Air Force Museum -Billeting?

Started by xray328, November 15, 2017, 05:46:58 PM

xray328

We'd like to do take our cadets on a 2 day trip to the Air Force museum.  Has anyone been able to use billeting on Wright-Patterson?

Eclipse

The generic answer will be "yes", however good luck. 

Last time I spoke with the LR-ADO, he said they had been slammed for ages and even
military personnel were having trouble getting rooms on orders.

It's all Space-A, so it might be "A" today and not when you show up.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Has anyone found a cheap alternative? It's 5 hours from here so a down and back in one day won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2017, 05:50:02 PM
The generic answer will be "yes", however good luck. 

Last time I spoke with the LR-ADO, he said they had been slammed for ages and even
military personnel were having trouble getting rooms on orders.

It's all Space-A, so it might be "A" today and not when you show up.

Military members are billeted off base about half the time. And you can forget about about billeting on-base on a weekend when the 445th is having their UTA.

kwe1009

One option is the Boy Scout camp on WPAFB.  It is free but is primitive.  Only porta johns but the campground is just down the road and it has showers and real bathrooms for use.  The campground itself is another option but it is not free.  More info on the scout camp and also getting authorization to eat in the chow hall can be found at https://www.88thfss.com/pdf/camprequestform2014.pdf

xray328

Thanks, we're looking to do this over the winter..any indoor options there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spaceman3750

We've successfully used Wright State University twice now. They are also the host for NCC. I don't know what availability they will have in the winter, as they basically rent the dorms over the summer. I will PM you contact info.

kwe1009

Yea, I definitely would not want to camp out there in the winter.  Contact the 88th Force Support Squadron.  We have had luck in getting either a gym or other building under their control for weekend activities at other bases. 

Before contacting the base, I would reach out to the local CAP squadron for guidance and assistance.  That is what family is for!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: kwe1009 on November 15, 2017, 08:27:40 PM
Before contacting the base, I would reach out to the local CAP squadron for guidance and assistance.  That is what family is for!

BTDT didn't get an answer (but it was a few years ago). I figure they probably get hit up a lot.

lordmonar

And of course.......all requests for military support need to be routed through CAP-USAF.  Be sure to keep these guys in the loop.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Slim

How many people are you talking?  That time of year, about your best bet is going to be hotels.  I know there is a Red Roof Inn that's essentially a couple miles off base (on Colonel Glenn Rd) that looked decent.  Quite a few of my RSC classmates stayed there; with the CAP discount it was about $45 a night as I recall.  Four to a room, and you're looking at $10-15 per person per night.  Another billeting option we had was the Hope Hotel, which is right next to gate 12, but outside the fence.  Not sure if it's military run or affiliated somehow, but it was definitely not the Air Force Inn on base (which we were told wasn't an option).  As for me, I took the Wright State University option, but I'm guessing those dorms will be occupied during the winter.

I'd also suggest contacting the GLLR office, it's right there on base, and asking about options (i.e. the Hope Hotel), and they'll be able to arrange for base access as well, W-P has a very well stocked MCSS.

Slim