Wear of military ribbons on AF style uniform

Started by cwade1775, January 04, 2012, 02:32:39 AM

GroundHawg

spurn/spərn/Verb: Reject with disdain.

Synonyms: reject - scorn - despise - kick

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on February 15, 2012, 08:47:06 AMI remember he wore one that looked EXACTLY like the AF Good Conduct Medal ribbon...he said it was a JROTC ribbon.

Several National Guard ribbons is identical to Senior Member ribbons.

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 16, 2012, 10:43:17 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on February 15, 2012, 08:47:06 AMI remember he wore one that looked EXACTLY like the AF Good Conduct Medal ribbon...he said it was a JROTC ribbon.

Several National Guard ribbons is identical to Senior Member ribbons.

There are 53 "National Guards" in the US. They all have "State" awards and decs. So yeah, there may be some overlap in designs.

Hawk200

Quote from: GroundHawg on February 16, 2012, 09:33:26 AM

I was asking River what the term meant to him. Some people have different ideas.

I consider the definition above the appropriate one, and as such, I have never spurned my CAP decs. When I first rejoined, I threw my mil rack on my blues for the first few times, until I could get more CAP decs.

Had  run in with a cadet lt. that snidely told me, "I've got more ribbons than you!" He ended rather surprised, and a little miffed, a few months later when I showed up at a wing conference with my new rack. It wasn't an attempt to belittle him, but I think he tried to take it that way.

RiverAux

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 18, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
When I first rejoined, I threw my mil rack on my blues for the first few times, until I could get more CAP decs.
Yeah, thats quite a bit different than the subject of this thread though.  No one is going to have a problem with that (assuming all the ribbons are authorized for the CAP uniform and paperwork backs them up, of course). 

abdsp51

Flying Pig

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 18, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on February 16, 2012, 09:33:26 AM

I was asking River what the term meant to him. Some people have different ideas.

I consider the definition above the appropriate one, and as such, I have never spurned my CAP decs. When I first rejoined, I threw my mil rack on my blues for the first few times, until I could get more CAP decs.

Had  run in with a cadet lt. that snidely told me, "I've got more ribbons than you!" He ended rather surprised, and a little miffed, a few months later when I showed up at a wing conference with my new rack. It wasn't an attempt to belittle him, but I think he tried to take it that way.

When I was a DCC, I had a cadet tell Col. Lewis Millet that he (the cadet) had more ribbons than he did.  Col Millet smiled and said "Yes you do son, Yes you do."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Millett

BillB

I went to a ceremoney at The Area V.A. Hospital a few years ago. CAP Cadets were showing up with 5-6 rows of ribbons. But one World War II veteran showed up with only two rows. But the top one was a pretty blue one with small white stars.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: BillB on February 18, 2012, 10:49:36 PM
I went to a ceremoney at The Area V.A. Hospital a few years ago. CAP Cadets were showing up with 5-6 rows of ribbons. But one World War II veteran showed up with only two rows. But the top one was a pretty blue one with small white stars.

Awesome. Did the cadets know what it was?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Abby.L

Quote from: davidsinn on February 18, 2012, 11:34:19 PM

I would hope the cadet knows what it is. Myself being a cadet, I have noticed a general lack of knowledge of military ribbons. While I do not claim that I know them all, I at least know what the Medal(Ribbon?) Of Honor looks like, and how we should respect the recipient.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Levilockling on February 18, 2012, 11:40:42 PM

I would hope the cadet knows what it is. Myself being a cadet, I have noticed a general lack of knowledge of military ribbons. While I do not claim that I know them all, I at least know what the Medal(Ribbon?) Of Honor looks like, and how we should respect the recipient.
+1.

I know you salute MoH wearers, but do you call the room to attention, also?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Abby.L

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 18, 2012, 11:54:57 PM

+1.

Ya know, I'm not entirely sure. I'd imagine so, but you may have to check that for us.... All I know is that most cadets wouldn't realize a MOH recipient was in the room if it slapped them in the face like a cold shower...  :angel:
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

JayT

Quote from: Levilockling on February 19, 2012, 12:01:11 AM

+1.

Ya know, I'm not entirely sure. I'd imagine so, but you may have to check that for us.... All I know is that most cadets wouldn't realize a MOH recipient was in the room if it slapped them in the face like a cold shower...  :angel:

The saluting MoH winner is a matter of tradition rather then regulation.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

+1.

I was at a CPO pinning ceremony some years ago, and the guest of honor was John Finn. When he arrived, the entire gathering was called to attention, and we didn't sit again until he did.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPsteve

CyBorg.

I agree with you.  I have 29 Military ribbons from 25 years of service in the AF, Army, and State Guard.  I have been in CAP for 9 months and now have "earned" 6 CAP ribbons. My problem is; when I wear all my ribbons(I have 5 Citations with the gold medal edging) and they cause the rack to bend.  I am thinkingabout  to wear that rack only on my dress blues and just maybe 6 on my shirt.

Does anyone know how to keep the rack from bending if I do wear all ribbons?  I though of the plastic racks, but are afraid they may bend and brake.  The prongs on the back are to short to place carboard behind it.  About half of those ribbons, I was awarded in combat.  I may give up some of the other ribbons, but not the combat one.

what do any of you think about this problem?

Eclipse

Run a piece of 7-10 mil lamination though the machine with nothing in the pouch.  This produces a transparent enforcer that can be cut to any shape you
need and will keep the ribbons from bending or pulling down the shirt.

Place your ribbons and badges on the shirt over a box with the plastic in place behind the shirt.  Punch the ribbon rack and badges into place through to the box.  This insures they don't move during placement and are aligned properly.  The enforcer should be large enough to encompass the whole
rack and both badges (if applicable), so that they are one unit on the shirt.

Carefully pull up the material with the enforcer and put on the frogs.

When you cut the enforcer, make sure you round the corners.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPsteve

SarDragon,  You are correct about the MOH.  You salute the MOH, not the holder of the Medal.  The winner of the MOH receives the respect he deserves while wearing the MOH.

If he was not wearing the medal and you did not know him, he would just be another guy on the street, Right?  So, it's the MOH that is honored,   the persons deeds is what earned him the MOH.

CAPsteve

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on February 19, 2012, 08:26:18 PM
Run a piece of 7-10 mil lamination though the machine with nothing in the pouch.  This produces a transparent enforcer that can be cut to any shape you
need and will keep the ribbons from bending or pulling down the shirt.

Place your ribbons and badges on the shirt over a box with the plastic in place behind the shirt.  Punch the ribbon rack and badges into place through to the box.  This insures they don't move during placement and are aligned properly.  The enforcer should be large enough to encompass the whole
rack and both badges (if applicable), so that they are one unit on the shirt.

Carefully pull up the material with the enforcer and put on the frogs.

When you cut the enforcer, make sure you round the corners.

I have 3 with frames and it jacks up my rack as well. There was a tailor in Korea that would trim the frames and then glue them on top of the ribbon so the rack would stay flat. I havent tried this myself as the frames and ribbons are $3 a pop but it really looked good and the curved rack was no more.

MSG Mac

Quote from: JThemann on February 19, 2012, 12:15:57 AM
Quote from: Levilockling on February 19, 2012, 12:01:11 AM

+1.

The saluting MoH winner is a matter of tradition rather then regulation.

The individual recipients of the Medal of Honor didn't win them, they EARNED them. Please refer to them as Medal of Honor recepient or awardees.  I have know or met many, none of them considered it won.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member