Form 5 in multi engine aircraft

Started by flyguy06, November 17, 2009, 02:08:01 PM

bosshawk

Keith: when you need a Form 91, let me know.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

genejackson

There is a C-310R that is used for HLS missions off the east coast.  It is privately owned but the members must be Form 5 in it such that they can fly the HLS and submit for reimbursement under CAPR 173-X.   I know because I've I/C'd the missions several times.   Where the airplane is located is not for general knowledge, just know that CAP does use them when the need arises.

Also, we've had several national sized exercises that use even bigger stuff than a C-310.   Get yourself well positioned in the HLS missions for your Wing or Region and you'll then get to find out when and where.   

CAP ROCKS!   I've now flown over 1800 hrs with CAP in the past 12 years doing SAR/DR,  CD and HLS missions so the flight opportunities are out there for everybody who applies themselves.

Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

Eclipse

Quote from: genejackson on December 17, 2009, 05:44:44 AM
CAP ROCKS!   I've now flown over 1800 hrs with CAP in the past 12 years doing SAR/DR,  CD and HLS missions so the flight opportunities are out there for everybody who applies themselves.

Lord, that's nice to hear around here once in a while!   :clap:

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

Gene: way to go, man.  We have one member-owned twin in CA that is occasionally used for HLS missions.

I can't say that I have flown that many hours for CAP, but my total hours since I have been in CAP has gone from about 900 to 3,000 during those years.  Of course, owning my own plane has helped.   :)

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

C-150

OK....I know I am flying into heavy flak here because I have suggested the use of LSA on a different thread. But my thought was to use them for light missions. As far as ME goes...the check ride a side as it has been noted...it is ok if you can find a CAP check pilot with full quals. CAP has had some ME aircraft in the past...I think an Aero Commader from the 60's is in the AF Museum that CAP flew for a while and I remember seeing an old U-2 Blue Canoe Cessna 310 in CAP markings. I think one of the West Coast Wings flew it. Not sure on that. But a ME would be great except for $$$$ factor. The added safety on night flights or over rough terrain or water would help keep the pucker down a little. The Diamond DA-42 might would be good. Not too familiar with specs on it as far as what it can carry etc.

flynd94

Quote from: C-150 on December 21, 2009, 05:39:10 AM
OK....I know I am flying into heavy flak here because I have suggested the use of LSA on a different thread. But my thought was to use them for light missions. As far as ME goes...the check ride a side as it has been noted...it is ok if you can find a CAP check pilot with full quals. CAP has had some ME aircraft in the past...I think an Aero Commader from the 60's is in the AF Museum that CAP flew for a while and I remember seeing an old U-2 Blue Canoe Cessna 310 in CAP markings. I think one of the West Coast Wings flew it. Not sure on that. But a ME would be great except for $$$$ factor. The added safety on night flights or over rough terrain or water would help keep the pucker down a little. The Diamond DA-42 might would be good. Not too familiar with specs on it as far as what it can carry etc.

The Diamond Twinstars suck as a plane.  Completely underpowered, electrical system (gens/alts) go TU, you go to back up battery power, you run your battery dead, your engines stop working.  The FADEC has no way of getting juice.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

flyguy06

Quote from: genejackson on December 17, 2009, 05:44:44 AM
There is a C-310R that is used for HLS missions off the east coast.  It is privately owned but the members must be Form 5 in it such that they can fly the HLS and submit for reimbursement under CAPR 173-X.   I know because I've I/C'd the missions several times.   Where the airplane is located is not for general knowledge, just know that CAP does use them when the need arises.

Also, we've had several national sized exercises that use even bigger stuff than a C-310.   Get yourself well positioned in the HLS missions for your Wing or Region and you'll then get to find out when and where.   

Good post. I needed to hear that. I want to get more involved with flying in CAP, but how do I get myself well positioned?

bosshawk

One way to put yourself in that position(or a similar one) is to make yourself available for every mission that comes along.  You won't get them all, but you will become known as someone who is anxious to fly for CAP and is available.  This is all assuming that there is a CAP airplane somewhere near you. From my perspective, it also means that you are qualified and current: having an instrument rating also helps.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777