New senior member uniforms

Started by umpirecali, September 04, 2012, 04:19:19 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 15, 2012, 01:39:22 PM
It amazes me how many on here like operating in total anonymity.  That is more typical of the somewhat cowardly behavior that you see on many rant type sites rather than on a site dedicated to an organization such as CAP.

Save it with the "cowardly" nonsense.  If the moderators of this site wanted to, they could make it a requirement for posters to show their first, last, rank and number.

I'm a former IT puke and as many know, identity theft is almost epidemic in this day and age.  "Harvesting," "phishing," etc...there is no such thing as a completely secure website.

I have two firewalls on my computer but I know quite well that is no guarantee.

One thing I used to teach users about was "reducing your cyber footprint."  If, like CT, a site requires me to register with my real name because of their TOS, I do so.  However, again like CT, if a site does not require a real name to be displayed, I do not display mine.

You can call it paranoid if you like, but don't get on a "coward" kick.  I've seen too many people who have had their identities compromised.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RADIOMAN015

Please see remarks in bold/italics:

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 15, 2012, 03:34:52 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 15, 2012, 02:43:53 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on September 14, 2012, 06:43:40 PM
.... Find me an AD military man or woman who doesn't wear all the ribbons and badges they've EARNED and I'll show you someone who doesn't take his or her career seriously. I'd find it hard to believe someone who completed Jump School wouldn't wear their parachutist wings. Or the soldier who completed Ranger school who wouldn't wear their Ranger Tab. Or the combat vet who wouldn't wear their CIB. I highly doubt that any of these badges, ribbons, or medals were forced upon them. And they have all the experience in the world to back up their wearing of them.

Surely your "experience"  for 20 years in Civil Air Patrol gives you every right to be making such broad statements about active duty, former active duty, and or retired military personnel career aspirations being linked to military ribbons wear on their military uniform >:( ???   

RM   

Get off your high horse for one second and see that the things I said were not anywhere near the negativity you made it out to be.
See original post above, seems pretty straight forward to me ::).

I was stating the fact that most people WILL wear the badges and ribbons they've earned over their career as a mark of what they did. I made no mention of where and when they wear them, only that they will. Yes, ribbons are OPTIONAL except on the service dress. I'm making the point that if one has EARNED a badge like the CIB or the Parachutist Badge or whatever that they tend to wear them and not store them in a drawer someplace and just say "yeah, I got one of those someplace" like some in CAP do and expect us to take their word for it, which we don't.

There's no CAP regulation that requires any active, reserve, former, or retired military member to prove to CAP that the military ribbons or badges/ratings that they are wearing on their CAP AF style uniform was actually awarded/earned.  Of course those wearing the B/W's can't wear their military ribbons or badges/ratings anyways due to an AF restriction (but some of the military services do allow the wear of military ribbons etc on "patriotic" type uniforms).    Again are you eluding that active/former/retired members are trying to wear awards/badges/ratings that they are not entitled to on their CAP military style uniforms ???   :-\    Of course if a former/retired military member wants advanced grade in CAP they will have to prove what their grade/rank was in the military as well as provide evidence on Professional Military Education completed

I make no more "broad" generalizations about AD men and women than you do about current CAP members. I have encountered many AD and retired military men and women in my travels and each and every one of them wears just about all the things they are entitled to wear on their uniform, ACU or service dress. Quite a few retired service members and veterans wear a hat with all their miniature decorations and badges on them, or a fatigue jacket with their former units and awards and whatnot. They are proud of what they've done and who they served with and when, as well they should be.

Unless you knew the AD/reserve/former/retired military members personally you would have no idea whether they were wearing everything that they earned (and really most aren't talking to people about what they've earned as far as medals/awards, etc).   Gee I have hard time remember what ribbon is what for myself, and I definitely don't know all the AF awards/ribbons by memory (and am just about clueless on all the CAP awards/ribbons - but IF the powers to be want me to award me something for my volunteer efforts, I will say thank you and accept graciously).   As far as former/retired military members wearing identifiable clothing, I found that it varies quite a bit, the general public can easily ID someone who has a hat/Tshirt that states "Viet Nam Vet",  "AF, Marines, Army, Navy" (active or retired, maybe family member),  and the ones that wear the specific unit they were in, perhaps those from that military service would recognize it, but not the general civilian population.    I primarily wear a few different styles of base ball caps that state "Air Force Retired" and the BX relatively recently got in a variety of "Air Force Retired" Tshirts in that I purchased, because it's a simple way to let EVERYONE know what is my military status.  Here again that is MY choice, and IF a AD/reserve/former/retired military member doesn't want to wear anything to ID them as military that's their personal choice (and I would think in any foreign country (and even a cruise ship) one would be very careful about readily identifying oneself as being associated with the US military).       

My statement about not taking their career seriously probably was a little extreme in the fact that not all of us want or need accolades, but you don't know me or where I've been or what I've seen or what I know.

See your original post above, yea I think it was a bit extreme (and some of us on CAPTALK do get a bit extreme at times  ;) ) I was kind of looking at your ribbon rack posted with your post, BUT was having a hard time since one of the ribbons looked to me like the AF Outstanding Unit Award, but yet there was no National Defense Service Medal  is there a chart on the CAP website of all the CAP ribbons (the Vanguard chart is too small to see) ???

I'm sure you've served Civil Air Patrol with distinction and I salute you for your service :clap:
RM

spacecommand

Ah I was wondering when standard typical ad hominem attacks would begin.