Booster club -- for an encampment?

Started by mroberts5102, November 20, 2016, 06:15:35 PM

mroberts5102

Hey all,

Been looking to start a booster fundraising club for my state's encampment, hopefully to lower tuition costs for low-income cadets.

I did my research in CAPR 173-4, and the booster club idea seems very targeted towards local units, and nothing else. Is this a rule, or just the most common practice? Would a booster club for an encampment be allowed?

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R173_004_3C78BD19C872E.pdf

RogueLeader

So long as the same basic tenements are followed, I don't see an issue with it.  I would ask the Wing Commander as to his/her thoughts though, to be on the safe side.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spaceman3750

Quote from: mroberts5102 on November 20, 2016, 06:15:35 PM
Hey all,

Been looking to start a booster fundraising club for my state's encampment, hopefully to lower tuition costs for low-income cadets.

I did my research in CAPR 173-4, and the booster club idea seems very targeted towards local units, and nothing else. Is this a rule, or just the most common practice? Would a booster club for an encampment be allowed?

Low income cadets are already eligible for financial aid through CEAP. Seems like a lot of work to duplicate what the AF has already done.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 20, 2016, 06:52:22 PM
Low income cadets are already eligible for financial aid through CEAP. Seems like a lot of work to duplicate what the AF has already done.

+1 Booster clubs in general are a mine field most experienced members won't go near, one for an encampment seems doubly so,
and in the current climate probably not necessary.

And when you say "been looking to start" is this based on a specific need identified by the Wing or Encampment Commander, or
just a "good idea"?

"That Others May Zoom"

stitchmom

If they are receiving CEAP what about using raised funds for T shirts,  shorts, black socks, hydration backpacks, bug spray, sunscreen, laundry bags,  and travel size toiletries. Good Luck I hope it's a huge success. :clap:

Damron

Quote from: mroberts5102 on November 20, 2016, 06:15:35 PM
Hey all,

You don't need a booster club to provide financial assistance to cadets.  Get approval for your fundraising effort, deposit the proceeds, fund the NCSA's in some reasonable manner.  My squadron is going to fund NESA attendance by seniors and cadets.  No booster club necessary. 

The only reasons I see for a booster club is if you want to engage in fundraising activities that CAP units are prohibited from engaging in or if you are afraid that your wing will steal the proceeds of your fundraising efforts.