Main Menu

Doolie Parents

Started by SSgt Rudin, May 23, 2008, 09:02:08 PM

SSgt Rudin

I have a meeting with all the parents of the cadets from my squadron who are attending their first encampment this summer. I am putting together a booklet of information for them and wanted to see if any one had any good ideas of other things I should add.

So far I have:

Operations Order
Packing List
Letter from the Enc CC to parents
Letter from the Enc CC to basic cadets
Staff List
Information on the location including map and driving directions

SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

DC

An encampment FAQ might be a good idea, maybe a seperate one for parents and the cadet.

Duke Dillio

Maybe something obvious but is there a "prohibited items" list in any of those documents.  You might just suppliment it on a different sheet just to ensure that they get the idea that it's not ok to bring fireworks, ammunition, guns, illegal drugs, alcohol, etc. to the encampment.  Might also check the list and see if they forgot anything like paintball guns, silly string, or anything else like that.

IceNine

If the encampment has a website

Beat into their heads to CHECK THE WEBSITE!!!

Eclipse can tell you tales of the amazingly obvious questions that are clearly answered on the website, yet we receive droves of questions like "what will my child be doing"  or even worse..

"when is this activity?"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Sqn72DO on May 24, 2008, 06:30:50 PM
Maybe something obvious but is there a "prohibited items" list in any of those documents.  You might just suppliment it on a different sheet just to ensure that they get the idea that it's not ok to bring fireworks, ammunition, guns, illegal drugs, alcohol, etc. to the encampment.  Might also check the list and see if they forgot anything like paintball guns, silly string, or anything else like that.

It does have a list of some examples at the end of the packing list, but I think supplementing it sounds like a good idea, considering all of the interesting things I have seen taken at contraband check.

Quote from: IceNine on May 24, 2008, 07:07:20 PM

Eclipse can tell you tales of the amazingly obvious questions that are clearly answered on the website, yet we receive droves of questions like "what will my child be doing"  or even worse..

"when is this activity?"

They do, and I have put it on the footer of every page.  :)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

JayT

I take it doolie is one of those terms that like, a thousand people use in CAP and no one else has ever heard it?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

IceNine

I believe it refers to repeat offenders attendee's of encampment

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Gunner C

Quote from: JThemann on May 24, 2008, 07:56:31 PM
I take it doolie is one of those terms that like, a thousand people use in CAP and no one else has ever heard it?

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard it used in CAP.

Maj Ballard

A "doolie" is a first time encampment attendee... A "basic," if you will. I've certainly heard this in use in Florida... not sure where else.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

BillB

The term Doolie has been around CAP since the early 1950's. At my 1st encampment the term wasn't heard, and that was 1946. but at encampments in the 50's I attended as staff the term was in use. And I've heard it used at encampments at Tennessee, georgia, Alabama and Texas.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

"when is this activity?"

Simply amazing - parents, units CC's, and others involved who have no idea where, when, or why their cadets are going to do something...

And then people wonder why we have challenges with our young people these days. Lack of parental involvement?

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2008, 01:44:44 AM

"when is this activity?"

Simply amazing - parents, units CC's, and others involved who have no idea where, when, or why their cadets are going to do something...

And then people wonder why we have challenges with our young people these days. Lack of parental involvement?

I'd say it's 70% lack of parental involvement and 30% the kids don't give their parents the things I give them to bring home to their parents so their parents know what is going on.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Eclipse

^^That's another big problem, but what I'm referring to is parents who have signed the form, sent the check, confirmed attendance and then call up the week before and ask "what are they doing again" or "when is this?".

"That Others May Zoom"

Sleepwalker

2nd LT:  I would highly advise (read: advise, IMHO) against giving parents any information beyond a  basic description of Encampment and the website.  I have been a Squad Com  covering many Encampments (Region and Wing) over many years, and had to learn my lesson the hard way the first time.  I had eleven Cadets attending, and gave parents all the information you described with the idea of being helpful.  They quickly began to rely on me rather than checking information on their own, and calling night and day asking me all sorts of questions that I did not have answers for because I was not part of the Encampment staff.  Most of their questions could have been answered simply by checking the  Encampment website.  What was worse, when they were done with Encampment I had parents of several Cadets complain to me about things such as: "You didn't tell us they couldn't call home" "You didn't tell us we could only enter the Base through the East Gate" " You didn't tell us that he had to have his alergy medecine in its original container with the prescription written on the side" and others which I now forget.  You are setting yourself up for all the responsibility by getting too involved.  Direct them to the website - be firm that Encampment is not a Squadron function.  The parents and Cadets need to take responsibility of themselves when it comes to Encampment. 
If a parent asks me general questions, I answer them as best I can but only in general terms and I always tell them not to take my word for it, but check the website or email the Encampment contact with their questions.   

I wish it were different, but unfortunately most parents want us to do all the work for them.

P.S.>This is my humble opinion, which anyone is free to dissagree with - but please no one start PM-ing me telling me I'm wrong because you won't convince me I am.                       
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

IceNine

You have hit the nail on the head with the parents taking charge, and this problem is specific to organizations like this.

When parents send their kids off to church camp, or sailing camp, or whatever they are forced to own a piece of this endeavor.  However in organizations like this and boy scouts etc the parents are in so much of a groove that the commander will give them what they need it takes all of the perceived responsibility away from the parents.

That is the nature of the beast I suppose.  I mean if one of our cadets leaves encampment you better believe the unit commander is going to hear about it before it happens, and in a lot of cases before the parents know

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Turk

Quote from: BillB on May 24, 2008, 11:29:27 PM
The term Doolie has been around CAP since the early 1950's. At my 1st encampment the term wasn't heard, and that was 1946. but at encampments in the 50's I attended as staff the term was in use. And I've heard it used at encampments at Tennessee, georgia, Alabama and Texas.

The term originally (and still) describes a first-year cadet at the Air Force Academy.

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

DC

Quote from: Turk on May 25, 2008, 02:46:28 PM
Quote from: BillB on May 24, 2008, 11:29:27 PM

The term originally (and still) describes a first-year cadet at the Air Force Academy.
See thread - http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5128.0

BillB

Turk, It couldn't be ORIGINALLY used for 1st year cadets at USAFA, since it was in use in CAP BEFORE there was a USAFA.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Hawk200

Quote from: BillB on May 26, 2008, 10:47:08 AM
Turk, It couldn't be ORIGINALLY used for 1st year cadets at USAFA, since it was in use in CAP BEFORE there was a USAFA.

I don't buy that. Too many inconsistancies. It was probably used in the late 50's, after USAFA was founded, but people will swear it was in 1950.

Either way, it doesn't matter. The term is not appropriate to use. The term does not exist in any publication CAP currently has. It is pure and simple wannabeism.

Too many people in CAP have such low esteem about themselves or the organization, and believe that if they use military terminology, it makes them better, or more credible, or more liked. They're fooling themselves and others.

If the terminology is not in any of our pubs, it does not any place being used by CAP.

MIKE

As was pointed out there is another thread for this line of discussion... created by me.  Terminating drift.
Mike Johnston