Updated CAPR 35-5 released today (11 Aug 14)

Started by Salty, August 11, 2014, 03:21:34 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: vento on August 22, 2014, 06:09:22 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on August 22, 2014, 04:54:02 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 22, 2014, 01:49:40 PM
[darn]. Now I have to go to CLC, get my Senior rating, and go to two conferences. Bummer.

I already have all those...I went to CLC in 1994, have attended every Wing conference (in my former Wing) between 1994 and 1998, a Region Conference in 1999...and a Master rating in Administration.

When was the last time you submitted your case for promotion? Or did you piss off somebody spectacularly?  :o

PM sent as most of the regulars here know the story.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Soooo...there really is no provision for someone like me, who really wants to be an NCO, to be one, right? You would have to be one in the Real Military(tm) in order to be a CAPNCO, right?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 22, 2014, 09:26:42 PM
Soooo...there really is no provision for someone like me, who really wants to be an NCO, to be one, right? You would have to be one in the Real Military(tm) in order to be a CAPNCO, right?
as of right now no.  But part of phase two is to correct that and open the NCO corps to all by phase three.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on August 22, 2014, 11:10:04 PM

as of right now no.  But part of phase two is to correct that and open the NCO corps to all by phase three.

So, If I'm reading the PD/TIG scale correctly, I can be a TSGT, having completed Level 3. Nice. I can live with that, one more stripe than I got as a cadet anyway.

Eclipse

And by "correct that" you mean try and squeeze out some justification that doesn't actually exist?

Or is it because..."reasons"?

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2014, 12:00:13 AM

And by "correct that" you mean try and squeeze out some justification that doesn't actually exist?

If I were a cynic, I would reason that the regulation dropped in the last week of the CAP/CC emeritus' term because he had more enthusiasm for the NCO stuff than his successor did, and that perhaps the "Phase 2/3" might have less enthusiasm behind them going forward.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2014, 12:00:13 AM

If you read the white paper....the whole reason for the NCO corps is written right there.  It is kind of buried....but if you read for comprehension you will see it. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2014, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: catrulz on August 22, 2014, 02:12:49 PM
Why is 25% of the total CAP officer force, considered too high?
In the current paradigm it is actually TOO LOW.
Since the stated goal of CAP PD is to build better officers and staff, at least theoretically,
any member in the organization for at least 10 years should be expected to achieve Lt Col.

I think that this is pretty much what I've been saying -- CAP's goal should be to have all officers trained to the highest level available within the organization within a certain amount of time.  Someone that has been a Major for 10 years should probably be considered to be a failure of the PD system. 

On a different issue -- I do wonder if the percentage of members with Level IV and V increases with proximity to the Region Staff College and National Staff College.  Since these never move it is always going to be easier for locals to attend since their cost is significantly reduced. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have been a Captain since 1997, with breaks in service.

Any way I can trade that for SSgt?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

abdsp51

MSG Mac

Quote from: CyBorg on August 23, 2014, 02:42:12 PM
I have been a Captain since 1997, with breaks in service.

Any way I can trade that for SSgt?

Only if you have served as an E-5 in the RM.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Simplex

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Simplex

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on August 23, 2014, 01:47:02 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2014, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: catrulz on August 22, 2014, 02:12:49 PM
Why is 25% of the total CAP officer force, considered too high?
In the current paradigm it is actually TOO LOW.
Since the stated goal of CAP PD is to build better officers and staff, at least theoretically,
any member in the organization for at least 10 years should be expected to achieve Lt Col.

I think that this is pretty much what I've been saying -- CAP's goal should be to have all officers trained to the highest level available within the organization within a certain amount of time.  Someone that has been a Major for 10 years should probably be considered to be a failure of the PD system.

On a different issue -- I do wonder if the percentage of members with Level IV and V increases with proximity to the Region Staff College and National Staff College.  Since these never move it is always going to be easier for locals to attend since their cost is significantly reduced.

Whyzat? I've been a Major for 11 years. I was a Captain for 14 years before that. I've basically reached my level of incompetence.  I have neither the skills nor interest in going any farther, and am content where I am.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

So do we consider those who have never promoted since they joined a failure as well?

Honestly this was change for the sake of change, and there is no data to support this will make our officers better. 

RiverAux

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 24, 2014, 02:22:07 AM
So do we consider those who have never promoted since they joined a failure as well?

If we think that it is important that CAP members obtain PD training and if that person hasn't obtained any, then yes.  If they have gone all the way up to NSC and never promoted, I'd be fine with that. 

Garibaldi

On the one hand, yes, but on the other, there is no real accountability for member officers to not promote. I don't think we can be 2B'd for failure to progress like cadets, but it behooves us to promote at least once. You can't really be effective if you are a SWOG (or OWOG, in the new parlance) for umpteen years. I mean, what is the point? Take the PD, get the grade, advance. Or, if you already have done what you intend to have done in the program, and are resting at Major or Lt Col. then by all means coast. Not much more farther that you can go anyway.