chickenjoe

Hello I was wondering what kind of climbing gear yall carry with you webbing
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

cap235629

Quote from: chickenjoe on March 06, 2011, 12:07:14 AM
Hello I was wondering what kind of climbing gear yall carry with you webbing

????????

CAP doesn't climb as a general rule......

And as of now ALL such activity is on hold until April 1st
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

PA Guy

♠SARKID♠

None, and if you had anywhere near the necessary knowledge, training, or skill sets to use it you wouldn't be asking. 

LTC Don

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 06, 2011, 12:38:09 AM
None, and if you had anywhere near the necessary knowledge, training, or skill sets to use it you wouldn't be asking.

Wow.  What a snarky comment.  Are things that bad in Wisconsin?  >:D

From the GT Task Guides:

c. Optional Items
(1) Rainwear, durable
(2) Webbing, nylon, 1" wide, 20' long.
(3) Handheld FM Transceiver (highly recommended for Ground Team Leaders)
(4) Water Purification Tablets
(5) Eye Protection (highly recommended)
(6) Entrenching Tool (highly recommended for base gear)

The tubular 1" webbing is probably the closest thing CAP optionally lists as 'climbing gear', as the webbing can be used to fashion an improvised "Swiss Seat" rapelling harness.  Members are not required to have this item, but if you decide to obtain it, make sure it is actually tubular webbing. Great Outdoor Provision Co., and REI are good sources for this and it isn't that expensive.

Beyond that, you don't need anything else unless you move on to the NASAR SARTECH II certification (I highly recommend this) which also requires a prussik cord and locking carabiners in addition to the tubular webbing.  An actual rapelling seat is optional for general missing person SAR.

Here is the current NASAR SARTECH II personal equipment list:
http://www.nasar.org/nasar/downloads/NASAR_SARTECHTM_II_MINIMUM_PERSONAL_EQUIPMENT_LIST_11_2004.pdf

For the purpose of obtaining your initial GTM3 qualification, the items called for on the CAP list is all you need to get started.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Major Lord

I would not carry the climbing gear on my person if I could avoid it, but ( when I was active on Ground SAR) I would wear a riggers belt in place of my normal BDU belt ( it might be helpful in recovering my body......) and in the car, I would have my basic outdoor kit: 100 feet Static rescue line, a harness and helmet, steel carabiners, a figure 8, a 1.5 Meter web loop, and a few prussiks. ( My Jumars went to Davie Jones Locker) This gear is handy for a lot of things, like hanging your food out of reach of bears, stringing an antenna line, etc. A ground team actually attempting a solo high angle rescue is just so fraught with danger, that I would try and put the idea out of your mind unless you join a NASAR team and train for it in earnest; Something that CAP is not going to do. For Cadets, don't even think about it! CAP is not in that business.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

chickenjoe

Thanks LTC Don for the info.All I really wanted to know is if I needed to carry any carabiners or anything else with the tubular webbing
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

EMT-83

Quote from: LTC Don on March 06, 2011, 05:09:53 PM

As harsh as it sounds, it's exactly the right answer. Without proper instruction on what gear to obtain and how to use it, the OP has no business carrying climbing gear.

I've had to rescue too many people, with serious injuries suffered, because they had improper equipment or didn't know how to use it.

As to the OP asking about what to buy and where to buy it, your chain of command is a far better resource than an Internet forum.

Major Lord

The originator of the thread just asked what other people were doing, not what he should be doing, or what we think he ought to be doing based on his being a cadet. Can't we give him the courtesy of assuming he is asking a question in good faith? For all we know, he may be the worlds' speed climbing champion. To use a climbing term, consider giving him a little slack....No wonder so many of our cadets are liked whipped puppies.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

EMT-83

... or you could read his other posts.

Sometimes the Internet is a good source of information, but a new cadet is probably better off asking his chain of command.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: LTC Don on March 06, 2011, 05:09:53 PM

As I understand it, the reason CAP mostly nixed cadets doing rappelling work because a cadet tried to use the "training" he received in CAP to abseil an overpass and got killed; lawsuit ensued.  I'm not against sounding like a jerk when it comes to life threatening bad ideas sir.