Main Menu

MS/AL Encampment

Started by stillamarine, December 15, 2007, 09:46:03 PM

stillamarine

About a month ago, while working recruiting at the Blue Angels Air Show in Pensacola FL, I spoke with a couple SMs from a MS Wing squadron. In conversation I explained how hard it was to get our cadets to the FLWG encampments with them always being 6 plus hours away. He stated that this coming year MS and AL Wings were holding a joint encampment in Biloxi or Gulfport which is only about 2 hours away! Unfortunately I goofed and didn't get any contact info for those great guys! If anyone knows anything about that particular encampment or who I can contact in regards to it please let me know!

Thanks

I can be reached at 425PAO@GMAIL.COM
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

BlackKnight

Sorry I can't help with the contact info for the AL/MS encampment, but this brings up an interesting observation.

There are 52 wings and thus theoretically 52 summer encampments.  Many of our cadets find themselves in a situation where either through scheduling or geography it would be more convenient to attend encampment in an adjacent wing.  But information about out-of-wing encampments is devilishy hard to find unless you know someone who knows someone.  And it's nearly impossible if the adjacent wing is in another region. 

Why is that?  It seems like it would be so simple for the encampment schedules and contact info for the encampment director to be listed in the cadet programs section of the national website.  If our goal is to increase retention of our Phase I/II cadets and get more of them to encampment, surely this is a no-brainer.  Per information provided in a recent TLC class, 78% of our cadets never make it to the first milestone, the Wright Brothers award for C/SSGT.

If we can list this basic scheduling info for the Professional Development class schedules (SLS/CLC/UCC/Staff Colleges) why not for the encampments?

[Self-Edit:]  From another related thread it turns out there is a listing on the cap.gov cadet programs page (duh!). But as was pointed out most of the entries aren't current so it's not all that helpful. But at least it gives us a clue as to whom to contact in another wing.

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/cadet_programs/index.cfm?nodeID=6504&audienceID=4
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Al Sayre

Quote from: stillamarine on December 15, 2007, 09:46:03 PM
About a month ago, while working recruiting at the Blue Angels Air Show in Pensacola FL, I spoke with a couple SMs from a MS Wing squadron. In conversation I explained how hard it was to get our cadets to the FLWG encampments with them always being 6 plus hours away. He stated that this coming year MS and AL Wings were holding a joint encampment in Biloxi or Gulfport which is only about 2 hours away! Unfortunately I goofed and didn't get any contact info for those great guys! If anyone knows anything about that particular encampment or who I can contact in regards to it please let me know!

Thanks

I can be reached at 425PAO@GMAIL.COM

Email sent
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Lead1

OK, the 2008 AL/MS Encampment Website is complete. There is still some forthcoming information to post, but it is operational. Cadet Command Staff will be announced very soon. We will begin accepting cadet staff applications soon afterwards. Senior officers may make application at any time.

Website>>  http://almsencampment.com/
SCOTT HOWARD, Capt, CAP
Director, Cadet Programs
Mississippi Wing Civil Air Patrol

The first person you must learn to lead is yourself. – Lt Col Harold G. (Hal) Moore

mynetdude

If the NHQ cadet programs isn't regularly current/up to date about encampments then everybody who is doing encampments or who have encampments may want to consider using the CAP website directory instead as they will probably maintain more current data than NHQ will as far as encampments and squadron websites.

I don't know of the link on top of my head at the moment.

Al Sayre

Hi Scott,

Welcome to CAPtalk...   ;D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Lead1

Hey Al! Good to be here. Looks as if you are a fixture here too!
SCOTT HOWARD, Capt, CAP
Director, Cadet Programs

The first person you must learn to lead is yourself. – Lt Col Harold G. (Hal) Moore

Al Sayre

Fixture, tool, or some other kind of mechanical device, YMMV... :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

smitjud

Basic Application for the AL/MS Encampment are being taken now!  Head to the website referenced above for all the details!

JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Lead1

The website << http://almsencampment.com >> has been updated with new information and instructions. Just go to the "Forum" page, and click "Read this first" for the instructions.
SCOTT HOWARD, Capt, CAP
Director, Cadet Programs