Joint Operational Graphics

Started by Duke Dillio, December 08, 2008, 04:28:33 PM

Duke Dillio

Since I live in Northern California, I decided that I wanted to get a map that was big enough to cover the north side of the state but that also had enough detail to where we could use it for ground and air ops.  I already had a sectional but just didn't get the warm and fuzzy for it.  Anyway, I went onto the FAA website and found that you could order these JOG's (Joint Operational Graphics.)  I had to buy 6 of them to cover the area I wanted (It was like $65 with S&H.)  I pieced them together when they arrived and they looked really nice.  They are like topo maps with the airports and stuff on top.  I loved the detail on them.  There was only one problem with them...

Most of them haven't been updated since the 1970's...

I had the same problem with quadrangles of the area.  Anyone know if they will ever be updated or what a better option might be?  Most of the ground teams use Delorme's and sectionals but they are kind of bulky to be carrying around out in the field.  I know some people have talked about bringing mapping software with them in their vehicle and printing maps when they get there.  Just looking for different thoughts.

desertengineer1

They are still good.  Many JOG and TPC products have never been updated since the 1970's.

But to legally use them for flying, you must update them according to DoD Chart Update Manual (CHUM) and DAFIF update procedures.

I use Falconview here, which these are done electronically.

Magnetic Variation should still be within reason, so they should still be good for Ground activities.

Duke Dillio

Well, my primary concern is stuff that doesn't exist any more.  For example, Hamilton Field (I guess it used to be Hamilton AFB) is abandoned.  The Commanche Reservoir is no longer filled with water as the chart depicts.  I just wish I knew where to get the latest and greatest reproductions.  I thought that since I ordered it from the FAA they would have a more updated version.  Thirty years is a long time to go without updating.

desertengineer1

We have the same problem here.  I didn't know my neighborhood used to be an airfield until I saw it on the JOG (and not in the CHUM).  It was removed by DAFIF a while ago.

Here's what I have for your JOG's (Should be the latest):

Chart 1:
Series: JOG
Designation: NJ1005
Edition: 1
Date: 27 Apr 1977
Source Horizontal Datum: NAS

Chart 2:
Series: JOG
Designation: NJ1008
Edition: 2
Date: 05 Jan 1983
Source Horizontal Datum: NAS

desertengineer1

Duke Dillio

Those are two of the ones I have.  I have basically everything from about San Jose to Sacramento hanging on the wall right now.  As soon as I can come up with $100 free bucks, I'll get it laminated...

sardak

QuoteI thought that since I ordered it from the FAA they would have a more updated version.
The FAA doesn't produce the JOGs, they just sell what the NGA (National Geo-Spatial Intelligence Agency) gives them. The FAA worries about keeping other charts current. The JOGs can be convenient, but their age diminishes their usefulness. At one time CAP LOs could get JOGs to distribute to CAP. Be aware that there are ground versions (metric) and air versions (in feet, which the FAA sells). The JOG page at NGA.

The FAA publishes a "Date of Latest Edition" (DOLE) for the charts it sells:
http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/doles
A quick glance shows that you don't live in the right area :), there are some JOGs with 2007 revision dates.

As for other maps, the average age of a USGS 7.5 minute topo is about 25 years.  USGS is slowly updating them and to help speed up the process, the US Forest Service is responsible for updating the quads that cover National Forests.  In much of the West, the Forest Service updates are less than half the age of the original USGS versions.

Mike