CAP transfered from USAF to Homeland Security??

Started by whatevah, April 01, 2009, 04:37:31 AM

whatevah

holy cow, I expected this one day, but thought it would be at least 20 years in the future.

members.gocivilairpatrol.com/news/

QuoteCivil Air Patrol joins the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Release Date: April 1, 2009

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano today announced that the premier volunteer Search and Rescue (SAR) agency, Civilian Air Patrol (CAP), will be moving from the United States Air Force to the Department of Homeland Security joining the fellow SAR agency the U.S. Coast Guard. The organizational move will be effective July 1, 2009.

"The Civil Air Patrol has actively worked with the DHS in the past and we felt that the move seemed to be a natural choice" said Maj Gen Amy Courter, CAP National Commander. "We have been trying to distance ourselves from the active duty Air Force by changing our uniforms and fitness standards, and moving to the DHS opens new doors and uniform options."

Presently based at Maxwell AFB in Alabama, the CAP will move its offices to the U.S. Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, DC.  "The location was a no-brainer" said MGen Courter, "the Coasties handle the water searches and we handle land-based searches so you only have to call one office."

Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, is a nonprofit organization with 56,000 members nationwide. CAP performs 90 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions as tasked by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center and was credited by the AFRCC with saving 91 lives in fiscal year 2008. Its volunteers also perform homeland security, disaster relief and counter-drug missions at the request of federal, state and local agencies. The members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to the nearly 22,000 young people currently participating in CAP cadet programs. CAP has been performing missions for America for more than 67 years. For more information on CAP, please visit www.gocivilairpatrol.com.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

whatevah

great... "Civilian Air Patrol".  even the DHS press people can't get the name right.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JoeTomasone

JC004

BIG NEWS!  I am posting this on www.pawingcap.com

I hope we get another new logo.

JAFO78

JAFO

Strick

Son of B@#$%^  You guys got me ..   I just ORDERED COAST GUARD stuff from Vanguard ;D
[darn]atio memoriae

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Strick on April 01, 2009, 01:07:39 PM
Son of B@#$%^  You guys got me ..   I just ORDERED COAST GUARD stuff from Vanguard ;D

Don't worry, you've got a few weeks to cancel it before it ships.  :)

Pumbaa

Jeezuz.... I forgot what day it was... I was had for about 15 seconds!!!

Pylon

Quote from: JC004 on April 01, 2009, 05:24:26 AM

Only one new logo?  Pssht!  NHQ ought to be able to stretch at least two logos, a seal, a shield (with at least two variations on each), as well as two new organizational names out of this one. 

I vote for: "U.S. Civil Air Patrol of the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, Citizens Helping Communities Above and Beyond, Inc."
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Pylon on April 01, 2009, 01:20:17 PM

Only one new logo?  Pssht!  NHQ ought to be able to stretch at least two logos, a seal, a shield (with at least two variations on each), as well as two new organizational names out of this one. 

I vote for: "U.S. Civil Air Patrol of the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary, Citizens Helping Communities Above and Beyond, Inc."
Don't forget "To infinity and beyond!"   >:D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SoCalCAPOfficer

Quote from: wuzafuzz on April 01, 2009, 01:23:18 PM
Quote from: Pylon on April 01, 2009, 01:20:17 PM

Don't forget "To infinity and beyond!"   >:D

And let us not forget  "More Than Meets The Skies"
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Strick

How about        "EAT ALL YOU CAN EAT IN THE CAP"   ;D
[darn]atio memoriae

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Strick on April 01, 2009, 05:21:05 PM
How about        "EAT ALL YOU CAN EAT IN THE CAP"   ;D

Is that how you get the donut ribbon?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

JohnKachenmeister

Best April Fool's day joke anyone pulled on me since my son called me to tell me that he was getting back with his ex-wife!   :D
Another former CAP officer

PaulR

it is a great joke!! You had me going as well...

The CAP mission would fit the mold for being moved to the DHS.

BTCS1*

that got me for a sec... then I looked at the date! LOL
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

CAP_truth

Checked National Headquarters and Department of Homeland Security, there was no information about this.  In order to do this it would need "AN ACT OF CONGRESS" BAD joke.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: CAP_truth on April 02, 2009, 04:48:57 PM
Checked National Headquarters and Department of Homeland Security, there was no information about this.  In order to do this it would need "AN ACT OF CONGRESS" BAD joke.

Please tell me you didn't REALLY call!   :o
Another former CAP officer

davidsinn

It was apparently a good joke because you fell for it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

CAP_truth

No! did not call just link to CAP news. Always check the facts. This had to be started by the same person who wants to get rid of all the top brass because they would not allow this person back into CAP or he that shall remain nameless.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

DC

Quote from: CAP_truth on April 02, 2009, 09:39:10 PM
No! did not call just link to CAP news. Always check the facts. This had to be started by the same person who wants to get rid of all the top brass because they would not allow this person back into CAP or he that shall remain nameless.
I doubt there is anything to this, it was an April Fools Day joke, thats all...

whatevah

Are you seriously serious? There is no conspiracy here.  It was posted on April 1st, by a smartalec forum co-owner.  APRIL FOOLS!
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Gunner C

I wonder how many calls NHQ got about this . . .  ;D

JoeTomasone

Quote from: whatevah on April 02, 2009, 10:41:16 PM
Are you seriously serious? There is no conspiracy here.  It was posted on April 1st, by a smartalec forum co-owner.  APRIL FOOLS!

I hope he didn't see the article about the pink BDU hats...  :D

Pumbaa

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Pumbaa on April 03, 2009, 09:56:22 AM
Some cadinks need to lighten up...

Uh, I don't think he's a Cadet, sir... At least, anymore.  *points to the awards his sig*

CAPSGT

Not true, once a cadet always a cadet.  The membership card may not reflect it, but the mentality is always there to some degree. 
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

flyerthom

Better than the one I was going to pull except my wife discourages me from buying photoshop.
TC

PaulR