Main Menu

Safety vests

Started by vmstan, June 08, 2010, 09:06:13 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on June 13, 2010, 08:21:27 PMI remember at one activity where we were all looking at the then-new 39-1.   The cadets were all talking about how dumb it was to have a utility suit in dark blue and a flight suit in ultramarine.  Same pattern, different colors.  Of course, they later changed this at our expense.  I know some SMs who were NOT TOO HAPPY about the cost they got stuck with on this.

As I recall the ultramarine flight suit was only worn during phase-out when they put the dark blue flight suit into service.

Not really a "duplication".

Quote from: BTCS1* on June 15, 2010, 10:55:37 PM
That would be great, because frankly, while CAC is meant to provide us with the opportunity to help with the seniors command decisions and whatnot, it is actually quite ineffective from what I have seen in my year a a rep. My first order of business: KILL THE TRIANGLE-THINGY!!!!

CAC is an advisory body with no more authority than CAPTalk, and generally picks the topics it works on out of thin air and outside their scope.

Branding and triangles as a perfect example, senior activities as another. 

Unless HEADCAP charges the CAC at the national level with work on the brand, it's not really their concern.  The whole idea of CAC is to provide commanders with advice on issues they are charged with advising on, or concerns from the respective echelon of membership, not randomly "fix things".  That's why they are ineffective, no one will hone their scope and mission, so they wander around in the dark until their term is up.  The ribbon should have a picture of a flashlight on it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2010, 11:31:00 PM
The ribbon should have a picture of a flashlight on it.
Careful, someone will try to get such a ribbon device of such an item commisioned.

Quote from: JC004 on June 13, 2010, 08:21:27 PMSometimes I think we should have a cadet activity...CAP Leaders for a Week.  Let the cadets run the organization for a week and see what they do.   :)  I bet they'd kick butt.
Frankly, that concept scares me. A large amount of cadets have a bling fetish, I can just imagine what cadets running the organization for a week would produce.

Yes, there are a few that have good heads on their shoulders, but it doesn't mean they all do. And, it applies to seniors as well.

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2010, 11:31:00 PM
Quote from: JC004 on June 13, 2010, 08:21:27 PMI remember at one activity where we were all looking at the then-new 39-1.   The cadets were all talking about how dumb it was to have a utility suit in dark blue and a flight suit in ultramarine.  Same pattern, different colors.  Of course, they later changed this at our expense.  I know some SMs who were NOT TOO HAPPY about the cost they got stuck with on this.

As I recall the ultramarine flight suit was only worn during phase-out when they put the dark blue flight suit into service.

Not really a "duplication".

I don't understand what you mean.  The corporate flight suit authorized in 39-1 was ultramarine.  The utility flight suit-like uniform (non-NOMEX) was blueberry.  Then they changed the flight suit to blueberry.

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 15, 2010, 11:43:38 PM
Quote from: JC004 on June 13, 2010, 08:21:27 PMSometimes I think we should have a cadet activity...CAP Leaders for a Week.  Let the cadets run the organization for a week and see what they do.   :)  I bet they'd kick butt.
Frankly, that concept scares me. A large amount of cadets have a bling fetish, I can just imagine what cadets running the organization for a week would produce.

Yes, there are a few that have good heads on their shoulders, but it doesn't mean they all do. And, it applies to seniors as well.

Don't worry.  It's not an actual proposal (thus "sometimes I think"), just commentary on how the cadets seem to get it and the National Board does not - and has not for some time.  That's not necessarily against the current National Board.  It's ongoing.  That said, if I were a Wing Commander or otherwise, I'd be involving cadets heavily for sure.  Sure, they've got their high school drama and their weird proposals like we've seen with multiple CACs at different levels, but at least they don't have the cut-throat politics that we see the seniors sometimes engaged in.

Eclipse

Yep, and we sometimes forget that the reason we are where we are, is because of the evolution of the program, the government, our members, and our customers.

Its easy to pick out one or two random things that don't make sense as indicators of global issues, but in most cases the "fix" is not
as simple as the "fix" when seen in the larger context.  Many things can be accomplished by simply having everyone equally unhappy, but not everything.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

That would be great, because frankly, while CAC is meant to provide us with the opportunity to help with the seniors command decisions and whatnot, it is actually quite ineffective from what I have seen in my year a a rep. My first order of business: KILL THE TRIANGLE-THINGY!!!!

No...sorry the CAC is NOT supposed to help with command decisions.

You are supposed to advise the commander about improvements to the cadet program at your level of representation.

One of the reasons why CAC is ineffective is because the get outside their lane.  Marketing is not within the perview of the CAC and it is in appropriate for you to go there.

While everyone has the right to voice their opinion....don't blame CAC if you are trying to use it inappropriately.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BTCS1*

I did not mean that CAC should fix the bringing issue, that was in regards to the "leader for a day" comment. CAC should not be dealing with things like that, after all, it is CADET advisory council.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

JC004

Quote from: lordmonar on June 16, 2010, 12:17:31 AM

You are supposed to advise the commander about improvements to the cadet program at your level of representation.

One of the reasons why CAC is ineffective is because the get outside their lane.  Marketing is not within the perview of the CAC and it is in appropriate for you to go there.

While everyone has the right to voice their opinion....don't blame CAC if you are trying to use it inappropriately.

One of the cadets sent this to me.  Honestly, I didn't look at it much yet, but he told me some of what is in it.  It's a quarterly "strategic action plan" that they have going at the moment:
http://cac.cap.gov/images/90-III%20Strategic%20Action%20Plan.pdf

FARRIER

Earthday Activities :o

Quote from: JC004 on June 16, 2010, 07:32:03 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 16, 2010, 12:17:31 AM

One of the cadets sent this to me.  Honestly, I didn't look at it much yet, but he told me some of what is in it.  It's a quarterly "strategic action plan" that they have going at the moment:
http://cac.cap.gov/images/90-III%20Strategic%20Action%20Plan.pdf
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

dogboy

Many countries require that a safety vest be available in  any car on a public road. It's an excellent idea. I give them out as gifts. Could easily save a life. Cost only about $5

DakRadz

Quote from: JC004 on June 13, 2010, 08:21:27 PM
Quote from: JC004
Sometimes I think we should have a cadet activity...CAP Leaders for a Week.  Let the cadets run the organization for a week and see what they do.   :)  I bet they'd kick butt.

Don't worry.  It's not an actual proposal (thus "sometimes I think"), just commentary on how the cadets seem to get it and the National Board does not - and has not for some time.  That's not necessarily against the current National Board.  It's ongoing.  That said, if I were a Wing Commander or otherwise, I'd be involving cadets heavily for sure.  Sure, they've got their high school drama and their weird proposals like we've seen with multiple CACs at different levels, but at least they don't have the cut-throat politics that we see the seniors sometimes engaged in.
I'd say the CAP Leaders for a Week would work- and the cadets would have to be screened, of course. ;D Really, though, I've seen in multiple cadet programs that adults often kill the momemtum, often by being ridiculously illogical.. Hmm.

P.S. How about sending a PM with some of those weird proposals? Sounds like good reading, being I know how off the wall we teens can be.  8)
Quote from: dogboy on June 16, 2010, 08:06:34 PM
Many countries require that a safety vest be available in  any car on a public road. It's an excellent idea. I give them out as gifts. Could easily save a life. Cost only about $5
Wonderful Christmas idea for CAP! Thank you sir!

HGjunkie

Quote from: dogboy on June 16, 2010, 08:06:34 PM
Isn't Germany one of those countries?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Here's what the folks where my sweetie works wear:

http://www.shopdirectbrands.com/ergodyne-glowearr-8250z-class-2-surveyors-vest-erg-8250z.html

$20.15; sturdy, mesh back, ANSI Class 2. Also available in the Lime flavour.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: FARRIER on June 16, 2010, 07:55:22 AM
Earthday Activities :o

That's why the new vest is needed.  It is all coming together now.

SarDragon

Come Together - Beatles song.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RADIOMAN015

I think overall it gives a false sense of security when wearing these vests especially next to a roadway with high speed traffic and/or large volumes of traffic.   I'm not sure we should even be stopping our vehicles on a roadway shoulder/breakdown lane as above or have any members (especially cadets) in this situation.  Unless you can pull off into a field or other parking area, a good distance from the travel road, you are in significant danger.   

We just had a state cop killed early this morning hit by an alleged drunk driver, who hit him when he was out of the cruiser after chasing another alleged drunk driver who drove up a closed ramp.  The state policeman was working a construction detail with appropriate lights, cones, etc. :(

BTW I know cops that even at the $35.00 an hour rate, won't do road jobs anymore, due to the hazards.

RM

SarDragon

In my area, it is frequently necessary to get out of a vehicle at the side of the road. Due to the terrain, we have to drive to the high places to listen for and triangulate ELTs. Some of these high places have adequate stopping areas, some don't.  We find the most visible place, turn on as many lights as possible, and stay as far from the traffic lane as possible, even to the extent of exiting and entering the vehicle only on the passenger side.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret