Military Modular Sleep System

Started by CAP4117, October 14, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

CAP4117

Has anyone used it? It seems like a good sleeping bag because it can be used in almost any climate (I live in Illinois so I like the prospect of being able to use it in subzero weather), but I am extremely new to the world of ES gear - does anyone have any pros/cons for it or suggestions for something better (or more cost-effective)? They run kind of expensive, but no more so than other really cold weather sleeping bags I have seen. Thanks!

Stonewall

I have used one for years, all 3 levels, and I do consider to be a phenomenal sleeping bag(s).  I was issued one in the Army a few years back and when I got out they didn't ask for it back because they replaced them with newer ones.  I have since been issued 2 more, complete, in the bag since last year.  I don't know what the deal is but I only need one so my son is using it for camping.  If they want it back, they can have the old one it back.  But generally things like this are not returned/accepted because of the one-on-one touch to the skin.  Like underwear, they issue it but never want it back.

I don't know how much they cost, but if you consider it to be reasonable, then go for it,  It will last you forever, is durable, versatile and will keep you warm.

I give it
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

+1

In the high summer I use just the gortex cover an ponchliner....in mid winter use the green bag with liner.

Love it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RC007

Victor on survivalist forum has them for $125. He's an excellent dealer with tons of gear and great feedback.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=194965&highlight=modular+sleep+system

Noble Six

where ounces equal pounds snugpak's are amazing the MSS are great but take up too much room snugpack's take up about as much room as a nalgene bottle.  But of course they are pricey.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

CAP4117

RogueLeader

Mine, WIWAD, was awesome.  Course Ft. Bragg wanted mine back >:( >:(
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

gunguy

I've got the tall sized Patrol bag.  Excellent in 40+...

Been hunting for a tall size intermediate bag.