Compass and Pouch Help/Sugestions

Started by chickenjoe, February 28, 2011, 08:43:29 PM

chickenjoe

Hello I was wondering what you guys used for you compass and pouch in your 24 hour pack? I am thinking about using a bandage pouch from a military surplus store,but will this pass at ground teams school?
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

MIKE

I suppose there is a newer MOLLE version of this ALICE classic somewhere.
Mike Johnston

cap235629

Quote from: chickenjoe on February 28, 2011, 08:43:29 PM
Hello I was wondering what you guys used for you compass and pouch in your 24 hour pack? I am thinking about using a bandage pouch from a military surplus store,but will this pass at ground teams school?

When I was in the Army we were issued the pouch shown above for field dressings, compass pouches and even as a handcuff pouch.  I think you will be fine.

Also, you keep mentioning "ground team school". This seems to many to be a squadron or wing activity.  You might want to send these questions up the chain of command.

I will offer a bit of advice, the same thing I tell cadets in my squadron.  Everything you need that is listed in the task guide can be purchased at Wal-Mart for under $50.00 and carried in a book bag.  This may not be "kewl" but it will get you through your training.  If you spend a ton of time on actual missions, upgrade as you go.  Your parents will appreciate you not coming home from a new activity like CAP and dropping a bomb on them telling them you "have" to purchase $300 or more in "tactikewl" gear.

Good luck with your training!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ol'fido

Buy some field dressings, space blankets, emergency ponchos or something else to fill out the extra room in the pouch if you carry a compass there. It keeps the pouch from sagging down and maybe having your compass slip out if you haven't dummy corded it.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

wacapgh

If you are not required to have a compass to attend this activity, I recommend holding off purchasing one until you have tried the different types commonly used.

Some people prefer the "Silva" orienteering style compasses, while others prefer/are used to the military lensatic types.

"Try it before you buy it" whenever possible.

chickenjoe

Thanks for the advice I alredy have the pouch and I was just wondering if it would pass. Im just trying to penny pinch cause Im buying all my gear by myself
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

cap235629

Quote from: chickenjoe on March 01, 2011, 01:20:48 AM
Thanks for the advice I alredy have the pouch and I was just wondering if it would pass. Im just trying to penny pinch cause Im buying all my gear by myself

All the more reason to heed my advice..
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

commando1

Helpful tip on a compass, Wal-Mart sporting good stores often have compass' of both orienteering and lensatic types for less than 5 dollars. A friend of mine spent $70 on a G.I compass because he thought that is all that was out there. Take it for what it is worth.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

chickenjoe

Thanks Commando1, yeah I already have a compass :)
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

Spaceman3750

Quote from: commando1 on March 02, 2011, 04:52:12 AM
Helpful tip on a compass, Wal-Mart sporting good stores often have compass' of both orienteering and lensatic types for less than 5 dollars. A friend of mine spent $70 on a G.I compass because he thought that is all that was out there. Take it for what it is worth.  8)

Or you could spend $15 and get a Silva that's actually reliable. I was in the Wal-Mart compass camp for awhile but I had a bad experience with one suddenly pointing 180deg in the opposite direction; after that I was done.

Sapper168

Mostly with compasses you get what you pay for.  A compass is not something that you want crapping out on you when you need it.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

niferous

I have a GI lensatic compass somewhere that I need to start using. It had a bubble though and I'm not sure it's accurate anymore. I wonder if it has a warranty.

Anyhow I am against the cheap $2 compasses that you get at Walmart and Academy. I was on an FTX just this last weekend and had some folks with those taking the land nav course with me. A lot of them were off by a good bit on the 200 yard plus distances. I had a $10 map compass I bought at Academy and it worked well. I was actually the only person to get to the exact spot the first time out of everyone taking it. They aren't great for super long distances but for anything under 350 yards you will be just fine.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

chickenjoe

Also can I replace the two canteens for a hydration bladder?
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

Spaceman3750

Quote from: chickenjoe on March 02, 2011, 08:58:34 PM
Also can I replace the two canteens for a hydration bladder?

Generally, yes, but check with your chain of command. Local policies vary.

chickenjoe

OK I will thanks,....... I am in the NC wing if that makes any differences?!
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

commando1

Quote from: chickenjoe on March 02, 2011, 09:21:59 PM
OK I will thanks,....... I am in the NC wing if that makes any differences?!
It sometimes is a wing mandate, othertimes it is on a squadron by squadron basis. Personally I carry a bladder and a quart sized canteen. It works for me. I have been in too many situations where I ran out of water cause 1 liters just wasn't enough. My 2 cents anyway.
Non Timebo Mala