Common Uniform Infractions?

Started by Snake Doctor, November 29, 2007, 07:55:51 PM

Snake Doctor

Ok everyone, I'm working on a list for my Group Newsletter.

Please help.

Thanks.
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

arajca

Ribbons: wrong order and backwards. Ribbons aren't worn in the order in which you earn them, they are worn in the order listed in CAPM 39-1. (ALL)

Blue grade slides on AF shirt (sm's).

Wrong flight cap - cadets, incl cadet officers, wear the AF enlisted cap with the blue braid, not the officer cap. Senior members (2d Lt and up) wear the AF officer flight cap w/ silver checked braid, not solid silver braid.

Dragoon

1.  Civilian Outerwear with USAF uniforms

2.  Grade alignment on collar (parallel to outside edge vs perpendicular to front edge)

3.  Unauthorized Army/Navy badges on USAF uniforms.

4.  Any military badges/ribbons on corporate uniforms

5.  BDU style pants with golf shirt

6.  Wearing the right nametag (there are so many!) with the right shirt.

All the stuff arajca said.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dragoon on November 29, 2007, 08:06:44 PM
5.  BDU style pants with golf shirt

Are you referring to actual camo BDU pants, or gray pants with cargo pockets.

'Cause if they are gray cotton twill with cargo pockets, they are fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Stonewall

Just do a Google Image search for "Civil Air Patrol" and you'll see hundreds of CAP photos.  Many of them will be members wearing their uniforms incorrectly.  Take your pick.  That, or visit squadron websites that have a gallery, you'll find many infractions there as well.

One time, for a uniform class I taught at either SLS or CLC, I did a google search and surfed through many squadron websites and used 50 pictures on a powerpoint presentation showing uniform infractions; it was that easy.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

There are still some older threads on Cadetstuff which contain the most common ones, including photos.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dragoon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2007, 08:48:16 PM

Admittedly cargo pockets aren't specifically excluded.  However, can you point me at cotton twill grey BDUs?  All I've found are poly/cotton, which would not be authorized.  (Yup, I know that's splitting hairs, but so is wearing field pants with a uniform that is specified in 39-1 as the equivalent of short sleeve service dress).

Eclipse

Quote from: Dragoon on November 29, 2007, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2007, 08:48:16 PM

Admittedly cargo pockets aren't specifically excluded.  However, can you point me at cotton twill grey BDUs?  All I've found are poly/cotton, which would not be authorized.  (Yup, I know that's splitting hairs, but so is wearing field pants with a uniform that is specified in 39-1 as the equivalent of short sleeve service dress).

I've actually seen members wearing bloused >DRESS PANTS<  ::) with their golf shirt - and this wasn't even in a field environment.

But cotton twill cargos are pretty common, and I've even seen some members with  wool-blend trousers that have cargo pockets.

What I'm referring to would be similar to this:

These would be compliant as they are 100% cotton, however, I don't see any reason why a poly/cotton tactical pant would not be acceptable, "twill" is simply the reference to a weave pattern.   I don't see anything in the regs which dictate the actual material as being 100% cotton.

And I also don't see the golf shirt being analogous to corporate service dress - that's the aviator whites.  The golf shirt is a casual work uniform, and as been point out on other threads, the (relatively recent) change to the pant reg makes it a pretty good field uniform, especially for base ops.

"That Others May Zoom"

Camas

Wearing crew neck T-shirts with short sleeve AF service uniform.  Should be V-neck or something similar.

isuhawkeye

Just so everyone is on the same page here is a definition of Twill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twill

I think many of the grey slacks worn with corporate uniforms wont be twill

JayT

Crew neck shirts with short sleeve shirt.
Unauthorized tee shirts under BDU shirt.
Calling a hat/cap a 'cover'
Calling the BDU shirt/jacket a 'blouse'
Not knowing order of ribbons
Golf shirt with woodland BDU pants.
White aviators shirt with blue pants with gray rank and nameplate.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Stonewall

Quote from: JThemann on November 29, 2007, 11:58:10 PM

That's not a uniform infraction, that's called using a different term to describe something.

On the label of said uniform item, it's called a "Coat".

Dictionary.com says this about a "blouse"..

2. a single-breasted, semifitted military jacket. 
Serving since 1987.

stillamarine

Quote from: Stonewall on November 30, 2007, 12:17:08 AM

That's not a uniform infraction, that's called using a different term to describe something.

On the label of said uniform item, it's called a "Coat".

Dictionary.com says this about a "blouse"..

2. a single-breasted, semifitted military jacket. 

Exactly, Take someone that called it that for 10-20 years in the Marine Corps and it's a hard habit to break....heck I don't call it a hat at work! I even catch myself calling my ball caps covers. It's a habit.

One that I've been trying to break lately is the whole BDUs thing. In the Marine Corps we either called them Utes (Utilities) or Cammies. Gotta keep it simple for us Jarheads!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

MIKE

Model Rocketry patch worn on the wrong (left) pocket.

Organizational/Unit patch worn on right sleeve of flight suit/jacket and utility uniform.

Incorrect or unauthorized ASNP.

M-65 Field Jackets worn sans insignia.

Usually younger male seniors who need to trim their sideburns. i.e former cadets.

SMs without grade wearing officer flight caps, plain gray epaulet sleeves and sleeve braid.

Females with hair management issues.

Overweight members wearing AF style uniforms.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Members not reading the uniform manual.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Crew neck shirts with short sleeve shirt.

I can so.

Just have to be wearing a tie, so it doesn't show. . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: isuhawkeye on November 29, 2007, 11:49:23 PM
I think many of the grey slacks worn with corporate uniforms wont be twill

They don't >have< to be cotton twill, but they can be - they can also be the same pants worn with the aviator whites, which is what most members do.

The cotton twill just basically gives us the Dockers option.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on November 30, 2007, 12:59:02 AM
Model Rocketry patch worn on the wrong (left) pocket.

Organizational/Unit patch worn on right sleeve of flight suit/jacket and utility uniform.

Incorrect or unauthorized ASNP.

M-65 Field Jackets worn sans insignia.

Usually younger male seniors who need to trim their sideburns. i.e former cadets.

SMs without grade wearing officer flight caps, plain gray epaulet sleeves and sleeve braid.

Females with hair management issues.

Overweight members wearing AF style uniforms.

I'll concede most of that list. However, the issue of unit insignia on flightsuits needs to be clarified.

Presently, it says that the right shoulder of green flightsuits is for an "optional shoulder patch", and says "Member may choose one of the authorized patches for the right shoulder, may be wing, region or National shoulder patch." You have to do some digging as what the authorized patches are.

As far as flightsuits go, I would align with Air Force practice, and go with unit on right shoulder, and optional patches on the left, with a reference as to the table which actually shows what the optional patches are. Right now, the only way to know which table to look into is to find the page on the blue corporate flightsuit.

Also, the entire writeup on green flightsuits needs to be cleaned up. Besides the optional patch issue, there is also the issue of the ES patch on the green flightsuit. Presently, it says it may be worn in the same position as the command patch. For the blue flightsuit, it says may be worn on the pocket.

Had the argument with my commander that he should wear it on the pocket of the green suit, but he told me that it said on "the right breast", the same as the command patch. The thing is he's right. It may not be in the intended spirit, but he is following the letter of the manual.

Another disparity: blue flightsuit may have a region patch in place of the command patch. Neither the jumpsuit or sage suit have this option. It's one more thing that's less uniform. Region patches are organizational insignia. There is no reason a region staff member shouldn't wear their unit insignia the same place as everyone else.

Another thing I keep seeing nowadays that is seriuosly wrong is people wearing the flag on the right shoulder of the flightsuit, and putting wing patches on the left.

Eclipse

some of the above shoudl get added to Lt. Col. White's uniform committee thread, they are valid issues with current regs and guidelines.

With regards to the right shoulder, many wings have also authorized unit insignia as well.

"That Others May Zoom"