Main Menu

Bike Helmet

Started by xray328, February 12, 2019, 08:24:26 PM

xray328

Off the wall question but here goes...

Is there a color requirement for ADAF regarding bicycle helmets while in uniform?  I can't find anything in the 36-2903 or any of the AF transportation manuals.  They just say you have to wear one on base.  There's guidance to wear bright reflective colors but nothing specific to helmet colors.

My sons on campus and after buying him a rather expensive (but red in color) bike helmet he's being told it has to be black if worn in uniform.

Eclipse

If would appear AFI 91-207 governs the wear of bicycle helmets.

See Page 15-16:
https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_se/publication/afi91-207/afi91-207.pdf

The emphasis is clearly on reflectivity and bright colors, but the installation CC appears to be
the ultimate approval authority on what can be worn.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

And no ear buds/headphones while riding a bike in uniform.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 02:04:14 AM

Or even just walking around.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on February 13, 2019, 03:23:22 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 02:04:14 AM

Or even just walking around.

That's a given. But some people figure "I'm on a bike" or "I'm on my motorcycle."

Walking with earbuds while in uniform is viewed as unprofessional with a lack of situational awareness. Waking with earbuds while on a vehicle is considered unsafe. That's how you get hit by another vehicle, or you hit someone else.

Some units even prohibit wearing earbuds and headphones while walking around in civies on post. It was a no-no at NAVSTA Newport.