American Samoa Islands Earthquake & Tsunami

Started by Wildblueflyer, October 01, 2009, 05:22:16 PM

Wildblueflyer

Does anyone know if there is a CAP squadron in American Samoa?  I've checked the unit locator and there isn't a squadron listed, but it might not be up-to-date.

Spike

No there is not.

However, there are a few Cadets and Senior Members in Hawaii Wing that come from A S.

Cecil DP

HAwaii Wing encompasses the Pacific Island territories and possessions, including Guam, A.S., and Wake Island. Whether there are any squadrons in these areas I couldn't say. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AirDX

No, neither Guam nor American Samoa have units.  Wake is inhabited solely by unaccompanied military and contract personnel.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AlphaSigOU

Neither is Kwajalein, though I do lay 'claim' to being the lone active CAP member on island (But then, I still am carried on the books in Texas Wing.)

Current CAP regulations will not allow an NHQ-charter overseas cadet squadron except on a USAF overseas installation. Likewise, they also require an active duty E-6 or higher for a squadron commander. (There are only 16 active-duty Army on island; the inmates - ahem, contractors - run the asylum - ahem - island.  ;D) Unless CAPR 35-4 gets changed, it's highly unlikely there'll be a cadet squadron on Kwaj.

There was a tsunami warning issued for the Marshall Islands after the Great Samoan Shake, but it was later cancelled. The oceanside reef on Kwajalein drops down to over 5000 feet depth about 200 yards from shore, so any tsunami has little chance to form. Most times it's just a small ripple in the water. We're more worried about tropical storms and typhoons. Many typhoons, including the ones that laid waste to the Philippines the other day got their start as a tropical disturbance  that dumped lots of rain in the Marshalls.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040