Are uniforms really controversial?

Started by RiverAux, December 07, 2007, 10:20:03 PM

How much havoc, controversey, trouble, whining, and complaining do uniforms actually cause in YOUR unit?

Not controversial at all.  Hardly ever mentioned.
31 (42.5%)
Every once in a while someone complains about something
33 (45.2%)
People complain about uniforms pretty regularly
5 (6.8%)
Uniforms are constantly causing problems and are a major issue in the unit
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

davedove

Quote from: CAP_truth on December 08, 2007, 01:50:00 AM
My opinion is that the golf or polo shirts are not uniforms and should not be worn at missions or meeting.

Well then, according to the uniform manual, your opinion is wrong.  The golf shirt combination IS a uniform.  There is still a way to wear it properly, of course.

Now, I believe what you meant to say is that you don't think that combo SHOULD BE a uniform.  That is a perfectly valid opinion.

David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ddelaney103

I think a lot of our problem is our idea of uniform isn't, well, uniform.

I see the military model at war with a FD/EMS model.  We're trying to do military with an EMS mindset (and pocketbook).

One solution that worked for our unit was to give a few options on uniforms and concentrate on work uniforms.  We found that having all the SM's in either the BBDU or blue jumpsuit, with a few blue nomex flightsuits, provided a very uniform appearance.  We also designed a sqdn patch, which could be worn on either suit and provided another layer of unit cohesion.

However, there was some initial heartburn about some members getting additional uniforms.  Fortunately, the new uniform didn't have to be expensive and the urge to be "part of the team" won over most of the holdouts.

Uniforms, in the end, are just another tool to aid the mission - it shouldn't be an end in itself.

Walkman

Our cadet leadership is doing a good job with regular uniform inspections. One thing I think they do well is the "teaching" approach they take as opposed to a Gunny Hartman model. Our new cadets are usually very squared away and sharp looking after a couple of meetings.

Dustoff

Quote from: sargrunt on December 08, 2007, 10:24:44 PM
I'm with Stonewall.  Putting a uniform on correctly is not all that difficult.  Taking it to a tailor shop to get the patches put on is really a no brainer.  The only problem with this is that where I live there is no military base around.  It takes a little while to explain to the tailor exactly how it should look because most of the tailors here are ESL types.

Here's a trick that was taught to me (after 16 years of service - ya think someone would have told me sooner......)   :D

Just photocopy/print a copy of the appropriate page out of 39-1 (for you - AFI 36-2903 for me) and take that with you to the civilian tailor.  Makes a BIG difference.

Jim
Jim

SJFedor

Quote from: Walkman on December 10, 2007, 09:05:15 PM
Our cadet leadership is doing a good job with regular uniform inspections. One thing I think they do well is the "teaching" approach they take as opposed to a Gunny Hartman model. Our new cadets are usually very squared away and sharp looking after a couple of meetings.

As it should be done. Cadets learn nothing by being yelled at. I know when I was a kid (yeah, such a long time ago) as soon as my parents or anyone else in an authority position started yelling, I stopped paying attention. Inspections with constructive criticism instead of "That looks like crap, and that's wrong, and that's wrong" goes a long way to correct the issues.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Dustoff on December 11, 2007, 04:44:02 AM
I'm with Stonewall.  Putting a uniform on correctly is not all that difficult.  Taking it to a tailor shop to get the patches put on is really a no brainer.  The only problem with this is that where I live there is no military base around.  It takes a little while to explain to the tailor exactly how it should look because most of the tailors here are ESL types.

Here's a trick that was taught to me (after 16 years of service - ya think someone would have told me sooner......)   :D

Just photocopy/print a copy of the appropriate page out of 39-1 (for you - AFI 36-2903 for me) and take that with you to the civilian tailor.  Makes a BIG difference.

Jim

My friend took his service coat to a local alterations shop with the page out of 39-1 on how to put the braid on the sleeve.  The alteration shop lost it and called the local AF recruiter to ask how to put it on.  The recruiter thought she was talking about a shoulder cord and sewed the braid around the shoulder seam...  ::)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 11, 2007, 01:18:27 PM
Quote from: Dustoff on December 11, 2007, 04:44:02 AM

Jim

My friend took his service coat to a local alterations shop with the page out of 39-1 on how to put the braid on the sleeve.  The alteration shop lost it and called the local AF recruiter to ask how to put it on.  The recruiter thought she was talking about a shoulder cord and sewed the braid around the shoulder seam...  ::)

Sounds like a military to civilian disconnect.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."