Motorola HT-1000 channel capacity

Started by cap235629, April 08, 2009, 04:02:33 AM

cap235629

Forgive me in advance but I did attempt to search the forums for this answer but got cross eyed in the process.  :'(

On the Motorola HT-1000's is the a,b,c switch on the top used for switching talkgroups?  If not what is it used for?

I see a tone of these radio's on the used market but want more than 16 channels and I think that 48 would more than cover my needs...

Thanks
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

IceNine

should be 2 switches.

one near the base of the 1-16 dial which changes the bank

the other (small silver switch) will switch scan functions and the like.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Slim

The HT-1000 is a 16 channel radio, that's all you get.

The three position toggle switch can do a variety of things like scan on/scan off/scan list program (that's how mine are set up).  There are several different options which can be selected in the programming software.  Same goes for the three side buttons and the orange emergency button on top.

It's bigger brother, the MT-2000 has more channels available; either 48 or 160, depending on the version you have.  If you're lucky enough to find an MTS-2000 with the proper flashcode, you can get up 255 channels.  In that case, there is a menu option using the keypad to change zones.

Batwing Lab is THE source for all things Motorola.

Slim

CAP.is.1337

The HT1000 is a great radio, but the 16-channel limit can be annoying at times. Nowadays, 48-channel MT2000's can be had for just a hair more than most HT1000s. If you're patient, you can also pick up a 160ch, full-keypad MT2000 on the cheap too.

Quote from: IceNine on April 08, 2009, 04:15:55 AM
should be 2 switches.

Thats for the MT2000/MTS2000. Though the zone function can be switched to whatever switch you want. I have it in my menu, with scan control on the ABC switch and TX Inhibit on the O/Ø.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Slim

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on April 25, 2009, 04:05:20 PM
The HT1000 is a great radio, but the 16-channel limit can be annoying at times. Nowadays, 48-channel MT2000's can be had for just a hair more than most HT1000s. If you're patient, you can also pick up a 160ch, full-keypad MT2000 on the cheap too.

Quote from: IceNine on April 08, 2009, 04:15:55 AM
should be 2 switches.

Thats for the MT2000/MTS2000. Though the zone function can be switched to whatever switch you want. I have it in my menu, with scan control on the ABC switch and TX Inhibit on the O/Ø.

Don't know that I recall that option available for the concentric switch under the mode selector knob.  Remember that the A-7, 160 channel version is 10 zones.  The only way to program zone selection is through the display menu and the arrow keys.  BTW, I have a 160 mode A-7 version with full keypad.  The MTS2K with limited keypad has the same ability.

On the 48 channel MT2k, the ABC rocker switch is the only way to change zones (3 zones/16 channels per zone), as it has a 6 or 8 character alphanumeric display on top and no keypad.

I've had my MT for about 14 years now, bought it when they first introduced the Jedi series, and I love it.  I also own 4 HT-1000s, one VHF that I use for CAP also, and 3 UHF models that I use for work and other applications.  Great radios, and virtually indestructable.  These things were the HT-220s of the 1990s (and I have several of those that still work too).  The limited channel capacity is an issue with them, but they are great radios otherwise.

Slim

RADIOMAN015

Be very careful if you buy a HT1000.  Per out technical experts it has to have DN at the end of the serial number & also some with CN at end (mfg in Ft Lauderdale FL) may also work in order for it to be compliant for the new "narrow band" programming frequencies.  (Don't think the CAP NTC site has this noted).

16 Channels on a portable are more than adequate for CAP's new national channel plan -- talk to your appropriate level comm officer for more information.   
RN

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 26, 2009, 05:34:26 PM
Be very careful if you buy a HT1000.  Per out technical experts it has to have DN at the end of the serial number & also some with CN at end (mfg in Ft Lauderdale FL) may also work in order for it to be compliant for the new "narrow band" programming frequencies.  (Don't think the CAP NTC site has this noted).

16 Channels on a portable are more than adequate for CAP's new national channel plan -- talk to your appropriate level comm officer for more information.   
RN

It looks like nearly all HT1000's can do 12.5kHz narrowband spacing. However, only the DN models can work with the splinter channels. I don'k know if our new freqs are on splinter channels or not. I've talked with my DC and he said they should work, but I'll only know when I see the new channel plan.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi

maverik

Wait I'm not seeing how to change zones on the HT1000.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: SARADDICT on April 27, 2009, 06:17:31 PM
Wait I'm not seeing how to change zones on the HT1000.

There are no zones on HT1000's. Its a 16-ch only radio. A4 MT2000's use the ABC switch to change zones, IIRC.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi

maverik

oh okay so the ht 1000 doesn't have zones and the mts-2000 has only 3?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: SARADDICT on April 27, 2009, 06:31:49 PM
oh okay so the ht 1000 doesn't have zones and the mts-2000 has only 3?

The top LCD model MT/MTS2k's are 48ch. The front models are either 10 or 16-zone, depending on the flash.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi

SABRE17

i asked this in another string to no avail...

what is the model number requirement for the mt-2000's, i know the ht-1000's require a DN at the end.

shorning

Quote from: SABRE17 on May 15, 2010, 12:17:12 PM
i asked this in another string to no avail...

While I don't have an aswer to your question, I'd like to point out that you posted this here only six minutes after posing the question in the other thread.  It can't be that pressing of an issue.  I think a little patience are in order, my friend.  Not to mention it's early Saturday morning...there generally aren't too many visitors this time of day.