Need Help from My Fellow AD Folks

Started by unmlobo, January 31, 2013, 02:20:43 AM

unmlobo

My EPR is coming up and my supervisor knows what CAP is and what we do.  However in trying to "make me stand out above my peers" my supervisor would like a more detailed description of some of the things I do.  I am not sure how to explain Mission Scanner and GTL to my weather folks and have it fit in that tiny box.  Also trying to figure out how to describe and what it means to have completed OBC, CLC, Level 3, and my promotion to Capt.  In year since my last EPR I have done all that and done the BISC course and hoping to complete the Inland SAR Course in the next few months.  Most look at me like a monkey looking at a math problem when I talk about CAP and what I do, so any help would be great.
Major, CAP
HI WG

James Shaw

Similar to what I came across a few years ago.

1) Mission Scanner is part of a 3 person aircrew that is utilized to look for downed aircraft, lost persons, or observe and photograph natural disasters. As a mission scanner I have responsibility as part of the aircrew to look for abnormalities in the area thatnmaynlead to the discovery of persons, aircraft or whatever we are tasked for. I support the air crew by making sure that we are safe and effective by letting the pilot concentrate on flying the plane while i keep the other members updated on any possible sightings. This could make be the difference between finding a survivor or starting a recovery operation.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Tim Medeiros

How many missions, training or actual, have you done in the last year?  In the actual missions, what were the results?  Any finds?  Any saves?  How many hours did you spend on those courses?  How many hours have you volunteered at meetings?  Did you lead any of the meetings?  How much preparation was involved in the meetings?  Any planning/leading of outside meeting activities?

These are all things that my supervisor has asked me for my last EPR, this way she would be able to form a better, and quantitative, bullet.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

abdsp51

You are thinking way to much into it.  Chances are CAP is going to be one bullet for your EPR now the question is though is this a fluff bullet to fill space or do you truly stand out amongst your peers?

jimmydeanno

I'm not sure about the phrasing for your EPR, but if you are doing something substantial in CAP, as well as volunteering for other things in a substantial way, try to get yourself the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.  It's worth promotion points, and if you're looking to get BTZ SrA or something, it can help in that regard.  Additionally, it'll help you stand out among your peers who just play xbox in their dorms every afternoon.

http://www.afpc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=7817
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

abdsp51

His EPR will play a factor in any decoration that is being written.  But with the system being majorly overinflated very few rarely stand out from their peers.

unmlobo

It is for my EPR, PCS decoration, and possible OCS (yes Army OCS) application.  I happened to get "lucky" and be stationed in a squadron with overachievers from Hades.   My supervisor says I am a good Airman, however not "stand out" like the overachievers who get all the attention.  I am trying to use CAP as bullet for AFAM if possible and OCS application.  Thanks for the info so far, I will start to get numbers and such.
Major, CAP
HI WG

lordmonar

Quote from: unmlobo on January 31, 2013, 02:20:43 AM
My EPR is coming up and my supervisor knows what CAP is and what we do.  However in trying to "make me stand out above my peers" my supervisor would like a more detailed description of some of the things I do.  I am not sure how to explain Mission Scanner and GTL to my weather folks and have it fit in that tiny box.  Also trying to figure out how to describe and what it means to have completed OBC, CLC, Level 3, and my promotion to Capt.  In year since my last EPR I have done all that and done the BISC course and hoping to complete the Inland SAR Course in the next few months.  Most look at me like a monkey looking at a math problem when I talk about CAP and what I do, so any help would be great.
Retired MSgt who use CAP for EPR bullets.

Go with specifics.

Have you done any missions?  Any CD or SAREX evals?
Do you have any staff jobs at the squadorn level?
As for OBC and CLC.....those are leadership courses....."completed CAP basic and intermediate leadership courses"
For being just Scanner Trained......"fully qualified as a CAP search and rescue Scanner".

Remember ACTION, IMPACT, Signifcants.   Did Scanner Training, raised CAP wing mission readiness level by XX, resulted in wing compling XX missions with XX finds.

Remember even if you yourself did not get a find.....even if CAP on the mission is not credited with a find/save.....we did our part to get the mission done.  This is not stealing anyones glory......effective searching of an empty grid will result in a negitive find....but it allowed the find team to seach another grid where the target was actually in.

If you have  squadron staff job......"manage the personnel records for XX squadorn members, ensuging all promotions and decorations processed on time" 

If you would like....shoot me your bullets and I'll do a quick word smith on them....so you can give some draft bullets to your supervisor.

Also note.....you don't want more then two or three lines unless you can show some really strong leadership opprotunities.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP