What is the process of the Cadet Cadre selection process?

Started by Picy3, September 22, 2018, 11:04:31 PM

Picy3

Greetings,

I was just wondering (for those who have been selected as Cadet Cadre in the past) how the process goes after submitting a Resume/Cover letter to the encampment people? I have signed up for winter encampment Cadre position(s) and was just wondering how I could better prepare myself or if I could get some info on what I could be asked or just how it will go from here. I'm normally not that good with interviews so ways I could better prepare myself would be greatly appreciated (its mainly the asking of questions I had not thought of that gets me stuck).

Thanks,
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

TheSkyHornet

The process of the process is as such...

Each Encampment is going to be different. It really depends on who's running the show that year.

Applications may go anywhere from a resume to an essay (such as our Wing's required) to an electronic sign-up form. Interview may be casual discussions with the command staff, or a formal review board-style interview with the senior member mentor and cadet officer-in-charge of that function.

Our Wing generally has you put in for three roles in order of preference.

Picy3

(Yeah I realize how bad the title was written..  :-X)

So for me as a cadet who lives pretty far away (4 hours, so I just mean meeting in person would be less than efficient), I assume I will be doing interviews over the phone?
As for us, this encampment had us send a cover letter and resume and do an online sign up page (which let you put the three roles you want in order of preference like you said).

I meant more like the process of them choosing the Cadet Cadre, what they focused on asking you, was it decided pretty fast or was there multiple things you had to do and the such. The process after applying.

Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

Eclipse

The only people who could answer that are the staff of this year's activity, and possibly
cadets who have been through it (at this activity, for the roles you are seeking) - maybe seek them out and ask.

A key factor is attention to detail and following >all< the steps of the process indicated.

Just like in the real world, many times the steps are intended to weed out Level-1 people who
don't pay attention to details or seek special exceptions.

Some wings have a plethora of properly experienced cadets who want to serve at encampments,
others have limited choices.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Picy3 on September 23, 2018, 10:49:16 PM
(Yeah I realize how bad the title was written..  :-X)

So for me as a cadet who lives pretty far away (4 hours, so I just mean meeting in person would be less than efficient), I assume I will be doing interviews over the phone?
As for us, this encampment had us send a cover letter and resume and do an online sign up page (which let you put the three roles you want in order of preference like you said).

I meant more like the process of them choosing the Cadet Cadre, what they focused on asking you, was it decided pretty fast or was there multiple things you had to do and the such. The process after applying.

Our interviews are conducted in-person over a Saturday or Sunday (all-day event...usually 0800-1500-ish). The selection process includes drill tests, written testing, uniform inspections, practical exercises, and face-to-face interviews. Before even showing up that day, cadets submit a CAP resume and cover letter/essay of intent.

Last Encampment, Cadet Officer selections were held several weeks prior to Cadet NCO selections. There were three staff training weekends that followed before T Day-1 Staff Arrival at Encampment.

It's understand that not everyone can be there in person to interview. So your phone interview better go very well. There may even be multiple phone interviews. But be prepared to establish the image that you might be someone they bite their fingernails over if you give an indication of possibly not showing up. There were several cadets I saw at Encampment that had never been to a single staff training day despite having been an in-state selection since the start of the process; and it hurts people's confidence in that person.

Remember:
Encampment is not just about you staffing an activity. It's everything that goes along with staffing and all of the pre-work involved until Day 0. You're supposed to learn what it takes to plan and execute these activities, and all of the coordination that goes into it. It's a great opportunity. But it's work.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 24, 2018, 03:06:26 PMRemember:
Encampment is not just about you staffing an activity. It's everything that goes along with staffing and all of the pre-work involved until Day 0. You're supposed to learn what it takes to plan and execute these activities, and all of the coordination that goes into it. It's a great opportunity. But it's work.

+1

As a Flight Sergeant you might not be exposed to all the machinery, but should certainly see all the parts,
and have several assignments before the activity (we have the cadre do call-downs the week before to
introduce themselves to their flights and make sure the students will have what they need).

The further up the chain you move, the more you'll see and have to do.  Encampments take 5-6+ months to plan,
and while logistics can sometimes get in the way of in-face meetings and training, you should probably expect weekly
curriculum and planning calls, not to mention plenty of "homework".

A good encampment is essentially "done" before Day 0 - there's always places thins change, resources are not available,
or other reasons to adapt, but if the cadre is having planning meetings at midnight, not only are they violating
the encampment guidelines, but they also didn't do the proper planning before arriving.

"That Others May Zoom"