EF Johnson Charger Question

Started by DKruse, February 04, 2011, 08:44:28 PM

DKruse

Does anyone know if the battery charger for the EF Johnson handheld radios can do battery conditioning?  If so, how do you trigger that?
Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

argentip

I believe they do some sort of conditioning and that its an automatic process if it senses it needs to be donw.

I could be wrong, though.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

SarDragon

Mostly, conditioning is only needed for Ni-Cd batteries. The only batteries I've seen in out EFJs are Li-ion batteries, which do not have the memory problem.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

I don't want to steer this too off-topic, but is memory an issue with NiMH batteries like with NiCD?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

But according to experience, yes. :) Just not as pronounced as Ni-Cd.

SARDOC

Does anybody have a link to the actual EF Johnson manufacturers maintenance books for the handheld portable radios currently being issued through CAP?

arajca

Why? Members are NOT authorized to make repairs to these radios. They need to be sent to the NTC for repair, which is done for the cost of shipping it out there. If a radio cannot be repaired or the cost of repairing it is deemed uneconomical, a replacement is sent out.

A qualified repair shop should already have these manuals.

Eclipse

^+1 Members should not be trying to repair corporate equipment (with a very pre-authorized exceptions).

As to the original question, my experience has been that the OEM desktop chargers do some sort of check on the battery before charging and while they
are left in the device.  I have had more than one be "rejected" by the charger, never to work again, after being dropped.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Thanks Guys.  No I'm not trying to do maintenance on them.  I'm looking for more of a User Guide.  I have questions about the tolerances of the radio itself for storage and use purposes.  Also about the conditions under which the battery should be stored to ensure as long a shelf life as possible.  My unit is currently storing these radios in a box in the back of the van, ready to be mission ready.  However, there is no process to ensure that these radios are charged so frequently when you go to use them they might as well be bricks.  The facility where we meet has limited access to us outside of meeting times with very limited storage.  The Storage room is small and it was thought that we could put the chargers in there leaving the batteries on the charger...which I'm not sure is safe long term or even good for the battery.  So ultimately trying to find out what the manufacturers recommend to ensure a safe environment while making sure the radios are mission capable for as long as possible. 

Eclipse

I charge mine and then put them in my go containers.  Other times when I forget they sit on the workbench for weeks / months.  I'm sure there's an optimum, but this "abuse" hasn't seemed to make much difference in overall useful life.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2011, 04:47:30 PM
I charge mine and then put them in my go containers.  Other times when I forget they sit on the workbench for weeks / months.  I'm sure there's an optimum, but this "abuse" hasn't seemed to make much difference in overall useful life.

Thanks for the tip.  What about the radios themselves?  Is it okay to store them in someplace with freezing temperatures( ie. Back of the van)?

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on October 10, 2011, 07:26:16 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2011, 04:47:30 PM

Thanks for the tip.  What about the radios themselves?  Is it okay to store them in someplace with freezing temperatures( ie. Back of the van)?

Mine are never temp-controlled on purpose - the go containers are in the back of the truck, getting the full blast of the sun and winter's wrath, and the garage isn't heated so it's gets plenty cold even when they are on the charger.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I don't know about the EFJ batteries, but on one of my similar Motorola batteries it went from full charge to almost nothing after 2 cold nights in the trunk of my car...