Main Menu

Cadet Competition

Started by Alaric, August 21, 2014, 03:09:00 PM

NC Hokie

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 23, 2014, 03:27:57 AM
Eeeeww....30 minute health sessions? That's what school is for. Cadets are in CAP for anything BUT that.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2014, 03:33:21 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on August 23, 2014, 02:10:27 AMwith classroom sessions on health, etc.

Now cadets, this part of the flower is called the stamen, and this is the stigma...now write the names
on the other parts of the flower in your book.

Cadet Shufflebottom!  DO NOT READ AHEAD! 

((Good times))

Look, it's me and mini-me.  ::)

First, this is a backup plan.  I thought that was obvious, but I guess I was wrong.  In a perfect world, it would never be used, but I don't live in a perfect world.

Second, health in this case = nutrition and DDR stuff.  You know, a topic covered in CAPP 52-18 and a part of the cadet program NHQ has been pushing hard in the last couple of years.

You guys might have offered suggestions for fun indoor fitness activities appropriate for a small classroom when the weather keeps cadets indoors.  You didn't.  I guess the opportunity to bring the snark was just too hard to pass up.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Майор Хаткевич

Heh. I've finally been called a mini-Eclipse. Awesome.

Take it as you will. I'm 24. I still remember life before adulthood. High school. Even 6-8 grades (moved to the US mid 6th grade, so I don't think my Eastern Bloc experience will count).

I had health classes in 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th grades. It wasn't all miracle of life and abstinence either. It covered nutrition, the benefits of excersise, and DDR.

You know what wasn't interesting? Rehashing the same stuff year after year. You know what I would have loathed as a cadet back then? Having to do the same thing in CAP. I wasn't in CAP to get a nutrition class. I was in for the military aspect. Others were in for the AE. Still others were in to pad college resumes.

None of us were there for 52-18. Knew it cover to cover, but it was a resource. A resource to knowing what I need for promotion, and some advice on how to do it. All. It. Ever. Was.  All. It. Will. Ever. Be. (In its current form). You need indoor "PT" activities? That a tough one. Its tough enough in the snowy part of the country to do TESTING in the winter time. Want some ideas? Visit a Future Soldier meeting at your recruiters office. Bear crawls, flutter kicks, mountain climbers, pushups, sit ups, pushup up position. Do the Step Test. Do a medicine ball toss. But you know what? That's still lame. It's still only 10+/- hours a month. We won't have any impact on the cadets actual fitness, nor should we try. Give them a resource? Sure. Encourage them to use it? Of course. But it won't mean a [darn] thing when the new GTA VI comes out, and they forget all about it.

MajorM

Personally I would like to see a blend of approaches.  For the non-milestone achievements you need to progress better than the last test.  For the milestone you meet an age and gender appropriate standard.  This would be of particular value in Phase I and II.

We have three hour meetings each week and even we have a challenge fitting it all in. I understand the premise... To show cadets there are fun ways to get fitness into your life.  It's an admirable goal and can be a good morale builder too.  But there is the issue of trying to cram 10lbs of stuff into a 5lbs bag.