CAP & CGAux: Cultural Differences

Started by Turk, October 10, 2011, 10:05:05 PM

Turk

There have been a number of postings in this forum citing both similarities and differences between our nations's two armed forces auxiliaries. One interesting difference is that the Aux has declined to adopt ranks and titles of their parent organization. Yes, Auxies has functional titles of office, but terms of address are limited to "Auxiliarist," and for the high and mighty, "Commodore." Given the closer operational relationship with their parent body (plus no cadets to train or impress) this has worked well on their end. Another interesting difference is that Auxies salute armed forces regulars with grander insignia... but not each other.

This is by no means a greener-grass argument for changing CAP's traditions - these date back 70 years, and they have worked well. While both organizations could do with fewer peacocks trolling for salutes on base, most CAP members and Auxies are above that foolishness.

Device    CAP Title     Aux Title

None       SM              Auxiliarist
O-1         2nd Lt         Auxiliarist
O-2         1st Lt          Auxiliarist
O-3         Capt            Auxiliarist
O-4         Maj              Auxiliarist
O-5         Lt Col          Auxiliarist
O-6         Col              Auxiliarist
O-7         Brig Gen      Commodore
O-8         Maj Gen       Commodore
O-9         N/A              Commodore

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

RiverAux

Well, you have cherry picked one of the most insignificant "cultural" differences between the organization. 

As many well know, as a practical matter CAP senior member grades are ignored more than they are used when seniors are by themselves.  About the only senior member grade that I've ever seen consistently used by subordinates is Colonel when referring to the Wing Commander.  In actuality the CAP culture is to generally not use ranks even though they are required to by regulation.   

Chief2009

Yeah, after I changed to a senior member, I was amazed at how rank seems to mostly go out the window when the cadets aren't around.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Eclipse

^ Where do you guys get this stuff? 

That's not my experience at all, nor my expectation as a member and a staffer.  Also, I'm not sure the point of the thread itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Where?  Personal experience.  It has probably gotten worse over the last 10 years as the golf shirt has begun to dominate -- if you have no visible sign of someone's rank, its hard to use it.

Didn't say it was right, just the way things generally work. 

Eclipse

My personal experience - I address everyone by grade and last name, and rarely if ever use first names, even for peers and subordinates, and I expect the same in my presence, and that is regardless of the uniform worn, so whether or not I am in a golf shirt is irrelevant, I also disagree they are any more (or less) prevalent today than in the past.

If you set the tone and the bar properly, these things have a way of working themselves out.

As to "not knowing someone's grade" rarely do members interact with strangers on a regular basis, so this is an invalid excuse.  I know the grade and position of those I am working with, or I find out, usually by asking, or during introductions.

I suppose you can say this is circular, and doesn't happen when I walk out the door, but that does not seem to be the case for others whom I have
brought up through positions of leadership or influence.

"That Others May Zoom"

RRLE

Back to the OP, there are 2 mistakes in it.

Mistake 1.

QuoteYes, Auxies has functional titles of office, but terms of address are limited to "Auxiliarist," and for the high and mighty, "Commodore."

There is no title "Auxiliarist". Auxies are addressed either by first name (most common) or Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss. Sometimes, without official status, someone might refer to an Auxie as "Auxiliarist" but it has no official status in the Auxiliary Manual (AuxMan). Auxiliarist is a term that describes who the person is - not their title. The older term of endearment, circa WWII and the immediate post-war period was Auxiliaryman. An example:

AuxMan Promulgation Letter

QuotePURPOSE. This Manual establishes policies and procedures for all Coast Guard members who are involved with the administration of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, including Auxiliarists, military, and civilian personnel.

A reason why military titles may be banned for Auxies might be found in this section of the AuxMan

AuxMan 2.B.21. Coast Guard Unit Support

QuoteWhile carrying out support missions, no titles of office or position shall be assigned, formally or informally, which imply supervision, direction, or any leadership role over any other Coast Guard member or Coast Guard Auxiliarist, unless directed in rare and urgent instances by the Coast Guard unit commander. This does not include watchstation qualifications. Only the Coast Guard unit commander may assign any unit duty, title, or responsibility (e.g., communications watchstander, boat crew member) to an Auxiliarist.

Mistake 2

QuoteAnother interesting difference is that Auxies salute armed forces regulars with grander insignia... but not each other.

Every Auxie, regardless of the stars, bars, chickens or leaves on thars salutes all commissioned officers, regardless of the commissioned officer's rank. That means the National Commodore, the O-9, in the table, must salute the newest minted Ensign.

The AuxMan cite for the above.

AuxMan 12.A.1. Greetings

QuoteThe hand salute is a long-established form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in the Armed Forces. Saluting is proper courtesy for Auxiliarists when greeting commissioned officers of the Armed Forces including National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) uniformed officers who serve with the Armed Forces

There have been several attempts to change the policy to what the OP said it was, but all those attempts failed. The policy quoted above is from the recently (last month or so) released AuxMan.

sandman

Quote from: RRLE on October 11, 2011, 11:53:50 AM

AuxMan 12.A.1. Greetings

QuoteThe hand salute is a long-established form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in the Armed Forces. Saluting is proper courtesy for Auxiliarists when greeting commissioned officers of the Armed Forces including National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) uniformed officers who serve with the Armed Forces

There have been several attempts to change the policy to what the OP said it was, but all those attempts failed. The policy quoted above is from the recently (last month or so) released AuxMan.

By matter of convention, I will not salute a "newly minted" Ensign first. I also would not suggest that you do the same as it "muddies the water". I would allow the new Ensign to follow his/her training and initiate the salute if he or she chooses to do so. The Auxiliary Manual remains vague in that "saluting is a proper courtesy" but not mandated by law.

I have not seen any problems with the salute between AUX and CG at the various CG units I've visited. In my experience, almost all have seemed to follow the normal "rank" convention when initiating and returning a salute along with mentoring of new auxiliarists who quickly pick up on this time honored courtesy.

Again, this is just my experience.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

RiverAux

sandman, if that Ensign has received the proper training he/she will know that they are not required or expected to initiate salutes to Auxies.  On the other hand, a properly trained Auxie will know that they are required to initiate such a salute. 

Hardshell Clam

When I was in the USCG Aux were elected to an Officer" position, or appointed to staff by the elected. Once you have a grade, you never have to take it off even if you are no longer in that position. Grade does not mean a lot, position does... Has that changed?

RiverAux

Nope.  But, essentially that is how it works in CAP too.  Your grade doesn't matter, just your position. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RRLE on October 11, 2011, 11:53:50 AM
Every Auxie, regardless of the stars, bars, chickens or leaves on thars salutes all commissioned officers, regardless of the commissioned officer's rank. That means the National Commodore, the O-9, in the table, must salute the newest minted Ensign.

Or Warrant Officer 1.

WIWAAUXIE, saluting between Auxiliarists was not banned but strongly discouraged.

Frankly, the alphabet soup of office designations, red "A" v. blue "A," me with a piston ring and a half (Vice Flotilla Commander) being on a first name basis with a Division Captain (four piston rings), while being saluted and called "Lieutenant" by Sailors, Marines, Soldiers and Airmen caused a bit of cognitive dissonance with me.  There is a very zealous anti-military faction within the Aux who believe all military-related appurtenances within the Aux should be deleted (hi Radioman!), and a smaller, less-vocal element who support Auxies having such titles (rationale: the Navy Sea Cadet Corps and CAP).  I never did get all the office designations straight, especially when dealing with shipmates who were entitled to more than one (having one at flotilla level, and one at division level) and technically entitled to two (or more) separate uniforms!

The anti-military-titles lot would tell me that I should, on every occasion I was wrongly saluted and addressed as "Lieutenant," I needed to stop and "educate" them that I was not a Lieutenant, I was not entitled to a salute and that in future if they saw a CGAuxiliarist they would maybe not make the same error.  Others, with perhaps a bit more common sense and less pedantry, would just say "return the salute and greeting and go on."

I think the CGAUX system is overcomplicated, but they didn't ask me.

I have to go along with RiverAux about the cultural shift in CAP - back when I first joined, in 1993, it was always, as long as you were in uniform, "Lieutenant," "Captain, "Major," "Colonel."  My first squadron where I served for six years never used first names.

It was a bit of a shock to move to a senior squadron where rank titles were almost never used...in fact, there were a lot of squadron members whose ranks I didn't know because all they wore was the golf shirt, or a flight suit without insignia, when they bothered to wear a uniform at all.

Now I am almost surprised when another CAP officer salutes me or calls me "sir," because it is the exception rather than the rule.  When I first joined, it was the other way around.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RiverAux

QuoteWIWAAUXIE, saluting between Auxiliarists was not banned but strongly discouraged.
Still the case.

I know an Auxie who spent significant amounts of time augmenting on a cutter as well as a month on Deepwater Horizon and had the opportunity to run into hundreds of Coasties and was never saluted by anyone in the CG.  I think the CG, for the most part, knows the rules and "accidental" saluting is even less of an issue than between CAP and the AF (which is a "problem" which doesn't actually exist).  One of the benefits of having a close working relationship with your parent service.

I've been in the Aux myself for over 6 years and no one has ever told me to "educate" any misguided Coasties that salute Auxies. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2011, 03:06:48 AM
I've been in the Aux myself for over 6 years and no one has ever told me to "educate" any misguided Coasties that salute Auxies.

It wasn't Coasties; it was members of other services.  I never had that issue with Coasties.

About the "issue" of saluting viz. CAP and the AF...I tend to shy away from contact with AF enlisted/junior NCO's because I don't want to inadvertently do something stupid that would cause said Airman to make yet another complaint about a CAP officer. >:(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PA Guy

There is an easy solution to the Auxie saluting problem.  When I augment or know I'm going to be around military personnel of any flavor I just wear the member insignia. Problem solved.  I augment monthly at a large CG Airstation and spent several wks assigned to DWH and never had a problem with wearing the member insignia.  As a matter of fact I advocate the wearing of that insignia to replace all the stars, bars, leaves and chickens.  Might not be a bad idea for CAP too.

SARDOC

Quote from: PA Guy on October 12, 2011, 06:22:51 PM
There is an easy solution to the Auxie saluting problem.  When I augment or know I'm going to be around military personnel of any flavor I just wear the member insignia. Problem solved.  I augment monthly at a large CG Airstation and spent several wks assigned to DWH and never had a problem with wearing the member insignia.  As a matter of fact I advocate the wearing of that insignia to replace all the stars, bars, leaves and chickens.  Might not be a bad idea for CAP too.

Okay That got me thinking.  I'm not a member of the CG Aux. but if Rank doesn't mean anything like in Civil Air Patrol.  Why do we wear grade insignia?  In the rest of the world rank insignia doesn't represent seniority or development in the professional development program it represents authority.

PA Guy

Because we have always done it that way?  Or maybe it's because toooo many people in both organizations think it is somehow real and take it really, really seriously?

Eclipse

I earned mine, so did others here.  If you don't want to wear yours, don't, but knock of the "it's not real" nonsense.  It's 100% real in the
organization >I< belong to.  If we all worried less about other services, and just stayed in our lane, we'd all be better off.

I don't choose which uniform or insignia to wear based on a concern that some misinformed person might misinterpret its meaning, that's on them, not me.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Eclipse,

You don't have the creds to lecture me.  You need to get out more.

Eclipse

Please, enlighten me.

It's OK for you to denigrate the hard work of our members, but when I call you on it that's a "lecture"?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

When I augment or know I'm going to be around military personnel of any flavor I just wear the member insignia. Problem solved.  I augment monthly at a large CG Airstation and spent several wks assigned to DWH and never had a problem with wearing the member insignia. 

Actually, Auxies are required to wear the member insignia in those situations. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2011, 09:30:42 PM

Or as directed by the CG officer/NCO in charge.

I used to keep a pair of the "Member" collar dogs in my pocket just in case.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PA Guy

Quote from: Eclipse on October 12, 2011, 08:17:03 PM
Please, enlighten me.

It's OK for you to denigrate the hard work of our members, but when I call you on it that's a "lecture"?

Spare me your self righteous indignation.  I didn't denigrate anyone.  If you haven't encountered the situation I described you are naive.  Be careful you don't get a nose bleed up there on that high horse.

PA Guy

When I augment or know I'm going to be around military personnel of any flavor I just wear the member insignia. Problem solved.  I augment monthly at a large CG Airstation and spent several wks assigned to DWH and never had a problem with wearing the member insignia. 

But I think all too often that is ignored.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PA Guy on October 12, 2011, 11:15:37 PM

Or if the commissioned officer, warrant officer or NCOIC doesn't have a problem with it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RiverAux

Quote from: PA Guy on October 12, 2011, 11:15:37 PM

So, you're saying that it is regular practice in your area for Aux members to wear their office insignia when augmenting and that this has not been authorized by the local CG folks? 

Keep in mind that you're not required to wear member insignia just because you're around the CG.  For example, if you're going to the station for a meeting or something, thats fine.  If CG people come on an Aux facility for a mission you don't have to switch to member insignia either.  The guy I know who was on DWH didn't come across any Auxies with office devices on.    Since so few Auxies actually work with the CG in such a way that this rule would apply to them, it isn't a factor for the vast majority of Auxies. 

Eclipse

Quote from: PA Guy on October 12, 2011, 11:14:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 12, 2011, 08:17:03 PM
Please, enlighten me.

Spare me your self righteous indignation.  I didn't denigrate anyone.  If you haven't encountered the situation I described you are naive.  Be careful you don't get a nose bleed up there on that high horse.

Encounter what situation?

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on October 12, 2011, 11:33:08 PMSo, you're saying that it is regular practice in your area for Aux members to wear their office insignia when augmenting and that this has not been authorized by the local CG folks? 

Keep in mind that you're not required to wear member insignia just because you're around the CG.  For example, if you're going to the station for a meeting or something, thats fine.  If CG people come on an Aux facility for a mission you don't have to switch to member insignia either.  The guy I know who was on DWH didn't come across any Auxies with office devices on.    Since so few Auxies actually work with the CG in such a way that this rule would apply to them, it isn't a factor for the vast majority of Auxies.

Prior to the current AUXMAN I had heard it both ways... since at the time Member insignia was not expressly required for shore assignments, but some stations required it as a condition of assignment.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Hmm, I don't recall any distinction in the old AUXMAN, but its been a while since I looked at that particular factoid.

O-Rex

Why are we limiting this discussion to only superficial issues like rank, titles and salutes?  The cultural differences run a bit deeper.

First off, let me say that the Aux is not better or worse than CAP, it's just different.

The Aux has no 'corporate-owned' assets: on a mission, you're riding in someone's personally-owned boat or plane.

The Aux has a much closer relationship to it's patron service, in fact, it is considered a component of the USCG, and for certain functions and activites, Aux members and Coast Guardsmen are interchangealbe, like radio watchstanding, some boat crew positions, and even Admissions Reps for the Coast Guard Academy.  Some training, such as Team Coordination Training is actually joint Active Duty/Auxiliary.

An Auxiliary Commander cannot disenroll (2b) another Aux member, that is done by by a Coast Guard Officer, usually the District Director of Auxiliary (DIRAUX.)

CAP places more emphasis on Professional Development.

Aux Online exams are MUCH tougher.

Aux has only TWO distinctive uniforms: Blazer combo, and Operational Polo/Shorts uniform (the latter is never worn when interfacing with the actual Coast Guard.)

Commanders and Vice Commanders at all levels are elected by the membership.

The Aux has no Cadet component.

Internal safety program is managed and administered by the Coast Guard.

Commanding a Flotilla is not as administratively cumbersome as commanding a Squadron.

If you have an IG issue in the Aux, you better be serious about it because it actually goes to the Coast Guard IG.

In my opinion, there is more of a 'thank you for your service' feel from both the Aux and the Coast Guard.

All that said and done, the Aux has its gate-keepers, good old boy cliques, and machiavellian types just like CAP does.  Regarless of the costume, people are people, good and bad.

GroundHawg

Here is my handy dandy solution to this issue. I am an USCG Aux member as well.

I have the sewn on member insignia on my ODU collars. Looks good, is safer, and you never have to change them out.

I then have two covers, one silver thread USCG Aux hat with my "rank/grade" on it that I wear to Aux only functions. I also have a gold thread MSD hat of the unit I augment with the member insignia device that is worn when working directly with the USCG.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: GroundHawg on October 13, 2011, 07:21:43 PM
Here is my handy dandy solution to this issue. I am an USCG Aux member as well.

I have the sewn on member insignia on my ODU collars. Looks good, is safer, and you never have to change them out.

I then have two covers, one silver thread USCG Aux hat with my "rank/grade" on it that I wear to Aux only functions. I also have a gold thread MSD hat of the unit I augment with the member insignia device that is worn when working directly with the USCG.

Coming from someone completely unfamiliar with the USCG AUX, if you had the member insignia in one place, but actual "rank" in the other at the same time, wouldn't that be against regs from a uniformity standpoint?  (...assuming the hat you have your rank / grade on is worn with your ODU.)  I'd tend to think it would be either all member devices, or all rank... 

RiverAux

Not sure it is spelled out that they must match, but it makes sense. 

SARDOC

Quote from: RiverAux on October 13, 2011, 08:50:19 PM
Not sure it is spelled out that they must match, but it makes sense.

The "Sense" factor should not be brought up in uniform discussions.   Thank you for your cooperation.

;D

RiverAux

O-Rex brings up a lot of differences between the two organizations, but I'm not sure I would call most of the "cultural" differences.   I see cultural differences in describing more general characteristics of the the organizations and the people in them rather than specific details of how they do things. 

One big cultural difference: 
CAP has a much more top-down approach to things than CG Aux.  There is a reason we call them Wing Kings/Queens.  The CAP Wing Commander has more actual authority than any Aux elected or staff officer.  The only thing that comes close is the Coast Guard officer that is the Director of Auxiliary in each CG District.  Your Wing Commander can have significant impact on your CAP life, but nothing like that exists in the Aux. 

I think in general that Auxies focus much more on accomplishing the mission rather than the minutia of running the organization.  Much more focused on external matters rather than internal issues. This is probably because there are always missions to do and they are not as stuck as CAP is waiting for a SAR or disaster to happen before they can do much. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 13, 2011, 10:50:38 PMI think in general that Auxies focus much more on accomplishing the mission rather than the minutia of running the organization.  Much more focused on external matters rather than internal issues. This is probably because there are always missions to do and they are not as stuck as CAP is waiting for a SAR or disaster to happen before they can do much.

Isn't this also because they are primarily operators with a single, external mission?

CAP would be a different world if we didn't have to run things ourselves and could just come and play.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

No, each unit still has to take care of the nuts and bolts of finances, collecting dues, holding meetings, pushing paperwork to get people qualified, arranging for meeting places (many have set locations like many CAP squadrons, so have associated bills).  The big administrative difference is that the CG makes the final decision on a lot of things like awards, but its still up to the Auxies to do the paperwork to get that stuff in the CG hands.

Well, CAP actually has a major external mission (AE) in which it has as an incredible amount of flexibility in terms of how it is carried out.  CAP just doesn't really consider it a major mission like boating safety is in the Aux.  To some extent with the elementary school program that is changing a bit in CAP. 

True, CG-Aux doesn't have an inward focused cadet program like CAP, but the CG operational progams have a lot of similarities.  The main difference is that CG Aux operational missions are more focused on showing the flag and being present in case an emergency happens rather than in response like CAP is in general regarding SAR and disaster relief (though there are even some overlaps there). 

To some extent the fact that CG Aux has turned its primary mission of recreational boating safety into a multitude of different programs (boating safety classes of many types, boating safety inspections, putting boating safety info racks out at stores, etc., etc.) makes it seem like the Aux has many more missions than CAPs single AE mission.  But, if CAP wanted to they could do something similar with AE.  However, without the life safety aspect no one is really going to get that motivated.

Now, if CAP had an overall mission of recreational flying safety, it would open up a lot more potential missions. 

Eclipse

I agree on the outreach stuff, neither side of the table is going to have a lot of success with pamphlets and seminars at the local library.

What else does the CGAux do besides boating safety-related operations?

Safety and Security Patrols
Search and Rescue
Mass Causality or Disasters
Pollution Response & Patrols
Homeland Security
Recreational Boating Safety
Commerical Fishing and Vessel Exams
Platforms for Boarding Parties
Recruit for all service in the Coast Guard

But to an outsider looking in it all looks like boating / water stuff (besides the squishy HLS reference), so no water, no play.

"That Others May Zoom"

RRLE

QuoteAux has only TWO distinctive uniforms: Blazer combo, and Operational Polo/Shorts uniform (the latter is never worn when interfacing with the actual Coast Guard.)

The  Aux has more then 2 distinctive unis, although some of them are rarely worn by the average Auxies, aka Bilge Mice.

Blue Blazer - can be worn in place of almost any uni except the work unis in some situations. Popularity varies all over the ballpark. In some areas it is never seen, it others it is the uniform of choice.

Dinner Dress Blue Jacket - very uncommon except for the Grandees.
Dinner Dress White Jacket - same as above

Dinner Dress Blue  - a less formal version of the above 2, more formal then the next 2. It is a more gussied up version of Service Dress Blue. Mostly the same useage as the above 2.

Service Dress White  - very uncommon, probably due to the problem and cost of keeping it clean. Rarely seen in photos or 'live'.

Service Dress Blue  - official Uniform of the Day. Common in northern realms, especially in the winter. Becomes uncommon the further south you go.

Winter Dress Blue - a less formal version of the above. Same useage pattern.

Tropical Blue aka Trops - another official Uniform of the Day. Very common year round in the southern realm, common in the north in the summer.

Undress Blue – Summer (Alpha) - obsolete as of 31 Dec 2012. A once common uniform that was a bit less formal then Trops.

Undress Blue – Summer (Bravo) - a working version of the one above. Also going extinct on the same date.

Working Blue, aka WB - the one time standard and popular work uniform. Also going the way of the dodo.

Operational Dress Uniform (ODU) - The work uniform that replaced the Working Blue. Comes in an old but still wearable tucked and the new untucked version. Extremely common. Probably is only rivaled by the Hot Weather Uniform for wear. The uniform most likely to be worn when augmenting.

Hot Weather Uniform - This is the shorts uniform and it has a polo shirt option. Very, very common uni in the south year round. Common in the north in the summer.

Flight Suit - still available to the chargrin of some in the original and good looking blue or the current drab olive drab. Although authorized only for flight ops, it is worn by some wannabees to meetings.

Auxiliary Chef (AUXCHEF) Uniform - Obviously a very specialized uniform and you have to earn the right to wear it.

All of the above are descirbed in the AuxMan. There is one last, very specialized, uniform that Auxies may wear. It is described in the CG Uni Regs. The uniform may only be worn by members (Auxies, Coasties etc) who are members of an authorized USCG Pipe Band. The uniform is the USCG Tartan.

RADIOMAN015

Worked with them as project officer for a joint CAP USCG aux a few years back (on a river they patrol).  I was impressed with many of them, overall in talking with them it's much easier for them to get reimbursement for authorized activities than in CAP (they have an on line system the members can access) and also it seems they have more "scheduled" type activities supporting the USCG such as watch standing and also the prime support for the light house in Boston harbor area.     HOWEVER, it seemed to me that at least the inland groups, unless it was scheduled it might be difficult to get any assistance.  For example last year, the USCG notified us about a week before the "Wreaths Across America" ceremony, that they would be unable to provide a representative.  We requested assistance from the local group and they couldn't find anyone to volunteer ---  that was VERY surprising to us :(
RM     

RiverAux

RRLE -- I'm pretty sure he was talking about uniforms that are not based on the CG uniform that only Auxies wear sort of like what in CAP are referred to as "corporate" uniforms. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RRLE on October 14, 2011, 03:48:00 AM
QuoteAux has only TWO distinctive uniforms: Blazer combo, and Operational Polo/Shorts uniform (the latter is never worn when interfacing with the actual Coast Guard.)

The  Aux has more then 2 distinctive unis, although some of them are rarely worn by the average Auxies, aka Bilge Mice.

Yes.  The ones named except the blue blazer and polo/shorts are all modified CG unis, though I believe that some Coasties wear the polo/shorts when authorised by their OIC/NCOIC(?).  The only Auxies I ever saw wear it were VE's.

Blue Blazer - can be worn in place of almost any uni except the work unis in some situations. Popularity varies all over the ballpark. In some areas it is never seen, it others it is the uniform of choice.

I saw that one exactly one time at a Change Of Watch.

Dinner Dress Blue Jacket - very uncommon except for the Grandees.

Again, COW, worn by both gold and silver side with a lot more piston rings (and ready cash) than I had. $$$.

Dinner Dress White Jacket - same as above

Never seen, though as I live in a colder climate not surprised.

Dinner Dress Blue  - a less formal version of the above 2, more formal then the next 2. It is a more gussied up version of Service Dress Blue. Mostly the same useage as the above 2.

What I wore to Change Of Watch, etc.  White shirt and bow tie, miniature medals on CG blues.

Service Dress White  - very uncommon, probably due to the problem and cost of keeping it clean. Rarely seen in photos or 'live'.

I think that is the only Navy uniform the CG retained.  I never saw it worn by a Coastie or Auxie.

Service Dress Blue  - official Uniform of the Day. Common in northern realms, especially in the winter. Becomes uncommon the further south you go.

Winter Dress Blue - a less formal version of the above. Same useage pattern.

Agreed on both.

Tropical Blue aka Trops - another official Uniform of the Day. Very common year round in the southern realm, common in the north in the summer.

Probably the most common uniform I wore, along with Working Blues.

Undress Blue – Summer (Alpha) - obsolete as of 31 Dec 2012. A once common uniform that was a bit less formal then Trops.

Undress Blue – Summer (Bravo) - a working version of the one above. Also going extinct on the same date.

Working Blue, aka WB - the one time standard and popular work uniform. Also going the way of the dodo.

WB was being phased out when I left the Auxiliary, but I didn't know about the Undress Blues.

Hot Weather Uniform - This is the shorts uniform and it has a polo shirt option. Very, very common uni in the south year round. Common in the north in the summer.

Never saw it.

Flight Suit - still available to the chargrin of some in the original and good looking blue or the current drab olive drab. Although authorized only for flight ops, it is worn by some wannabees to meetings.

I've never seen it, except on Evilbay.  My FC was a Vietnam vet Army Aviator and DCP a Vietnam vet Naval Aviator and anyone wearing one without aircrew qualifications and to meetings would likely have been told not to do it again.  The only zoom bag I see CG aviators wear are the green Nomex.

However, I did think of getting one off Evilbay to use in the utility jumpsuit role for CAP, except that I was told the shade of blue was too light.

Auxiliary Chef (AUXCHEF) Uniform - Obviously a very specialized uniform and you have to earn the right to wear it.

All of the above are descirbed in the AuxMan. There is one last, very specialized, uniform that Auxies may wear. It is described in the CG Uni Regs. The uniform may only be worn by members (Auxies, Coasties etc) who are members of an authorized USCG Pipe Band. The uniform is the USCG Tartan.

Never saw either one, nor did I know of their existence.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RRLE

QuoteI believe that some Coasties wear the polo/shorts when authorised by their OIC/NCOIC(?).  The only Auxies I ever saw wear it were VE's.

Coasties and Auxies are authorized to the Hot Weather uni.

The Blue Blazer is more commonly found in areas where people still dress up somewhat for work or dinner. The Blue Blazer serves as an handy dress up jacket for those who no longer wear suits. I have owned a blue blazer since I went to work in my early 20s and I'm now approaching my 60s. It is also commonly owned and worn by dual members of the USPS since it is also an authorized uni for them. A few years ago, Nat estimated that 20% of Auxies are also members of the USPS.

QuoteI think that is the only Navy uniform the CG retained.  I never saw it worn by a Coastie or Auxie.

The local station CO, a few COs ago, wore it all the time. He is the only officer I saw wear it on a regular basis. It is extremely rare to see an Auxie wear it. There was an Auxie, now former, who used to post on another Auxie board and the Choker Whites were his favorite uni. He wore it whenever he could.

QuoteNever saw it.

The Hot Weather outfit was the regular uniform worn in my old flotilla for boat crew, year round ,unless the temp got cold. The flotilla is in very south eastern Florida. VEs also wore it on a regular basis. The ODU top was rarely worn with it. Putting a PFD over the ODU top was guaranteed to really warm you up. The preference was the optional Operations polo shirt followed by the Aux t-shirt.

QuoteI've never seen it, except on Evilbay.

Unless you had a real wannabee on your hands, you would not see a flight suit unless you were in the air program. I was an Air Observer and made it to Air Crew. I was given a hand-me-down blue flight suit by another Auxie. I kept it when the Aux starting the switch to Hideous Green. I was put under a lot of pressure to buy a green one. I told them that so long as the blue one was authorized, I wasn't going to waste my money buying a flight suit to fly once or twice a month for the Aux. Eventually I got a free Hideous Green from another Auxie who didn't need or want it anymore.

The USCG would host fly-in training sessions for the Aux. If you flew in you were expected to be in a flight suit. But, if you drove in you were not supposed to be in a flight suit since it is restricted for flight ops. The wannabees drive-ins wore it anyway.

Hardshell Clam

Every thing I did not know about USCGAUX Uniforms and was afraid to ask...   :clap:

RRLE

Another cultural difference between the Aux and CAP is in the election/selection of unit leaders and staff officers. You know the CAP system. In the Aux, the system is by election but has a quirk in it that gives a lot of influence to the GOBs (Good Ole Boys).

The sitting Nat officers (about 6), the District Commodores and 2 others vote first and elect the next set of National officers. Except for the those elected to higher office, the District Commodores and non-elected National officers are termed out after the entire election cycle is over. The newly elected National Commodore gets to appoint all the National staff officers.

Next the sitting District officers (usually about 6), the sitting Nat Commodore (or his rep), the sitting Division Commanders and the district Director of Auxilailiry (USCG officer) vote for the new District officers. Depending on election cycle some of the sitting District officers will be term limited after the entire election cycle is over. The Division Commanders can serve up to 2 terms so some may be term limited when the election cycle is over. The newly elected District Commodore gets to appoint all the District staff officers.

Next,, the sitting Division officers (3), the sitting Flotilla Commanders and the District Commodore or his rep elect the new Division officers. The newly elected Division Commodore gets to appoint all the Diviison staff officers.

Then the flotilla members get to elect or re-elect (up to 2 one year terms) the Flotila Commander and Vice. The FC gets to appoint all the flotilla staff officers. No higher level officer is involved in the flotiall election or the selection of staff officers.

In theory, the Aux could have a revolution from within by the election of new FCs. However, since the incumbents at the higher level vote first, any revolution will be delayed as it takes a while for the revolutionaries to get elected to higher office. And very often they get coopted as they move up.

I have no idea which organizational structure is better or if in the grand scheme of things it really matters - other then in the Aux letting the members think they have a say in the selection of their leadership.

RiverAux

What RRLE is talking about is what I mentioned before in that CAP is a much more top-down organization than CG Aux and the officer elections are just one aspect of that. 

He and I have disagreed on the importance of the timing of the election cycles on another board.  He forgot to mention that all elected officer terms start on Jan. 1st and that all the elections take place before that at all levels.  So, even if the flotillas had their elections first it would still be the existing flotilla officers voting for division commander, etc.  The only way it could be run differently is if you start having all sorts of different cycles for the elected officers.

For example, have flotilla elections in Nov or Dec and have FCs start term on January 1st.  Have division elections in Feb. and March and have Division commanders start terms in April.  Have District elections in May or June and terms start in July.  Way to complicated and unnecessary as you would end up with all the elected and appointed officers serving different terms at different times.  And in any case, there isn't really a problem to solve. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RRLE on October 14, 2011, 10:28:44 PM
QuoteI think that is the only Navy uniform the CG retained.  I never saw it worn by a Coastie or Auxie.

The local station CO, a few COs ago, wore it all the time. He is the only officer I saw wear it on a regular basis. It is extremely rare to see an Auxie wear it. There was an Auxie, now former, who used to post on another Auxie board and the Choker Whites were his favorite uni. He wore it whenever he could.

That one is kind of a "universal" Naval uniform, though...it isn't just our Navy and CG who wear it.

RNZN

RAN (Do women in the USN/USCG wear choker whites?)

Of course, the USPHS and NOAA Corps also use it.

But what RiverAux is talking about is very true.  Electing people to run your organisation was quite a shock to someone coming out of CAP.  I don't know if the NSCC, Young Marines, etc. do that or not.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011