is "one of us!"

N Harmon

Having a creed, or mission statement, or whatever you want to call it is not "elitist". If it were then comm folks with their "Voice of Command" creed would be quite elite.

It's about summing up your job in as few words as possible, so as to give something to be proud of...

- Ground Teams: The Rescue in CAP Search and Rescue

- Ground Teams: Boots on the Ground for the Eyes in the Air

- Ground Teams: Because planes make me sick.

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

CommGeek

CAP Is not or will never be rescue!

Eclipse

Quote from: CommGeek on September 23, 2010, 06:58:24 PM
CAP Is not or will never be rescue!

Easy there, Tonto.  Fun is fun, but CAP does serve a valuable place in the ES puzzle.

"Rescue" is a relative term and doesn't always mean carrying someone out of a burning building on your back.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Major Lord on September 23, 2010, 03:49:22 PM
I would pirate Lt. Dan's words as our GT Creed: "Take care of your feet and don't do anything stupid!"  We could shout it out like the real Air force: Airpower! "By the Power of Grey Skull!" "Thundercats, Ho!" Or maybe we could just do the job and quit being such whiny little poofters.......naahhhh.

FYI, I think that machetes are still on the list of GT gear, and all the ones I have seen are longer than six inches. Maybe they were banned as "assault knives"

Major Lord

machetes are still permitted as terrain dictates (for senior members only) but not permitted to be visible while on site security (whole "show of force" hoopla and all)..

I would not find it prudent to carry one in the prairies and plains of eastern SD, but there are some places west river where it may be useful.  Mine is cheap, its carrier is cheap, and if flops around a lot; I hate it, I don't need it, so I don't carry it.
Paramedic
hang-around.

ol'fido

1. GT Motto- "Do your Job, do it right, and go home safe."

2. Knives of any length can be weapons whether they are 6" or not.

3. Knives are tools. Sometimes you need a big one and sometimes you need a small one. Just don't run around with them all over your gear or you start looking like Barry Sadler's "Garret Trooper".

4. Considering some of the "bat belts" I've seen on Security Forces, they don't have much room to critcize.

5. I sometimes carry a Spec-Plus Bolo. It's not your usual,cheap "tree beater" machete. It will actually cut something. I carry it in my pack and not on my belt. I mainly have it to teach shelter building or other survival subjects as I don't do GT anymore.

6. MBS Motto: "Is there any more coffee?"
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NCRblues

Quote from: ol'fido on September 23, 2010, 11:39:00 PM
1. GT Motto- "Do your Job, do it right, and go home safe."

2. Knives of any length can be weapons whether they are 6" or not.

3. Knives are tools. Sometimes you need a big one and sometimes you need a small one. Just don't run around with them all over your gear or you start looking like Barry Sadler's "Garret Trooper".

4. Considering some of the "bat belts" I've seen on Security Forces, they don't have much room to criticize.

5. I sometimes carry a Spec-Plus Bolo. It's not your usual,cheap "tree beater" machete. It will actually cut something. I carry it in my pack and not on my belt. I mainly have it to teach shelter building or other survival subjects as I don't do GT anymore.

6. MBS Motto: "Is there any more coffee?"

#4.... um, security forces, those who's job it is to protect the entire base, operations and personnel on the base they are assigned,with little chance of back up if something would go down on base have no room to talk for carrying knives? You have lost your mind... Cap cadets have Zero need to carry more than one small knife. I can think of a lot of reasons for security forces to carry multiple knives.... and it is no way cap members job to criticise  active duty members for the actions they take while one duty. How do you know that their commander did not order them to carry multiple knives?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Stonewall

You guys, as usual, are blowing things way out of proportion.

A cadet sitting in class doodling a "creed" of some sort is no different than a cadet chillin' at home sketching a new squadron patch.  It's just brainstorming and loving every minute of CAP.  As a cadet I did all of that and then some.  I'd rather a cadet scribble some squadron motto on a gum wrapper than be glued to their computer playing Medal of Honor or whatever those games are called.  Creativity, daydreaming and being excited about CAP is pretty friggin normal if you ask me.  Do you seriously expect a 14 or even a 17 year old to be as straight and narrow and "by the book" as a 40 year old senior member with 20+ years service?  Really?

Do we have an issue within CAP of elitism, stupid badges and berets?  Of course.  But just because a 12 or 15 year old kid cadet does it DOES NOT make it a bad thing.  It's not like they're suggesting it be branded onto their chest or mandate all GTs recited for every mission.  It's just someone screwing around and maybe being a little excited.  So get off your high horses and realize that it's nothing but a cadet being stoked about being a Cadet or Ground Team member.  I can think of a lot worse things a cadet could be doing with their time.

As for the Security Forces crap.  I have 70+ people in my squadron and I can say with confidence that no one, I mean NO ONE, is stupidliy carrying anything more than a pocket-clip knife in their ABU pocket and a multi-tool in their gear.  No one is issued or carries a bayonet, Kaybar or upside down fighting knife.  I'm sure there are some Defenders out there that are just as cheesey as some of our cadets and ground team members, and are probably former CAP cadets themselves, but you'll find goofballs in all walks of life, in every career field and MOS.

As a Security Forces NCO, I'll be glad to out PT you, out shoot you and carry a ruck further than you can imagine.  And I promise you I won't carry a knife bigger than maybe 3 1/2 inches.   8)

BTW....

[smg id=258]
Serving since 1987.