Plastic racks or metal?

Started by I_Am_Twigs, March 16, 2018, 06:50:27 PM

I_Am_Twigs

I've been thinking about switching to a plastic ribbon rack for my class A's so my ribbons hold closer to the uniform. And then keeping my metal rack for the class B's so they stay flatter on the shirt. But many people say that the plastic ones tend to break easily, is this true? I'd like the hear your guys' opinion or experiences with them.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

I have always preferred plastic for both, they are lighter and lay flatter.

I've never broken one, but I have sliced a ribbon with the metal ones.

As a cadet you won't be using the same rack for more then a few months,
while as a senior I've had the same one(s) for years at a time.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

I have used plastic ribbon racks for almost 20 years and i might have broken 1 or 2 in that time.  If want the ribbons, badges, name tag, etc to stay flat against your shirt then put cardboard behind them (inside the shirt).

The plastic ribbon racks will break if you try to treat them like they are metal.  if you remember that they are plastic and treat them like they could break then you should be fine.

Eclipse

The one up side to metal is if it gets bent, you can usually bend it back,
but then again you can glue plastic in a pinch, so there you go.

Something behind the rack is a good idea, but here's a protip...

Find someone with a laminator and laminate a heavier-stock pouch say 7 Mil.
with nothing in it, which then provides you with a nice, transparent backing to hold everything
in place, and you won't see the Amazon logo through your shirt (BTDT).

If you're going to use cardboard, make sure it's white or light colored from a clothing box or similar.

That or use enforcers:
https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/civil-air-patrol-insignia/enforcers

"That Others May Zoom"

I_Am_Twigs

I've heard that the enforcers almost never are the right size so I've never used them. I do however use cardboard and I use just a normal box (not white or anything) cut to the same size as the rack, with the ribbons covering the cardboard you usually don't need to worry about the color of the cardboard. And fortunately my chest is the right shape so the shirt sticks to the rack and still looks natural, I was just wanting the ribbons to seem closer to the service jacket and not pop out as much as the metal rack makes it.

Also I recommend putting some thin cardboard behind your ribbon rack on the service jacket, I had this problem with my ribbons sticking out and making it so there was a gap between the very edge of the rack and my uniform.

My squadron has a rack trade in deal so I don't have to worry to much about finding the metal racks. But for the plastic racks I'd have to order those mostly for winter (When I actually wear class A's every meeting).
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

arajca

Enforcers are oversized so you can trim them to fit. They cut easily with a pair of scissors.

kwe1009

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on March 16, 2018, 07:54:15 PM
I've heard that the enforcers almost never are the right size so I've never used them. I do however use cardboard and I use just a normal box (not white or anything) cut to the same size as the rack, with the ribbons covering the cardboard you usually don't need to worry about the color of the cardboard. And fortunately my chest is the right shape so the shirt sticks to the rack and still looks natural, I was just wanting the ribbons to seem closer to the service jacket and not pop out as much as the metal rack makes it.

Also I recommend putting some thin cardboard behind your ribbon rack on the service jacket, I had this problem with my ribbons sticking out and making it so there was a gap between the very edge of the rack and my uniform.

My squadron has a rack trade in deal so I don't have to worry to much about finding the metal racks. But for the plastic racks I'd have to order those mostly for winter (When I actually wear class A's every meeting).

I do want to applaud you on wanting to look your best in uniform.  That is a good trait to have.  I would recommend that you take a look at the signature on your posts.  "Air" and "Patrol" should also be capitalized and there is no duty title called "1st sgt"  it is "First Sergeant" or "First Sgt". 

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 16, 2018, 09:51:22 PM
Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on March 16, 2018, 07:54:15 PM

I do want to applaud you on wanting to look your best in uniform.  That is a good trait to have.  I would recommend that you take a look at the signature on your posts.  "Air" and "Patrol" should also be capitalized and there is no duty title called "1st sgt"  it is "First Sergeant" or "First Sgt".

Thanks for pointing those out, they're fixed now  ;)
C/Maj, CAP

Shawn W.

Having used both the metal and the plastic ribbon racks, I have to say that I favor the plastic ones. My first couple of years in CAP I used metal ones because thats what was available to me through my Squadron. I dislike the metal ones primarily because they seem a little more prone to getting bent up and once they do, it is next to impossible to get it bent back into a position where your ribbons sit neatly. I have been buying the plastic ones now for almost 20 years and have never once had one break. The most annoying issue that I have ever had with the plastic is that once in a while the ribbons on the ends would slide off. Easy fixed though just by simply pinching the backside of the ribbon a little, thus tightening the hold on the ribbon rack.

SarDragon

Get what works best for you. It's really a matter of personal preference. I have used metal racks, backed with stiff white plastic, my entire 40+ years in CAP, and 20+ years in the Navy. One of the trick I use to keep from slicing up ribbons is to use a small fine file on the corners and edges to dull the sharp edges. An emery nail file will work in a pinch. Bent areas are easily fixed with a small pair of pliers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret