Non-pilot observer training resources

Started by Walkman, October 29, 2012, 02:06:18 PM

Walkman

I did my MO F&Ps a while ago in another wing. A move broke up the training. I'm not a pilot, so much of the schooling on instruments/systems has fallen out of my brain in the ensuing years. I plan on starting MO again from scratch when I can (I'd love to go to NESA when I can get some time off), but I'd like to suppliment that training with something I can do on my own to make sure I've got it really down. My unit doesn't have a plane, so I don't have access to lots of time in the plane keeping myself familiar with stuff.

What are some things I can get my hands on for this? I downloaded a Sporty's Flight Training app for my iPhone, only to find that's there's not a ton of content unless I pony up $249 for the full course. I'm cheap, so free resources, tutorials, videos, etc would be great.

Crosswind

Lt. Rich Denison
Director of Public Affairs - Wyoming Wing

Public Affairs Officer/Asst. Aerospace Education Officer
492nd Emergency Services Composite Squadron
Casper, WY

JeffDG

Walkman

I'll have to check that out. When I first saw the announcement on eServices, I thought it was a different kind of training.

Any others out there?

Walkman

Just checked out the AETC course on eServices. Have to hold an instructor pilot rating to take it.

So then, back to the original question...

Cliff_Chambliss

have you looked at the Mission Aircrew Reference Texts?
Vol I  Mission Scanner
Vol II  Mission Observer & Mission Pilot
Vol III  Airborne Photographer

and then the
Operational Mission Inflight Guide.

All available on E Services.

FWIW:
Copy all to a memory stick, go to Staples, Office Depot, etc.  Have them copy to pre-punched 3 hole paper & get a couple of binders.  Should cost about $15.00.

Lots of good stuff on e services, just poke around, look in dusty corners, under boxes & in dark places.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Walkman

Yup, I've got all those, Cliff. Thanks for the reminder. I guess I'm looking for more that just the textbook approach. Videos, online tutorials, etc.

I can do some Google-Fu, but I thought that the zipper-suited sun god contingent here might know of something off the top of their heads.  ;)

BigShu

If you're looking for free stuff, some King training videos are on you tube. There are a couple of online training courses that have free and pay content. It depends on what you want to brush up on. If you are looking at instrument and systems, pick up a cheap copy of flight simulator. It'll be all you need for familiarization as a non pilot. Lots of outdated pilot training systems can be bought used for a dime on the dollar.
You said you were starting from scratch, right? Then do like any other non pilot observer trainee would do: use the CAP resources, and get in the plane when you can.
I haven't had a yoke in hand in 30 years, but I remember what the instruments are, and what they tell me. G1000 is new to me, CAP radios are new to me. I think you'll remember more than you think, just don't try to shortcut. That's always a bad way to train.
I got the CAP courses on CD on ebay for next to nothing. I just look at it like any other rating, it takes as long as it takes.

Walkman

I'll look up the King videos you mention.

It's really the instruments I want to have stuff on. I didn't think of a sim, I'll check that out as well.

You make a good point every needs to be reminded of about shortcutting. It can be very tempting to pencil whip a task. Without frequent access to a plane to keep myself up on things, I want to build a library of resources to keep looking back to.

SARDOC

Quote from: Walkman on October 30, 2012, 12:23:22 PM

It's really the instruments I want to have stuff on. I didn't think of a sim, I'll check that out as well.

You make a good point every needs to be reminded of about shortcutting. It can be very tempting to pencil whip a task. Without frequent access to a plane to keep myself up on things, I want to build a library of resources to keep looking back to.

I got a good copy of flight simulator X for $20.00.  Supposedly there is some kind of CAP upgrade that includes the G1000 and assists you with SAR patterns.  I've never seen the upgrade or know how to get it. 

Just playing the Flight Simulator has helped me a lot.

vento

Quote from: SARDOC on October 30, 2012, 01:00:33 PM
Quote from: Walkman on October 30, 2012, 12:23:22 PM

I got a good copy of flight simulator X for $20.00.  Supposedly there is some kind of CAP upgrade that includes the G1000 and assists you with SAR patterns.  I've never seen the upgrade or know how to get it. 

Just playing the Flight Simulator has helped me a lot.

I think you are referring to this one.

Part of an add-on from Abacus

Details here

SARDOC

BigShu

http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/index.html

That one has very basic free content.

http://www.faa-ground-school.com/Default.aspx

That one has a fair amount of free content, and a one price fee for the rest of the site plus extras.
Those are the most interesting looking ones in my favorites, for low price content.

peter rabbit

Private Investigator

usafcap1

Quote from: peter rabbit on October 31, 2012, 02:47:57 AM
NESA Mission Aircrew School Curriculum  http://nesa.cap.gov/mascurr.htm
Independent website - info not verified http://www.cap-es.net/
Youtube Becker intro Becker 517 / RT 600 Introduction
Youtube G1000 SAR software intro CAP Tip: Introduction to the Garmin G1000 Search and Rescue package
Youtube G1000 position tracking CAP Tip: Tracking aircraft position in real time on the Garmin G1000

Seattle Squadron is pretty "Boss"(cool) they are WAWG's ES squadron. Unfortunately they are not as cool as mind which does the net for of western WAWG. (Saying under my breath) >:D
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.