Uniform accommodations for religious reasons

Started by Hawk200, December 17, 2019, 11:07:15 PM

Hawk200

https://nj1015.com/joint-base-airman-becomes-3rd-in-u-s-approved-for-uniform-turban/

This is not intended as flame bait, so I hope this remains civil.

Considering this is allowance for the Air Force uniform, does CAP make similar accommodation for our variant uniforms?

Just thinking that it would be odd if this individual showed up to a CAP meeting wanting to join, and was told he couldn't wear basically the same uniform due to his headgear.

Would CAP allow the variation? Should we?

Any references would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 17, 2019, 11:07:15 PM
Considering this is allowance for the Air Force uniform, does CAP make similar accommodation for our variant uniforms?

Yes, and they are getting more common every day.  I've had some peripheral involvement in a few of them.

The ones I have seen have been primarily for Chaplains, and the considerations and approvals are done, obviously,
at NHQ, with the requisite considerations and approvals at the levels in between.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

We would do what we would do for any other member asking for a religious accommodation.
Apply for it as per the regs and wait for a reply. Haven't seen one turned down yet.

Fester

CAPM 39-1 lays out exactly how to seek a waiver.  Imagine that.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Spam

This has come up already from time to time.
(Ref:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20898.msg384021#msg384021 for example).

Having run the gates on the seek-a-waiver drill (up through NHQ/DP) it was pointed out that no waiver was required for my members to wear religious headgear such as a hijab (muslim female), kippah (jewish male - yarmulke), or turban (sikh male), as long as they adhered to the guidance in the manual.

CAPM 39-1 26 JUNE 2014
6.3.1.6. Religious Apparel. Members may wear certain visible items of religious apparel
while in uniform. Religious apparel is defined as articles of clothing or dress that are part of the doctrine
or traditional observance of the religious faith practiced by the member. Hair and grooming practices are
not included in the meaning of religious apparel. Jewelry of a religious nature must conform to standards
set forth in this regulation for wear of non-religious jewelry. Head coverings must be plain dark blue or
black without adornment. In addition, they may be worn underneath military headgear if they do not
interfere with the proper fit or appearance of the headgear. For example, Jewish yarmulkes meet this
requirement if they do not exceed 6 inches in diameter.

So, my cadet in question at the time had already, believe it or not, sourced a BDU woodland camo pattern hijab, as well as an AF blue one, which she wore on alternating weeks depending on the uniform of the day!  We had to ask her to shelve the camo one, which she did wear on PT nights just for fun (she kidded that she needed to get a blaze orange one for nighttime PT safety). All was well, and I've since seen a couple of other cadets follow in her wake, locally.

Follow up:  she is now an active duty junior NCO, serving proudly. Also the two jewish brother cadets I mentioned years ago (who wore yarmulkes in uniform) are both cadets at Colorado Springs (USAFA). Presumably all three continue to correctly wear religious headgear while serving America.

So, on headgear, no drama, no waivers required, AF Blue or black only, and Press On!

On other religious accommodation issues, some further discussion may be required.  Say, if a hypothetical young sikh cadet states a need to wear Kesh (uncut hair), Kangha (a wooden comb for the hair), Kara (the iron bracelet), and carry a Kirpan (small dagger, generally a 3" meets the rule as I understand it), that's not explicit in 39-1 and may need some discussion/documentation.  This are long-documented religious principles from their faith, and have long been respected in the British military, who have long valued Sikh and Gurkha warriors as among the worlds best. My opinion - good on DoD for being smart enough to welcome the capability brought by honoring this diversity.

R/s
Spam

Hawk200

Quote from: Spam on December 18, 2019, 01:22:15 PM

This has come up already from time to time.
(Ref:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20898.msg384021#msg384021 for example).

Having run the gates on the seek-a-waiver drill (up through NHQ/DP) it was pointed out that no waiver was required for my members to wear religious headgear such as a hijab (muslim female), kippah (jewish male - yarmulke), or turban (sikh male), as long as they adhered to the guidance in the manual.

CAPM 39-1 26 JUNE 2014
6.3.1.6. Religious Apparel. Members may wear certain visible items of religious apparel
while in uniform. Religious apparel is defined as articles of clothing or dress that are part of the doctrine
or traditional observance of the religious faith practiced by the member. Hair and grooming practices are
not included in the meaning of religious apparel. Jewelry of a religious nature must conform to standards
set forth in this regulation for wear of non-religious jewelry. Head coverings must be plain dark blue or
black without adornment. In addition, they may be worn underneath military headgear if they do not
interfere with the proper fit or appearance of the headgear. For example, Jewish yarmulkes meet this
requirement if they do not exceed 6 inches in diameter.

So, my cadet in question at the time had already, believe it or not, sourced a BDU woodland camo pattern hijab, as well as an AF blue one, which she wore on alternating weeks depending on the uniform of the day!  We had to ask her to shelve the camo one, which she did wear on PT nights just for fun (she kidded that she needed to get a blaze orange one for nighttime PT safety). All was well, and I've since seen a couple of other cadets follow in her wake, locally.

Follow up:  she is now an active duty junior NCO, serving proudly. Also the two jewish brother cadets I mentioned years ago (who wore yarmulkes in uniform) are both cadets at Colorado Springs (USAFA). Presumably all three continue to correctly wear religious headgear while serving America.

So, on headgear, no drama, no waivers required, AF Blue or black only, and Press On!

On other religious accommodation issues, some further discussion may be required.  Say, if a hypothetical young sikh cadet states a need to wear Kesh (uncut hair), Kangha (a wooden comb for the hair), Kara (the iron bracelet), and carry a Kirpan (small dagger, generally a 3" meets the rule as I understand it), that's not explicit in 39-1 and may need some discussion/documentation.  This are long-documented religious principles from their faith, and have long been respected in the British military, who have long valued Sikh and Gurkha warriors as among the worlds best. My opinion - good on DoD for being smart enough to welcome the capability brought by honoring this diversity.

R/s
Spam
Very useful, thank you.

I need to just read 39-1 from beginning to end a couple times a year. If probably remember more of things like this if I did.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk