cap comms article in august, 1944 qst

Started by starshippe, February 01, 2012, 02:27:12 AM

starshippe

mr elwood capelle mentions "wers" several times in the article, without explaining it. my guess is that it means something like wartime emergency radio system, and i believe that anyone with a radio transmitter in the early to mid 40s would be well aware of it.

my thanks to one of my cap mentors, wally b, for the article. i hope u find it as interesting as i did.
   also thanks to jerry who massaged the jpg files into a usable form.

73, (best regards)
bill

amateur radio call sign k4tve, licensed in 1960

i will post the files as soon as jerry can get the upload buffers freed up. i kinda plugged them up. stick with us......

Major Lord

I am particularly interested in how they used semaphore, smoke signals, and drums back in the Jurassic period of CAP!

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jks19714

If I remember correctly, WERS had frequencies around 112 MHz (AM, I would assume).  I think it was kind of a precursor to RACES.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

starshippe

u were close on the freq, 115.5 mc. they were mc's back then! was it in fact the wartime emergency radio system?

theres a most interesting part on how they checked their transmitting frequency weekly. i had never heard of lecher wires.

i asked for and received permission to use all of the last page. they paid tribute to two hams lost in action, i wanted to remember them also. and, there was a short article introducing several new "button base" vacuum tubes, including the 6aq6.

these jpg files are fairly easily readable when enlarged. altogether most interesting. hope u enjoy,

bill

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Major Lord on February 01, 2012, 03:11:13 AM
I am particularly interested in how they used semaphore, smoke signals, and drums back in the Jurassic period of CAP!

Major Lord

We stopped?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

jks19714

We've since upgraded from smoke signals to HF (Huge Flames).  ::)
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

BillB

But since the change to narrow band, the use of VHF has dropped.    VHF= Very Huge Flames
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on February 04, 2012, 11:36:13 AM
But since the change to narrow band, the use of VHF has dropped.    VHF= Very Huge Flames

In what respect?  I haven't seen any more, or less, mission or activity use of CAP radios since the conversion.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

It's a joke, Bob. A joke.

[Lighten up, Francis]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Actually, a number of folks have were using modified ham radios did not make the transition. I know of a couple who were demanding CAP provide them with a new radio AND buy their old one since CAP decided to make it worthless. They have since left CAP.

davidsinn

Quote from: arajca on February 04, 2012, 08:30:41 PM
Actually, a number of folks have were using modified ham radios did not make the transition. I know of a couple who were demanding CAP provide them with a new radio AND buy their old one since CAP decided to make it worthless. They have since left CAP.

Good riddance.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn