Main Menu

Region Boundaries

Started by Turk, June 15, 2008, 09:46:31 PM

Turk

Cuz' we need to partner with state governments, that's why. State governments don't like sending funds or tasking missions out of state.  Debate regions all you like - we must have wings.

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

RiverAux

CAP is much more tied to states than CG Aux, which has very limited ability to even talk to other agencies.  So long as the majority of CAP Wings are getting state funding, it just makes sense to keep them as a command level. 

As to membership by region, I think these boundaries were drawn when CAP was up to twice as big as it is now and there have been pretty dramatic shifts in US population since we were formed.  For example, I doubt California, Florida, and Texas were the powerhouses of CAP membership at the time that they are today. 

IceNine

One slightly less important factor is the fact that there are members is wings that have never and may never see their region commander, because of distance, etc.

I'd say just draw 5 huge circles on a map, and divide up the the pieces that are left behind.

Then everything that is non-Conus goes in a region of its own.

That puts us slightly above the recommended span of control with approx 9 wings per region but I believe that most regions could accomodate the added traffic.  Especially when you consider that you will by default have more region level staff officers from the disolved regions
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Recognize reality and just have a region commander and vice commander and let everyone else deal directly with NHQ.  No need for middlemen with no real authority (for the most part). 

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on June 19, 2008, 10:27:55 PM
Recognize reality and just have a region commander and vice commander and let everyone else deal directly with NHQ.  No need for middlemen with no real authority (for the most part). 

Reverse that.  Just have a Wing Commander.......no need for the Region to act as middleman!
What's up monkeys?

IceNine

Wait change it all and do away with command!  Anarchy is proven to be the coolest form of gov't ever!
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

Quote from: IceNine on June 19, 2008, 11:45:57 PM
Wait change it all and do away with command!  Anarchy is proven to be the coolest form of gov't ever!

Ya.....thats what CAP seems to be operating under sometimes! 
What's up monkeys?