Main Menu

Team Building

Started by Walkman, April 01, 2014, 01:36:03 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on April 01, 2014, 08:00:13 PM
Think about the best CC you've had. How did they motivate the unit? How did they help people work together smoothly?

The first year is the toughest. So if you keep a heads up and think about what you did, the second year will easy. Also I tell people do it 'their way' we do not need another Eisenhower or a Patton. Your second and third tours as a Commander will be awesome. But do your best on your first.

BTW, the best Group CC was me, for Squadron CC a few stand out for different reasons. Of course the worst CCs really are memorable and for the wrong reasons. I had a chance to know some very exceptional Wing Commanders too.  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

My first CC was very good.

However,  he got rapidly kicked upstairs - first, to Wing IG and then to Wing Commander.  He did not do his full tour as Wing CC.  He resigned because of health issues and I think he was just burnt-out in running things.  He later became a Region PD Officer...I think he is retired now.  CAP had been much of his entire life since he was a teenager since he was ineligible to join the military (again, health reasons).  He was well-known at National...after he pinned on his "chickens" I said to him, "Sir, at this rate you will be our National CC soon!"  He gave me a very dark look and said, "Because I like you, Lieutenant, I will forget you said that."

My second commander (same unit) was very good at what she did.  She had been an Air Force nurse and was spit-and-polish as they come.  However, she was "cadets, cadets, cadets," and once her daughter got out of CAP she rapidly dialled-down her involvement and handed off to my third (and best) CC.

He and I had an unbelievably good personal and professional relationship.  I eventually became Deputy CC and we had a very "Picard/Riker"-like relationship.  He was very even-handed and fair, and really paid attention to the fact that we were a composite squadron.  He also built up a relationship with a (relatively) nearby squadron that had an aircraft (where I got most of my Aircrew qualifications).  I spent a lot of weekends there.

Probably the thing I will remember most about him was at our last meeting before the holidays one year as we were leaving...he said, "Captain," and I turned around and he snapped-to and saluted me (he was a Major).  I was surprised, but returned his salute.  He said "Thank you for being an excellent officer and a good friend over the past year (he had lost both his parents in the previous calendar year)."

That is something you cannot quantify with rank or ribbons.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

rmutchler

After serving my first year as a Squadron CC, I will admit, it has been a challenge.  Would I have decided to not take command knowing the year I have had? No.  It has a great challenge between a squadron merge and getting my footing as a commander.  At the end of the day, seeing the cadets succeed and the missions being accomplished makes the work worth it.

I haven't used any team building material, just hard work and trying to lead by example - if I expect the cadets to wear blues, I set the example myself.  I don't ask anything of the members that I am not willing to do myself or have not done myself.  Having excellent staff helps.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: CyBorg on April 02, 2014, 08:02:30 PM
First off, I hate slogans and motivational posters.

Second off, I hate so-called "team building" exercises.

To me it's quite simple.

If you mistreat and/or let your people wither on the vine, you will not retain them.

If you work with them and not lord it over them, your chances of retaining them and them becoming productive are much better.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Absolutely spot on !

Private Investigator

Quote from: THRAWN on April 02, 2014, 08:33:24 PM
Nothing like a large scale natural or technological disaster to bring a team together. Blizzards, hurricanes and terrorists have done more to build team work that all of the "what kind of animal are you?" exercises and corporate mission statements ever devised.

Well it should be if we "assume" everyone is on the high road. I have seen the "epic fail" in the military, law enforcement, every place you get humans together. When the 'smores hits the fan, you have heroes and then you have zeroes. Recognize your true heroes and a reality check for disasters are 20% is doing 80% of the work. So you have people there because either they want it on their resume or they were ordered to be there. Now that is another spin, YMMV but JMHO   8)