What's good for motion sickness (SAR)?

Started by Walkman, December 17, 2009, 04:59:23 AM

Walkman

I've got my 1st scanner training sortie coming up. I can get a pretty bad case of the spins in the car, so I'm anticipating some of the same on the flight. When I've flown, commercial a fwe times, it wasn't an issue, but the DC9 wasn't flying search patterns either.

So. what the best OTC remedy for motion sickness as aircrew?

Flying Pig

When I was on ship we used to eat Saltine crackers. As far as air sickness, it may work.  Maybe do an experiment.

Short Field

The Mythbusters show on motion sickness tested various solutions and ginger was the winner - best results with fewest side effects.  The only problem was no dosage levels were mentioned.   – even on the Mythbusters site.  I found the following three recommendations on various sites:

-- Ginger standardized extract:  250 mg three times daily as needed.

-- Two 500mg capsules of powdered ginger 30 minutes before traveling – and one or two more after 4 hours if you start feeling nauseated.

-- Ginger is the perfect treatment for anything that causes nausea. Buy a ginger root at your local grocery story. They can be found in the produce section near the garlic. Slice it up, simmer in water for 15 minutes, and strain. Add honey to sweeten the taste. There is no set recipe for amounts, you can make it as strong or mild as you like. We've used this remedy for years... it stops vomiting instantly!

Thankfully I am not affected....
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

dbaran

In the ARCHER class (bouncing around looking down at a LCD screen in the back of the airplane), some people went with sugared ginger and others had some expensive electronic thing (also on their wrist), and both of those worked.

IceNine

I personally have been using Ginger for years, and it is the only that the completely prevents my nausea.  Dramamine only prevents vomiting, not the preliminary symptoms.

I take 2 capsules 1 hour before flight, and then 1-4 hours after that as needed.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

The advice I always hear is to make sure to eat before you go up.    Motion sickness is worse on an empty stomach.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

1 bottle of Ginger Beer.  It is different from Ginger ale.  It is stronger and has a more "burning" taste.  If you are willing to pay 5 dollars for thirty pills, ask you local doc for "Emend" (aprepitant).  It is a different class of Anti-nausea medication, approved by the FDA.  Stay away from over the counter pills.  Tell the doc, you get motion sickness, and will be flying.  Should have no problems.

This is the FULL list of anti-nausea drugs currently on the market (both over the counter and by prescription:

• aprepitant (Emend®
  • dolasetron (Anzemet®
  • granisetron (Kytril®
  • ondansetron (Zofran®)
  • palonosetron (Aloxi®
  • proclorperazine (Compazine®)
  • promethazine (Anergan®),(Phenergan®)
  • lorazepam (Ativan®
  • metoclopramide (Reglan®)
  • dexamethasone (Decadron®
  • famotidine (Pepcid®)
  • ranitidine (Zantac®)
I would also make an appointment to see a ottolaryngologist (Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor).  Motion sickness is a form of balance control originating in the ear, which affects your other organs.  The actual nausea is brought on by your mind, and the organs react to what your mind think is happening.  It really is a simple fix that most insurance plans cover these days. 

•  

PHall

Do you, and the pilot a favor and bring 2 or 3 sealable 1 or 2 quart freezer bags to use as sick sacks in case your precautions don't work.
Puking is bad enough, but puking all over the inside of the airplane is not something you ever want to do.  :-[

jeders

Quote from: PHall on December 17, 2009, 06:00:56 AM
Do you, and the pilot a favor and bring 2 or 3 sealable 1 or 2 quart freezer bags to use as sick sacks in case your precautions don't work.
Puking is bad enough, but puking all over the inside of the airplane is not something you ever want to do.  :-[

+1

I personally drink a cup of ginger tea before I fly if I think I'm going to have problems. But if you do, taste test it a little first. The first time I drank it, I nearly spit it out because of the taste. Now, I enjoy drinking it even if I'm not going flying.

But even if I do take precautions to prevent nausea, I still bring some Sic-Sacs along with me.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Another thing is making sure you're keeping your eyes outside so that your visual perception of motion matches your physical sensation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Great info everyone!

I'm really interested in GSAR, but seeing as we don't get much of that work out here if any, I thought I'd get aircrew going as well. I've been nervous because of the motion sickness, though, so I'm feeling better now.

Any more ideas, keep 'em coming.

Stonewall

You're not aircrew until you puke. Don't let it discourage you.  Puke and get back up in the air.

I never get air sick.  I just don't.  It wasn't until a Mountain Flying Clinic, after hours of circles around mountain peaks, that I lost it; and not until final approach for landing.  Sometimes you just have to hurl.
Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

I've never ralphed but I've come close.  Bring a bag.  I take a folded 50 gallon trash bag.  I figure if it's big enough for my head to fit in, I won't bespoil the aircraft.

I ran an aircrew course that an old SF team mate attended.  Even though he had more than 1,000 jumps and had spent countless hours in a C-130 flying nap of the earth, he barfed all over himself.  For graduation, he refused to change his flight suit - he thought of his besotted flying togs as part of the price to get his wings.  I've kept that picture of his graduation.  The look on his face (huge smile) said it all.

EMT-83

Quote from: PHall on December 17, 2009, 06:00:56 AM

If you're only going to remember one piece of advice, this is the one. Never, ever, try to hurl out the window!

I have yet to get air sick; but I know it's a matter of when, not if. I make sure to eat, but keep it light. No ham and eggs or greasy pizza before takeoff.

cap235629

my best advice is.......................GTM3     >:D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

MSgt Van

I've used ginger with good results. Now I keep that electronic watch-type gizmo in my flight bag. Keeps me stable during extended hours of flying around Maxwell in August (hot, muggy, bouncy) while working with  ARCHER students.

ARCHER rule #1 - don't barf on the keyboard.

MSgt Van

Quote from: Gunner C on December 17, 2009, 04:28:38 PM
I take a folded 50 gallon trash bag.  I figure if it's big enough for my head to fit in, I won't bespoil the aircraft.

;D  :clap:

Gunner C

Quote from: MSgt Van on December 17, 2009, 06:57:39 PM

ARCHER rule #1 - don't barf on the keyboard.
Keyboard is less expensive than the C-MIGITS.  Now that'll just ruin your day.  :o

MSgt Van

flyerthom

1) Eat before you go. It settles the stomach.
2) Motion sickness nausea comes from the inner ear. The best OTC for this is meclizine. The OTC versions are Bonnie, Bonamine, Postafen. Prescription version is Antivert. You may also find it as Dramamine - less drowsy formulation. Funny thing is that med has no Dramamine  in it. Look in the ingredients for meclizine.
3) Ginger does work and makes you less drowsy than any of the anti emetics.
4) Put some kitty litter in the bottom of your um convenience bag. It will absorb fluids and if you use a better kind some of the smell.
   4a) if you have the bags you won't need them
5) Don't use binoculars.
6) If you are taking photos - a camera with a real eye piece will give you a better photo and and cause less nausea.
TC