Main Menu

First command

Started by Walkman, February 07, 2014, 01:24:00 AM

Walkman

Tuesday I took on my first command assignment as Sqdn CC. Excited & nervous at the same time. We've got a solid unit (Nat'l Quality Cadet Unit award in 2013, have really good members with slow, steady growth), which I am grateful for. It means I can spend my time learning the job and setting goals and not putting out 100 fires every week.

Luckily, the CAP=Commander Always Pays won't work in my case. 4 hours before the change of command, I was let go from my job. :o At least I'll have lots of time to dedicate to being CC!

Eclipse

Good luck and congrats.

Unit CC is the best job in CAP!

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Congrats on your command and good luck in finding a new and more worthwhile job.

Storm Chaser

Congratulations and good luck with your job hunting.

rmutchler

I know how it goes being a rookie commander.  Took my first command in April last year.  Having a good staff helps a ton!

Good luck on both fronts.

Ron

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Just don't forget the most important part of your job, grooming your replacement!

Panache

We just wanted to wish you good luck.  We're all counting on you.

Tim Medeiros

Congrats on the new assignment, and good luck on the job hunt!
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

NIN

Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2014, 01:24:00 AM
Luckily, the CAP=Commander Always Pays won't work in my case. 4 hours before the change of command, I was let go from my job. :o At least I'll have lots of time to dedicate to being CC!

Job hunting is easy compared to commanding a CAP sq..

OK maybe not.

Good luck on the hunt, man.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Congrats! You never forget the first time you take the flag. You have a lot of resources around you, don't hesitate to get advice. Good luck and remember to have some fun!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MacGruff

Congrats and good luck on the job hunt!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2014, 01:24:00 AM
Tuesday I took on my first command assignment as Sqdn CC. Excited & nervous at the same time. We've got a solid unit (Nat'l Quality Cadet Unit award in 2013 ...

The first year you will learn a lot and then repeat it in year #2, #3, etc, etc. i.e., preparing the Cadets for encampment, same every year, good boots and knowledge.

The downside of getting Unit awards, most Units tend to slide after getting it.

Congratulations and have fun.  :clap:

mwewing

I saw the announcement of your CC position a while back. I had been meaning to ask if you were applying for it. Congratulations! I am sure you will do an outstanding job. I just took command of MI-135 on Monday... looks like we are on the same journey.

I am sure you will find a new job shortly. If i come across anything in your field, I will pass it along to you.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

ProdigalJim

Congrats! I took command a year and three days ago, and was pretty nervous at the prospect. A large squadron with a good staff and a great reputation...it was intimidating in a way, even though I've run large organizations in a very visible role for more than a decade.

I'm being told I'm doing a good job, but honestly I didn't feel like it until maybe a month ago; that's when I finally felt I had a handle on things, not just in my unit but how my unit relates up the chain.

Ask for help.

And good luck on the job front...don't be afraid to do a little networking here.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Walkman

Thanks for the support everyone. Its going to be a wild ride the next few months!

SamFranklin

Squadron commander is the best job in all of CAP. Most challenging. Most fun. Most immediately rewarding. And arguably most important.

Private Investigator

^ I have to agree.

Squadron Commander is the most fun. I am guessing why they created term limits otherwise no one else will have the great experience.  8)

Eclipse

Term limits aside, I've felt this way since the day I left my CC pin on the desk (earlier then I had to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJiU9BOEBI

"While you're there, can rmake a difference..."

"That Others May Zoom"

rmutchler

Quote from: SamFranklin on February 10, 2014, 03:31:38 PM
Squadron commander is the best job in all of CAP. Most challenging. Most fun. Most immediately rewarding. And arguably most important.

I can definitely attest to the challenging part.  My first year has been interesting, and I still have 2 more months before the 1st year is complete.  Would I go back and change my mind if I knew this was going to be my first year...probably not.  It has been a challenge, but it has been fun.

Elmer

I agree, squadron commander was the best - it really made me learn in depth about the whole program, not just what interested me. 

I would also add that I liked being a Group Commander the least.  Not that it was a terrible experience, just ranking them.  Lots of responsibility, yet mostly dependant upon the unit commanders to execute on their responsibilities and feeling like I had to spend a lot of time reminding them. 

flyboy53

Agree about the group commander experience.

Mine was like trying to stay on a bucking bronco for the count -- when not seeming to be in the center of a bench vice.

So much responsibility, so many personalities, so personal, so many problems to iron out, so much accountability, so un-rewarding. Then I saw the movie, "Command Decision," an realized it was the nature of such a command assignment.

Good luck!

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on February 11, 2014, 08:31:35 PM
Term limits aside, I've felt this way since the day I left my CC pin on the desk (earlier then I had to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJiU9BOEBI

"While you're there, can rmake a difference..."

Thanks for posting that!

Private Investigator

I thought Group Command would be ten times more fun than Squadron Commander since I have ten Squadrons. That was my first mistake.

I would do it again but I pefer to be a mentor for the next generation.  8)

ol'fido

Just concentrate on doing the right thing and don't worry about getting fired. Too many commanders do just enough to not get fired. Don't be afraid to upset a few applecarts.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006