Belonging to two squadrons and splitting time evenly?

Started by jfkspotting, July 23, 2018, 11:52:18 AM

jfkspotting

If I go to two meetings in both, can a cadet belong to two squadrons? I have two that are if equal distence and one of them needs leadership. I'm a second stage CSMGT.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

jeders

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 23, 2018, 11:52:18 AM
If I go to two meetings in both, can a cadet belong to two squadrons? I have two that are if equal distence and one of them needs leadership.

Getting back to the actual question instead of the tangent...

You can only "belong" (be administratively assigned) to one unit at a time. However, it may be possible to serve in both squadrons; assuming that the respective commanders are ok with it. That said, if you are roughly equidistant between the two it might be worth transferring from your current squadron to the squadron that "needs leadership" (I'm assuming the one that needs leadership is not your current squadron). This allows you to focus on the issues of that squadron and be responsible to that squadron; and if you have time you can still participate as a visitor at your original squadron.

Then, in 6-12 months, after the leadership gap has been filled/fixed, you can transfer back to your original squadron if you so desire.

And because I can't resist a tangent; you're either a chief or you're not; there's no second stage/upper half/whatever to C/CMSgt.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Unless your current squadron is just overflowing with "extra" cadets, I would imagine
your CC wouldn't be too excited about giving you away just to provide some variety to
your CAP diet.

Your unit of record will be the one that is responsible for all your promotions, activity approvals,
etc., etc., and you being away will break that continuity, not to mention the continuity your
subordinate cadets need in their training and mentoring.

It's one thing to occasionally participate with other units on weekend activities, o-ride days,
open houses, etc., but another to try and split time.

Your best bet is to pick a unit a stay there.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

It's nice of you to offer up your leadership, but perhaps that really isn't your place.

CAP_truth

You know what Sergeant Hulka is going to do with his big toe.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Slim

Two experiences here, neither of them very positive.
The very week my current cadet commander was appointed (a little over a year ago), that cadet was also approached by a unit that was in the process of rechartering, and needed experienced phase III and IV cadets to help get their program up and running.  My predecessor as uint commander agreed to loaning the cadet to the other unit.  No problem, we meet on Tuesdays, they meet on Wednesdays, easy peasy, no conflicts, right?  Not so much.  For about six months, my cadet was so focused on getting the other squadron up and running, and scheduling their meetings, that duties at my unit began to suffer, drastically.  It was on;y at the threat of withdrawing approval to assist the other unit, and withholding a promotion until such time as performance met my standards for a cadet about to promote to C/Capt, did things turn around.  The end result was the cadet struggling to maintain command at both units, while balancing college and a part-time job.  That situation has prety much resolved itself, as I understand the other unit has a new cadet commander now.
I was approached by one of my senior members (a former cadet) who was wanting to help out at her former cadet unit, as that unit was struggling with recruiting/retaining cadets, and also had a very poor turn-out on the senior side, jeopardizing the two-deep rule.  No problem, they meet on Thursdays, the member is basically doing the same job at both units, things were working out.  Until January-February.  Other unit got a new commander, who's first actions with the unit included changing meetings to Tuesdays.  Member comes up with a workable solution: alternate weeks; my unit this week, the other next.  I can count the number of meetings the member has attended at my unit on one hand, and one of those was a joint meeting between both units, so I don't count that one.
Moral of the story, when you try to serve two masters, one of them will suffer.  Just make sure the one that suffers isn't the one who gets to decide if you get promoted, or go to an activity, or has to sign your 2B or suspended membership paperwork.  And no, I've never threatened either of the latter to either one of my shared members.  OTOH, I won't allow any other members to do this.

Slim

TheSkyHornet

Similar to the above, I've been on the receiving end and the "giving end."

I used to help out with another unit on Tuesdays when our unit met on Sundays. It was actually a much better schedule for me. The Cadet Programs staff and I became pretty good friends. I didn't have an official role, but they needed some extra eyes on their cadets and didn't have the staff to accommodate their CDC and A/CDC being dragged into review boards with the cadets unsupervised during drill and whatnot. We were spending a lot of time on the side trying to rebuild a struggling program, but their CDC also struggled to stay involved with work ramping up and some personal matters. I made it clear that I had no role and was not going to have a role. When the CDC stepped down, I recused myself from further participating, even though I was asked to stay on and help (even though I was never "on." To me, it was crossing the line. A few of their members actually ended up transferring to our unit, and it resulted in some bad blood.

On the opposing side, I had a cadet who had a tough time perform their work at the unit because they were so involved in other CAP activities. Our Commander made it a point that performance at the unit had to be maintained, and that you cannot just participate at the Wing or Region level to "stay active." It resulted in some pretty nasty counseling sessions, but we, luckily, had the parents on board in agreement that the cadet was just doing too much and taking on more responsibilities than they could handle [i.e., doing everything but excelling at nothing]. The cadet informed me that they had a project from Wing HQ that they were working on, which was a surprise for us since it's been our policy that you at least notify the Commander any time you're going to be involved outside of the unit. I spoke with Wing on the matter, informally, and the project officer said he would pull the project if we were uncomfortable with it. I said that it wasn't my call, and if that's the project that was assigned, hold the cadet accountable for its output.

You see this a lot in senior members more than cadets. A lot of seniors perform really well at their home unit, and a lot perform really well at higher echelons (ES, projects, Wing staff, etc.). Not everyone can balance the workload inside and outside of the unit because the focuses are so different, as are the outcomes, and lines of authority.

At the cadet level, especially as a senior cadet NCO, I don't think you have the experience to "build" a struggle unit from the ashes. That's a really nasty area to get into at that point in your progression. I would highly advise against it, especially because it's not advisable to most senior members; it certainly wouldn't be advisable to a cadet. If you want to help build up the unit, transfer. Otherwise, that's not your role. You're going to be doing double the work, and not paying attention where you need to be in both units.