Question about a Senior Member

Started by flyguy06, November 23, 2005, 07:46:52 AM

flyguy06

we have Senior members in our unit that are very non productive, yet they still get promoted. One member has been in CAP for 6 years. The only yhting he has completed is Level I. He has never made an attempt to go to SLS, CLC, any wing activity or any flight activity. Because he is a Dentist, he is trying to get promoted to Capt to be the Medical officer. My argument is first, at the squadron level, we dont need a meical argument. Secondly, he hasnt been real active, s why should we promote him? The regs say the member must be active. Its more thanjust meeting the time in grade and professional qualifications. IT also means being active. My Cmmander isnt realup to date on CAP either. He's a nice  man but really doesnt understand the program so he just goes with the flow.
Am I wrong for my attitdue on this matter?

arajca

If a member isn't active, they do not qualify advance promotions. I dno't know what your position in the unit is, but you should sit down with your commander and discuss it with him. Bring the pertinent regs with to back up your concerns. No advanced promotions are required. They are all at the commander's discretion. As for needing a medical officer, it is an authorized staff position, and it is not a bad idea to have one, if one is available. I would have him serve in the position for at least six months, before submitting him for promotion, to see if he will do the job correctly, or if he just wants the title to get his railroad tracks.

An good example for CO: Pilots used be automatically promoted when the completed Level I/CPPT, regardless of how active they were. Our current wing commadner came down and said that the automatic promotions will stop unless the member is actively supporting the unit. For pilots, this means, at a minimum, pursuing the MP rating or O-flight qual.

Pylon

Nobody could ever tell you that your thoughts on a matter are wrong.  They're your opinions and you're entitled to have them.

That having been said, I also agree with you.  Inactive members should not be taking advantage of progression in grade while they are inactive.  If two S'members joined on the same day, would it be fair to promote both to 2d Lt after their 6 months and Level I, if one SM just completed his Level I and disappeared while the other took on heavy duties and came to every meeting and activity?  Of course it's not fair.  This is where commander's discretion is supposed to come in (but often does not).

A commander does not have to recommend anybody for a promotion, even if they've checked off all the boxes and "qualify" for the promotion.  The Commander's approval is one of those requirements; if the commander does not feel that a member is contributing to the unit then he or she should not sign-off on any promotion requests until the individual is contributing to CAP.

Promotions are there to recognize the individuals who are contributing their time and effort to Civil Air Patrol.  While we don't get increased pay, and our grade often doesn't mean a whole lot, promotions are small token of appreciation for those hard-working members and we shouldn't devalue it by handing it out like candy.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

groundpounder

Pylon,

I agree with your response. If the person is inactive, then they should not get promoted. The regs do give some latitude to the CC in this matter.

Commanders should use good judgment in promoting officers. As you said, we do not get paid but the recognition of a promotion is a great moral booster.

On the other end of the spectrum, the NYW policy that forbids advanced promotion to squadron level officers is a clear violation of the 35-5 regs.

Bottom line, good officers should be promoted, regardless of where they serve. In-actives should not.

flyguy06

The excuse my commander gives is he does it for retetntion and motivation.He says that because this member is not that involved that maybe promoting him will encourage him. He comes to meetings and thats about it.