Long-Term Schedule For Cadets

Started by Violan, March 21, 2013, 02:01:19 AM

Violan

Hey! I was wondering if there was a Cadet Great Start equivalent for cadets already in CAP? I was wanting to come up with a 6-month or so plan for our cadets to follow so that they can learn new material and not be repeating old information so often.

arajca

Check the National Cadet Programs page. They have a two year suggested schedule, including lesson plans and activities.

a2capt

CAPR 52-16 has a lot of information in it. :) Quite a few years went into that regulation's shaping.

Eclipse

^ Seriously.

Between the first 1-2 grades and your units structured 13-week schedule, there should be more then enough to keep new cadets engaged.

if you're repeating information, it's time to start reconsidering your program.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spartan

Quote from: Eclipse on March 21, 2013, 01:59:02 PM
Between the first 1-2 grades and your units structured 13-week schedule, there should be more then enough to keep new cadets engaged.

if you're repeating information, it's time to start reconsidering your program.

I agree.  If you are repeating information, you need to look at your goals or lack there of and reassess where you want to go.  It is a sure way to have people lose interest if the same thing happens over, and over, and over, and over again.  In one month, a schedule can easily provide all the requirements for a cadet to promote if they have the fast track from being in JROTC.  Having specific recurring training doesn't need to be the same character development or the same leadership exercise each month.  Sit down, write out the goals you have been given to you by your leadership and how you are going to get there.  If you have not been assigned goals, talk with your supervisor and get guidance.  Talk with your subordinate leaders and see what realistic things they would like to do.  Review your cadet programs regulations, uniform inspection results, drill test results, testing trends and look at where you can improve on the current situation.  Small improvements add up quickly.  Put together a rough plan including what you want to cover for training and present it to your superior for their input.  Adjust for holidays and interesting upcomming events, assign training tasks to develop junior leaders' abilities and have a written and realistic schedule.  Brief your both your followers and leaders on this schedule regularly and inform them of any changes as soon as they are known.  Remember that prior planning prevents p!@# poor performance.

Violan

Thank you! This has given me a lot to think about. In a good way. :)

Offutteer

As others have mentioned, NHQ does have a 2 year plan available in their library (top right):

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/

After viewing the 2 year plan, check out the CP Resource Guide, Featured link (cadets with a sectional photo). That lists all of the resources available and gives a small description.  The web page is nice with all of the links, but the guide's description gives you a much better idea of what's available.