How Long Could We Hold Out?

Started by smj58501, December 08, 2007, 03:54:31 AM

In your opinion, how long could we hold out without starting a new uniform topic (if everyone tried their absolute hardest and applied themselves)?

A week
13 (24.5%)
Between a week and a month
2 (3.8%)
A month
4 (7.5%)
1 to 3 months
1 (1.9%)
3 months or more
2 (3.8%)
I thought they changed the name of the site to "CAP Wear"
31 (58.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: December 15, 2007, 03:54:31 AM

smj58501

Take this poll in the good natured spirit it is intended.... i.e. if you are a uniform nerd, don't get your CAP-issued undies in a bunch. This is for fun.

Once it times out, maybe we can try and put the results to a test...
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

thp

Tubacap

^^ careful what you wish for, there are squadrons that have these now that cafepress.com will put any logo on anything!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

thp

Monty

CAPTalk is the "Downtown with Julie Brown" for all things CAP fashion.

So long as it's taken in the light-hearted spirit as it's offered, there are only two places that initially come to mind where grown men are as obsessed about fashion as teenage girls sometimes are: Castro Street and CAPTalk.

;)

smj58501

Quote from: Active Monty on December 08, 2007, 04:19:13 AM
...... there are only two places that initially come to mind where grown men are as obsessed about fashion as teenage girls sometimes are: Castro Street and CAPTalk.

;)

One of the Top 10 Most Humorous Things Ever Said on CAPTalk
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Major Carrales

Impossible...the influx of new people each day and the preoccuspation with the subject will make it less than a day. 

The other day I needed some quick opinions on an operations matter and posted it up.  One reply or so in weeks, while a topic on service caps went on to its 5th page in less than 72 hours.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Stonewall

No way we can go longer than 1/2 a day without discussing uniforms...  It just can't happen.

Other than CAP Talk, maybe once in a blue moon on CadetStuff and the occasional uniform class at CAP, CAP uniforms don't even cross my mind.

The funny thing is, who cares?  Really.  I never jump into a discussion or read it if, after the first paragraph, I realize I'm not interested or I think it's irrelevant to me, I just go past it.  I think some of the folks who truly are disgusted or turned off by whatever topic, call it uniforms or whatever, are mad at themselves because they can't keep from reading it.  It's like a car accident, you have to stop and stare.

I was in the Old Guard in the Army.  Yes, the Army's ceremonial unit.  Was there for a total of 2 1/2 years.  It was my job to be anal and pay attention to every friggin detail, whether it be the press in my uniform, my collar brass or how my wall locker was set up.  But before that, I learned attention to detail as a cadet in 1987 at my first encampment.  CAP taught me to pay attention to detail, the Army just honed that skill.  Yep, uniforms are an interest of mine.  If they weren't I wouldn't have more than 200 patches in my very casual patch collection.  I don't seek out patches, but I take'em when I find'em.

I know this poll is in jest, and I don't take offense from it or anything on this site.  I love discussing important things and less than important things.  It's been great while I've been laid up from surgery.  I've laughed, learned and argued, but never once got my panties in a bunch.  Probably because I'm not....  8)

And PS...  While I may have argued with a handful of you and totally disagreed with something you've written, doesn't mean I wouldn't buy you a drink.  I got in a fist fight with one of my best friends, it happens.  Whether it be the EMT badge, coddling cadets, or CAP's goofy Ranger program, I still love you  :-*
Serving since 1987.

JCW0312

I was thinking "why is there no choice for '1 to 2 hours' on the poll" until I saw the last option. :D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Monty

Interestingly, I tend to reserve my assumptions, opinions, and experiences until I've checked the empirical data.  What's more, I always found it - well, curious - how my family and friends always said, "get your education" but once I did, didn't like the data I brought back.  "Glad you got your education; now leave that crap back there!"  LOL!

Sort of a reinforcer of "get the paper" vs. "get smart."

Let's hope you folks are of the latter persuasion.  :)

Over the course of 200+ years, there is - without question - a shift in terms of the rigidity associated with uniforms/badges/medals obsession.  Anybody can do a quick search to see that from the beginning of our nation's uniformed forces, there tended to be a disassociation between the ways of the "Old World" (rites, orders, knighthoods, etc.) in contrast to that which we see today (some services give medals for nothing more than for a service member's staying good for 3 of more years during times of peace).

What has changed?  Lots of stuff...but this is CAPTalk and I don't have the time or energy to even remotely try to list all the variables.  BUT....let's look at one possible heart of the matter....

Several working theories associated with materialism and its roots exist.  I figured it would be difficult to find much in terms of empirical data through psychINFO, but y'all outta see the pings I got!  I'm not sure how to host two "tip-of-the-iceberg" pdf documents, but they present some fascinating research, as well as extensive reference lists from which to cross-check.

Laymen's consolidation?  Seems that as each successive generation's focus has shifted to more acquisition and correlated status as a result of more acquisition, there is an underlying hunger to establish one's place as a result of one's increasing acquisitions.  Hypothetical case and point; society doesn't view the combat General with five ribbons to his name, driving a Ford POS, living in a van down by the river, as a "winner" - but society does think the office jockey "Peruvian Generalissimo" officer with a nice car, and a home in the Upstate, is the example to which we should strive.

Nothing terribly controversial about that, unless folks are just itching to argue.

What IS controversial are some of the theories behind what has driven the increasing desire to "keep up with the Joneses" by upping the ante in terms of obsession with material acquisition.  (Which if one thinks about it, such a phrase doesn't simply mean house for a bigger house, car for a nicer car.....it also implies CAP jackets for CAP leather jackets, flight caps for service caps, ribbons for more ribbons, yadda, yadda, yadda.)

Again, I'd share some possibilities that might explain some possible roots of materialism and some folks obsession with talk about materialistic items like clothes, badges, and uniforms - again, if I had a means to host pdf files.

(I'm not terribly convinced, however, that most folks even want to consider why things might happen as they do - after all, it's a lot more comfy to reject certain things we feel, in order to preserve our own habits....especially if we like our habits and think we have a well-enough reason to preserve 'em, such as the trite, worn-out defense of "tradition.")

Just using a little critical analysis in these matters; the results of which have been funded by your tax dollars in sending my happy veteran butt back to school (thanks, V.A.)!  Glutton for punishment I am, given that this is my second time through college so, I'm doing as much as I can with these bennies!  :)

smj58501

^^ WAY too serious a post for this discussion  ;)
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

JCW0312

Quote from: smj58501 on December 08, 2007, 06:29:40 PM

I agree. My head hurts now. :'(
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 09, 2007, 01:33:03 AM

Oh no... not Excedrin Headache Number .357!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

smj58501

OK sportsfans, looks like the (quantifiable) winner is one week, i.e. thats the longest we think we can go without starting a NEW thread on uniforms. Now, starting Monday, lets see if that is possible.

Good luck! Your country is counting on you!
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 09, 2007, 01:50:18 AM
Quote from: JCW0312 on December 09, 2007, 01:33:03 AM

Oh no... not Excedrin Headache Number .357!  ;D

Didja ever have one of those itches on the roof of your mouth ... the kind that can only be scratched with a gun barrel ... ?   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Pylon

Quote from: Active Monty on December 08, 2007, 04:40:21 PM
I'm not sure how to host two "tip-of-the-iceberg" pdf documents, but they present some fascinating research, as well as extensive reference lists from which to cross-check.

Monty, when you compose your post, just click the "Additional Options..." link below the textbox.  You can attach the PDFs to you post right there.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

smj58501

Well, we didn't even come close to a week. New topics since the challenge was laid out:

Attaching Patches to Leather Jacket 

What was this Uniform?

Source for leather name tags 

We didn't even make it half a week, let alone a full one.  :-[ :-\ Way to go team!  ;)

Seriously, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

SarDragon

I gotta say, though, that the three you mentioned were about specific items, and not the usual mindless A versus B urinating competitions. Qs were asked and answered.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

smj58501

Thats a very good point... I never looked at it that way. We can still save Christmas on a technicallity, but save it all the same. Thank goodness for the review booth. We'll consider the named topics as a "no count" since they were clarifications, as long as they don't spin out of control into the swordfights you mention.

Game (Back) On
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

dwb

"the amount of debate on an issue is inversely proportional to the issue's actual importance" -- Alex Martelli