Main Menu

Team Building

Started by Walkman, April 01, 2014, 01:36:03 PM

Walkman

The words "Team Building" has become buzz in a number of arenas. I've seen a ton of team building activities, most are better suited for elementary schools than anything else. Then there are your garden variety Dilbert-esque corporate TeamBuildersPlusĀ® activities. The idea of activities specifically designed to foster unit cohesion and morale, however, is a good one.

What kinds of things have you done that have resulted in your unit being a stronger group? We have a solid foundation in my squadron to build on, but I want to keep us growing and hitting higher levels, especially as we start a new recruiting push soon.

EMT-83

My personal opinion is that team building exercises are a complete waste of time. It's all about how you treat your people on a daily basis.

jeders

Team building exercises are a great tool for quickly building unit cohesion at an activity where you are throwing strangers together and don't have time for the normal forming-storming-norming cycle. Examples are places such as encampment, RSC, and NSC. At the squadron level, however, where you already have a solid foundation, these sort of exercises are often more of a distraction. That's not to say they are a complete waste of time, but you would be better served by just continuing to work as a team on regular business and treat everyone with respect.

All of that said, a team building exercise, even of the cadet variety, can be a welcome break from the norm and can help bring some people further into the fold. Just don't over do it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 01, 2014, 01:44:46 PMMy personal opinion is that team building exercises are a complete waste of time. It's all about how you treat your people on a daily basis.
You and me both. It's a slick way of masquerading a fun outing at corporate/tax payer expense. The marketing people succeeded.

Private Investigator

Quote from: jeders on April 01, 2014, 01:52:30 PM
Team building exercises are a great tool for quickly building unit cohesion at an activity where you are throwing strangers together and don't have time for the normal forming-storming-norming cycle. Examples are places such as encampment, RSC, and NSC. At the squadron level, however, where you already have a solid foundation, these sort of exercises are often more of a distraction. ...

Exactly. We had a new Member who became a Squadron Commander and his first year he thought he could make his Squadron more like the corporate model he worships. He lost 20% of the members.    8) 

Al Sayre

Together Everyone Achieves Mediocrity...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JeffDG

Walkman

I agree with the responses in general. Most of the time anything "team building" goes on, it's pretty lame. I guess I didn't really word my post well. I'm not looking for the newest version of "trust-falls", but what things make a real impact on the solidarity of a group?

Were you ever on a great sports team - what was the coach like and what did they do to get everyone to play well together?

Think about the best CC you've had. How did they motivate the unit? How did they help people work together smoothly?

I know doing the human knot exercise once isn't going to suddenly turn a group into a well-oiled machine. I'm looking for things to keep in the back of my head to build my unit up.

JeffDG

The main issue is that people try to use "Team Building" exercises to shortcut the stages of team formation:  Forming-Storming-Norming-Performing.

Every team goes through those stages.  And every time the membership in a team changes, you reset to the beginning...now if you take a large team and add a new member, the stages go pretty quick, but they do happen.

You can't avoid the "Storming" stage.  What you can do, as a leader, is be prepared for it and be prepared to deal with a certain amount of conflict.  Conflict is the breeder of creativity, if appropriately channeled and managed.

Walkman

Quote from: JeffDG on April 01, 2014, 08:03:54 PM
The main issue is that people try to use "Team Building" exercises to shortcut the stages of team formation:  Forming-Storming-Norming-Performing.

Every team goes through those stages.  And every time the membership in a team changes, you reset to the beginning...now if you take a large team and add a new member, the stages go pretty quick, but they do happen.

You can't avoid the "Storming" stage.  What you can do, as a leader, is be prepared for it and be prepared to deal with a certain amount of conflict.  Conflict is the breeder of creativity, if appropriately channeled and managed.

The 2nd week after I took command, I did a short briefing on those stages with everyone. We had been in a "storming" stage for a while (previous CC was ill for a while, new c/CC, several new cadets with high grade moving in from other units, almost all of Dec & Jan meeting CNX for WX). We had a few cadets that were ready to quit because of the situation. My intent was to explain where we were and where would be going. I really wanted to point out that we would be going through the "storming" stage and it would be up to everyone how well we moved through it.

One thing that has been running through my mind is that great teams are built when they overcome obstacles or go through rough times together. Isn't that why military units have the reputation for being so close?

I'm trying to be proactive with this new CC position. I have a big picture idea of where I want to end up, so I'm constantly searching for ideas and practices to help me get there.

sardak

QuoteConflict is the breeder of creativity, if appropriately channeled and managed.
A federal Type 1 incident commander gave us a couple of bits of wisdom at a training:

Constructive insubordination can be OK.
If you're trying to think like me, one of us is redundant.

Mike

JeffDG

Quote from: sardak on April 01, 2014, 08:22:58 PM
QuoteConflict is the breeder of creativity, if appropriately channeled and managed.
A federal Type 1 incident commander gave us a couple of bits of wisdom at a training:

Mike

Lack of conflict in a team situation, to me, is a symptom that the team has descended into the hell called "groupthink", which is the epitome of Kennedy's Comment on Committees:  "A committee is 12 people doing the work of one."

jimmydeanno

For cadet related stuff, I like "team building" activities that make the cadets assume different roles to accomplish the goal.  If there is a junior NCO, they're good opportunities for them to learn how to lead small teams, etc.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SunDog

Shared near-death experiences work pretty well for establishing mutual trust. Unless someone runs away screaming like a little girl.  Hurts the rep for reliability. 

Short of the threat of sudden grusome death, shared hardship works almost as well.  Two weeks adrift in a life raft, maybe? With rescue uncertain, some severe injuries, and insufficient water?

If you can arrange a loss of control aircraft accident, terminating with a last second recovery just before a semi-successful ditching, you could have the makings of a good team building event.

Else, the run-of-the-mill events seem contrived, with little at risk and less to be gained. I guess long association with other members, where you come to appreciate their talents and contrubutions, builds some trust, as well. 

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: sardak on April 01, 2014, 08:22:58 PM

Mike

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Walkman on April 01, 2014, 08:21:09 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on April 01, 2014, 08:03:54 PM

The 2nd week after I took command, I did a short briefing on those stages with everyone. We had been in a "storming" stage for a while (previous CC was ill for a while, new c/CC, several new cadets with high grade moving in from other units, almost all of Dec & Jan meeting CNX for WX). We had a few cadets that were ready to quit because of the situation. My intent was to explain where we were and where would be going. I really wanted to point out that we would be going through the "storming" stage and it would be up to everyone how well we moved through it.

One thing that has been running through my mind is that great teams are built when they overcome obstacles or go through rough times together. Isn't that why military units have the reputation for being so close?

I'm trying to be proactive with this new CC position. I have a big picture idea of where I want to end up, so I'm constantly searching for ideas and practices to help me get there.

Personally, I think you're doing the right thing.  Like several other correspondents I have an innate dislike of 'team-building' events because I've been to Dilbert-land far too often and I refused to go to the last debacle that my previous employer tried to organize.  I think that Walkman and JeffDG have it right: you can't avoid the basic stages of team formation and you can't short-circuit them.

For the cadets, I have used some of that type of exercise, borrowed from places like the USCG Training Center, to get them to try different roles and to get them used to giving briefings etc.  Worked well and it was a fun thing to do on a warm summer evening at the HQ.

For the Seniors, I think you're on the right track: treat them as adults who give of their scarce time voluntarily, explain where the group needs to go and keep sharing that vision.  It's better spoken regularly and concisely at meetings than it is being posted on the wall.  Don't get too hung up on finding the newest way to do things - the tried and trusted got that way for a reason!   

The CyBorg is destroyed

First off, I hate slogans and motivational posters.

Second off, I hate so-called "team building" exercises.

To me it's quite simple.

If you mistreat and/or let your people wither on the vine, you will not retain them.

If you work with them and not lord it over them, your chances of retaining them and them becoming productive are much better.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

pierson777

I'm a professional pilot, but my background before that was BS degree in Business Management and HR with several years as a retail manager.  I've seen my fair share of teambuilding activities and have had to conduct them myself on several occasions.  They can be good, bad, and ugly.  I have a bit of a distain for them, because of how inappropriately they are implemented.  I once spent three days in a hotel conference room doing team building junk with other store managers.  None of us ever worked together before or ever after.  Why try to build a team that doesn't ever work together?  Beats me, but it was the popluar thing to do in the corporate world.  We were not sent back to our stores to conduct similar training.   They did not discuss the nuiances of the stages of teambuilding.  They wasted our time.  Teaching procedures, concepts, skills, etc. would be much more useful.

I have implemented teambuilding exercises with somine secretly assigned a role such as an antagonist, a "yes" man, an uninvolved person, a misdirector, a constant joker, a contstant story teller, etc.  This actually becomes a different exercise disquised as teambuilding.  The goal is to have participants gain experience in dealing with these types of characteristics, and hopefully open their eyes to how their own behavior may affect a group.

Private Investigator

Quote from: JeffDG on April 01, 2014, 07:57:20 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on April 01, 2014, 07:45:45 PM
Together Everyone Achieves Mediocrity...

I like motivational posters. I am going to do something awesome in the corporate world today  :clap:

THRAWN

Nothing like a large scale natural or technological disaster to bring a team together. Blizzards, hurricanes and terrorists have done more to build team work that all of the "what kind of animal are you?" exercises and corporate mission statements ever devised.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023