Main Menu

You need a headlamp!!!

Started by Stonewall, November 22, 2011, 03:06:41 PM

Stonewall

I did a search and found the word "headlamp" several times, but most of the threads were more than a year old, so I thought I'd generate a new thread since we're approaching Christmas and those lists for the good boys and girls are being written and sent to Santa at the North Pole.

This past weekend I went on a family/group camping trip with 22 people (11 adults, 11 kids ages 2 to 14).  We arrived later in the evening when the sun started to go down so we had lots to do with limited visibility.  It was second nature for me to pull out my headlamp, strap it on and go to work.  Likewise, my wife (also in the military par-time) did the same thing.  All the others thought we were goofy until they spent 2 hours putting their tent up in the dark.  Granted, it was the first time they had used this particular 8-man tent.  But the other chores, like setting up bedding and organizing their camp gear, was equally challenging while attempting to hold a flashlight in one hand or using minimal light from a lantern which casts shadows.

I have personally owned an LED Petzl headlamp since I deployed to Bosnia in 1997.  Back then they didn't have headlamps in tacti-cool colors so I sported a simple headlamp with a single setting and a red lens wasn't an option.

These days, you won't find a soldier without one.  I can attest to this because I spent half of 2011 in Afghanistan and I was issued the Petzl Tactikka Plus. But they run about $40. 

That said, you don't have to spend that kind of cash on a headlamp.  At my house, as part of our hurricane preparation kit, I have three of the Energizer 6 LED Headlights I just found it at Target for $15.  The light tilts and has multiple brightness levels to include red.

Why have a headlamp?

1. Hands free use (think setting up a tent, medical emergency, reading a map).
2. Everywhere you look, there's light.
3. They are LED and last a long time.
4. They're small and lightweight.
5. Relatively inexpensive (depending on which one you buy).

I do suggest that you don't use these as a "search light" because they don't generate enough light to shine more than a few feet.  Also, be mindful of your fellow ground team members and tilt the light downward so you don't blind them.
Serving since 1987.

Woodsy

I have that energizer headlamp and love it.  I use it for everything from hunting, fishing, camping, and a "collision avoidance" system when I put my kayak in the water before sunrise.  It's sturdy, high quality, and bright.  I've used mine hard for about 3 years and it's still good as the day i bought it.  I highly recommend it.  It's an awesome light, and the price is unbelievable. 

RRLE

If you already have a Mini-mag Lite or equivalent you can save a lot of money and get dual use by purchasing the Night Ize headband for about $6.

SarDragon

That looks like it won't work as well as the ones Kirt is pitching. It's off center, and its mass has a greater moment that will make it less stable. Too many moving parts.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Quote from: RRLE on November 22, 2011, 05:40:08 PM
If you already have a Mini-mag Lite or equivalent you can save a lot of money and get dual use by purchasing the Night Ize headband for about $6.

A substitue, yes.  But only if you're absolutely going for cost savings...

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

This time of year you can get serviceable headlamps for under $10 on all the gift stands. 

Should be at least one in every tool box.

I have one of these, too:

The biggest issue I have is I can never find it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

I can say as the result of two patients with oral/dental trauma, that the headlight beats the heck out of carrying a min-mag or similar light in your mouth! I heard of a case of someone actually (accidentally) swallowing a small Streamlight, but it could be an urban myth. I am still waiting for the contact lens night vision device those movies promised us in the 70's and 80's!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

titanII

+1,000,000 to this thread.
Headlights are the best thing in the world of illumination since the light bulb!

edited for grammar
No longer active on CAP talk

starshippe

u will only have to use them one time to be convinced that they are most worthwhile when doing a preflight at night.

bill

Turbine 33

I have been using headlamps since the early 90's and as some of you have already said they are worth their weight in gold. I have always been a huge fan and promoter of Petzl brand headlamps. Recently however I have found that Princeton Tec lights are excelnt and I now own 3.

However I strongly recommend staying away from low cost/quality and the clip on the hat brim models. There are a few reasons for this. I used to work in camping retail and had several high and low end headlamps in the inventory. Let me explain.

1. They are almost always of poor quality and there for do not typically hold up to abuse.
2. hat clip on models often are intended for one maybe two hunting/fishing seasons. Additionally the clips for securing the light are    usually poorly designed and made of low strength plastic.
3. The moment of the light so far out on the hat brim  upsets the balance of an otherwise immobile piece of headgear. In my experience this causes the hat to move around and reduces vision.

Almost every hunter that bought one of these types of lights said he had to buy a new one every season. So why buy over and over again? I have been running the same Petzl for over 10 years and it's still running strong! I am a buy once cry once kind of guy. The last place we want our gear to fail is in the field.

Currently my favorite headlamp is this, http://princetontec.com/?q=fuel. The unit  runs off of 3 AAA batteries which are light weight and compact as well as easily attainable. Also the lamp is removable from the strap and can be affixed to MOLLE or other straps such as backpack shoulder straps for hands free and head free night time navigation.

Get your self a good quality headlamp. LED is the new and only way to go. Very bright, low power draw means longer run times, they are nearly shock proof and they simply don't burn out. 

There's my $0.02
1st Lieutenant
Group 1 ES Ofifcer
Communications Officer
Jefferson 55

Jefferson 133

Brad

I carry this:

http://tinyurl.com/89xwm6b

Keeps my Surefire on my helmet. Was a major pain to get the strap to stretch tight, but it's set now and holds excellent. The flashlight takes some work to replace if I have to remove it from the strap but still, amazing and CHEAP!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

UpstateSAR

Quote from: Turbine 33 on January 02, 2012, 07:36:06 PM
Recently however I have found that Princeton Tec lights are excelnt and I now own 3.
+1

I also have two Princeton Tec headlamps and they are amazing this is mine:http://princetontec.com/?q=quad-tactical-mpls minus the helmet attachment and in OD works great on my MOLLE backpack so you can use it hands free.

Eclipse

I asked to have this unlocked as it was one of the more recent ones dedicated just to headlamps.

Coast stands by their products.

My well-used and loved Coast HL-7's hinge broke in the Fall and I've been
limping it around for a couple months with velcro.  You don't realize how much you depend on something like
this until it's not available.

http://www.amazon.com/Coast-HL7-Focusing-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B005NXPW5W

Anyway, Santa brought me a replacement and when I was going through the packing, I noticed the
lifetime warranty - $5 and a slow-boat brought me what appears to be a brand new replacement
a couple weeks later.  Next time I'll check the warranty before waiting so long, but regards,
a second unit isn't going to go to waste!

This isn't the most expensive one on the block, but they aren't cheap, either, and it's nice to
see a company stand by its products.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Do you know if these come with white and red lights? It seems that this is white only.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 12, 2015, 02:16:55 AM
Do you know if these come with white and red lights? It seems that this is white only.

The HL7 is white-only, but they have other models with red/white option.
http://www.coastportland.com/led-headlamps/

If I was in the market, I'd probably go with the HL44, which is about 10% brighter then the
HL7 and has the red option (though I don't like the over the top headband).

http://www.coastportland.com/hl44-led-headlamp.htm

I also prefer the twist-focus beam vs. the multi-element.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser