Take a look at the online cadet apps if you haven't yet.

Started by Майор Хаткевич, January 16, 2015, 04:47:23 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Saw some interesting things that are GREAT in terms of "what we expect of you and your cadet":

Haven't had a chance to look at it myself yet (only seen bits and pieces).
Some interesting things that cadets need to commit to:
As you apply for membership in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Corps, please tell us you're serious about being a cadet by reading the statements below and checking the checkboxes to indicate that you agree.

• I want to be a CAP cadet. I think CAP's for me, and I'm willing to give it a try for one full year. 
  • I'll participate in most weekly squadron meetings and will try to attend one 'Saturday' event per month. 
  • I plan to attend the next 1-week, overnight summer encampment available in my state. 
  • Most encampments are 1-week in duration and take place in the summer or during winter vacation. Tuition averages $200 - $300. Local leaders will tell you more about the encampment opportunities in your area.
  • If family or school obligations come up, I'll let my local leaders know in advance that I'll be absent from CAP. 
  • I have been assigned a mentor, an experienced cadet who is my #1 source for information on how to succeed in CAP. Or, if I haven't been assigned one, I'm going to ask for one at my next meeting. 
  • I understand that what I get out of CAP depends on what I put into it.
As a symbol of my readiness to enter the CAP Cadet Program, I make the following pledge:
THE CADET OATH
I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program,and that I will attend meetings regularly,participate actively in unit activities,obey my officers,wear my uniform properly,and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state and nation.

Parents need to commit to:

Parent's or Guardian's Authorization

• I approve my child's membership application for the Civil Air Patrol. 
  • I have personally met with the local CAP leaders and received a basic introduction to CAP. I know that CAP policies are available to me through the CAP website, especially the parents' home page, capmembers.com/parents. If I have not yet personally met with the local CAP leaders, I understand that this application will remain on-hold until I do so. 
  • I understand my child may be flying in CAP aircraft and participating in vigorous outdoor activities, under the supervision of CAP adult leaders. 
  • I understand that by joining CAP, my child is expected to participate in CAP for a minimum of 1 year. He or she will attend weekly meetings at our local squadron and one special 'Saturday' event per month, on average, but of course school and family obligations take priority over CAP. If we can't participate in an activity, we'll try to let the local leaders know in advance. 
  • I understand that my child is tentatively scheduled to attend the next cadet encampment, which is typically a 7-day, overnight activity conducted in the summer or during school vacation. I will make an effort to support his or her participation at that program. (Information about the next encampment is posted at capmembers.com/encampment as it becomes available. Your local leaders will also be providing more information.) 
  • If CAP provides my child with a uniform, I promise to return that uniform when he or she outgrows it or decides to leave the CAP Program. 

Are you interested and able to volunteer your time and talents to support the cadets or other CAP missions? Check any that apply:

•      Helping with transportation
  •      Fundraising
  •      Supervising cadet events once in a while
  •      Taking an active role in leading cadets on a weekly basis
  •      Getting involved in the adult-focused emergencey services or aerospace eduation programs
  •      Setting up tours or telling you about connections I have that might interest CAP. Please explain briefly: 
BY COMPLETING THIS FORM AND CHECKING THIS CHECKBOX, I HEREBY 'SIGN' THIS APPLICATION 

Eclipse

Average >real< attention...

Week 1 -
Cadet - "Cool! Do I get to drive the Hummer?!"

Parent - "How much?...Seriously?...OK, here's the check, see you at 9:30."

Week 2
Cadet - "You mean that's not our Hummer?"

Week 4
Cadet - "Forget it, no one said anything about all the work, and they think they can tell me what to do..."

Parent - "You're going because Tuesday is my yoga night..."

Week 32
Commander - "Anyone seen Jenkins lately?"

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

To be fair, I know this happens a lot, but I'm trying to not be that.

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2015, 05:06:23 PM

Week 1 -

Week 2

Week 4
Cadet - "Forget it, no one said anything about all the work, and they think they can tell me what to do..."

Week 32

No way a cadet would disappear that long here, and that get by me.  I've closely watched retention and used different spreadsheets, charts, statistics, and such - even back to my cadet days.   :o

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JC004 on January 17, 2015, 05:43:29 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2015, 05:06:23 PM

Week 1 -

Week 2

Week 4

Week 32

No way a cadet would disappear that long here, and that get by me.  I've closely watched retention and used different spreadsheets, charts, statistics, and such - even back to my cadet days.   :o

Exception, not the rule. I still have my excel files from C/CC days. Tracked attendance, excused/unexcused, last promotion /eligible date, test taken, etc.