The Wisdom to know when

Started by DogCollar, December 20, 2007, 07:14:10 PM

DogCollar

Here is something that I haven't seen talked about much...so, thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm about to turn to 47 years old.  I figure that I might have 10-12 more years to be a truly active member, involved in squadron affairs and participating in missions of the organization.

I take some pride in the fact that I meet Air Force weight and grooming regulations for wearing the AF style uniform.  However, I don't want to ever become an embarrassment to the uniform or organization by appearing in an AF style uniform and looking, well ridiculous!

What I'm wondering is are there other considerations for maybe "retiring" the AF style uniforms besides weight and grooming?  Here's hoping that I have the wisdom to recognize when the time has come that my appearing in uniform might be a detriment to recruiting!!!

Now, before I get flamed, I have seen and met many active members in their 50's and 60's who could run circles around me NOW.  With my genetic make-up that involves a serious, chronic condition...I will undoubtedly appear to be much older than I really am (I have that issue now.)  Thoughts anyone?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

RiverAux

Are you saying that you think you'll just look too old to be in an AF-style uniform when you're about 60?  I wouldn't worry about that. 

Dragoon

The way I see it, if your age and appearance are a detriment to recruiting, that will occur no matter what uniform you wear, USAF or corporate.  I wouldn't worry about it.

But one thing you do want to do as you get older is make sure the uniform still fits.  I've seen some senior Senior Members who are either busting at the seams, or swimming in too much cloth.  If it fits, you'll look fine.

The worst that'll happen is someone will mistake you for a grizzled war veteran and offer to buy you lunch!

DogCollar

Well, I'm NOT a grizzled war veteran...and it would be a dishonor to those that are for me to be confused as one!  Actually, that's part of my concern!  The older I become, wearing a uniform, people might assume that I have experience that I do not.

I'm also thinking that if that should that become the case, it might be appropriate for me to switch exclusively to the dreaded golf shirt combo! 

Dragoon, with my aforementioned condition, there is a good chance that a uniform will hang off of me like a flag off of a flag pole!  (I have Crohn's Disease...which CAN cause significant wasting...and I'm not a big person to begin with).  There is also significant fatigue and loss of strenght that can go with the disease.  Granted, being a chaplain is not all that physically taxing, however, I would like to always be an asset rather than a liability.

Boy, I wonder if I am making any since?  Must be because, physically, I'm having a rather trying day!  Oh well...
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

jeders

Yes you are making since.

Things like this are completely a personal judgment call. If you honestly feel that your wearing of the AF uniforms is a detriment to the organization or the mission, then it is your choice to wear something else. But I personally wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're having pictures taken for publication or you're on TV in uniform, I don't think anyone is really gonna mind if you look old in uniform.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Dragoon

Quote from: DogCollar on December 20, 2007, 07:43:42 PM
Well, I'm NOT a grizzled war veteran...and it would be a dishonor to those that are for me to be confused as one!  Actually, that's part of my concern!  The older I become, wearing a uniform, people might assume that I have experience that I do not.

No different than them thinking you're a young war veteran now.  If that's the concern, don't wear USAF style uniforms ever. (but for the record, I was joking)

Dragoon, with my aforementioned condition, there is a good chance that a uniform will hang off of me like a flag off of a flag pole!  (I have Crohn's Disease...which CAN cause significant wasting...and I'm not a big person to begin with).  There is also significant fatigue and loss of strenght that can go with the disease.  Granted, being a chaplain is not all that physically taxing, however, I would like to always be an asset rather than a liability.

A tailor can make quite a difference.  Well fitting clothes always "make the man."  I've just seen too many guys who stop worrying about fit as they age.   Again, I wouldn't worry about it.  If you care enough to be concerned, you probably care enough to wear it well.

Say no to golf shirts!   :)  (of course, I'm wearing one as I type this - going flying tonight)

MSgt Van

Step 1 - Wear the uniform correctly. Sounds like you've got the self-discipline to take care of that. 
Step 2 - Be proud of the uniform. Your concern about your appearance would make me think you've got that covered as well. 

Don't worry about your looking too old - I'm going to be wearing my AF style uniform as long as I'm vertical.  Come to think of it, I'll be wearing it when I go horizontal as well.  I enjoy seeing CAP members wearing the AF style uniform with pride. That's what comes through even if you're not sporting the "fighter pilot" warrior body.

Regards,

Msgt Van

chiles

Boy, I wonder if I am making any since?  Must be because, physically, I'm having a rather trying day!  Oh well...

Sir, I'm a 27 year old with IBS and a few other conditions which I would be more than happy to commesurate with you through private messages. IBS is no Crohn's disease. As a nurse, I've treated patients with Chron's and I know the wasting your talking about. If you are active and within regulations, you owe it to everyone else out there, and the physicians that keep that bowel of yours running, to show that it is not going to stop you. Wear your uniform properly and with pride. If people assume things of you, that is on them. If they ask, tell them but otherwise, you earned it. You wear it.

If I can be of any help with nursing advice, feel free to message me and I will do what I can. Crohn's can be enough to make people throw in the towel from participating in an organizaiton at all. I'm impressed that you're only concern is looking good in the uniform! Truely an inspiration to your fellow Crohn's sufferer.

Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878