I was checking out the BDUs on Vanguard...

Started by Stonewall, November 22, 2011, 01:39:31 AM

Stonewall

In my very long service in the military, I've known BDUs to be sized as chest and length, i.e. Medium/Long.  On Vanguard's website, they only offer "Medium".

Are these US Government issue BDUs?  Or are the commercially made?

I've gone down a size and need Medium/Long, but I don't want to buy imitation BDUs.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Any surplus store should have new sets that are real. Just make sure that the manufactures are American Apparel, DJ Manufactoring Corps., Propper, Golden Manufactoring, Tennesse Apparel, Unicor, etc. Not Rothco, not Tru-Spec, not anything else. Make sure it has an NSN (the 13 digit code that is seperated like so: 0000-00-000-0000).

a2capt

Call 'em up.. but the last several times I looked at what they had at conferences, they were Propper.

SARDOC

^^^I actually haven't had problems with Tru Spec products.  I have however found Propper products cheap and flimsy.  Maybe it depends on the lot.  I used to have Black BDU's at work and Propper just didn't cut it...Tru Spec worked out just great.

Salty

CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on November 22, 2011, 02:31:53 AM
Any surplus store should have new sets that are real. Just make sure that the manufactures are American Apparel, DJ Manufactoring Corps., Propper, Golden Manufactoring, Tennesse Apparel, Unicor, etc. Not Rothco, not Tru-Spec, not anything else. Make sure it has an NSN (the 13 digit code that is seperated like so: 0000-00-000-0000).

An NSN tag means little. The fakes, complete with tags, abound.

You also need to keep in mind who your audience is here. Many of us have served, or are currently serving, and have direct experience with the military supply system.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SARDOC on November 22, 2011, 02:41:40 AM
^^^I actually haven't had problems with Tru Spec products.  I have however found Propper products cheap and flimsy.  Maybe it depends on the lot.  I used to have Black BDU's at work and Propper just didn't cut it...Tru Spec worked out just great.

Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience. :o
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

titanII

FWIW, I have a Tru-Spec boonie that has always treated me well, but I've never had anything from Propper. Clearly, YMMV. But I can support the claim to stay away from Rothco. I haven't had good luck with any of their gear. Although they do make a comfortable t-shirt...  :D
No longer active on CAP talk

SARDOC

^^^Agreed...Stay away from Rothco.  Vanguard sells a Rothco jumpsuit as the CAP utility Uniform.  It's absolute garbage.  It's thread bare you can see daylight through both layers.

Matt Moon

Hawk200