CAP-Agency vs CAP-Club - the real issue in Iowa

Started by cyclone, January 13, 2008, 02:15:18 AM

RiverAux

According to the CAP homeland security database Iowa currently has 16 mission pilots for 7 aircraft.  I don't care how you cut it, but that is insufficient to ensure a quality response on a statewide level.  With 50 Observers and 80 Scanners (probably some overlap), they probably have enough crewmembers for the planes assuming they can get a pilot.  They've got 26 ground team leaders and 60 ground team members (probably some overlap between the two), which actually seems pretty good to me considering the size of their wing. 

I've mentioned these stats before and the response from locals is that they've managed to meet the missions they've been tasked with with this number of pilots.  That may be the case, but I think they've been extremely lucky. 

Dragoon

I get your opinion - 2.3 MPs per plane is inadequate.  It does sound a bit low.

But it might be just fine.  CAP doesn't have a standard.  It could be that 7 of their MPs are retired guys just sitting around ready to handle missions!  Or it could be that all of their MPs are working 80 hour  a week jobs and can't afford to take time off to do any CAP.  Or anywhere in between.

Has Iowa dropped the ball on any mission tasking due to lake of folks?  If not, seems like they're OK.

Barring some national standard, the best indicator of readiness is going to be performance - both on actual and evaluated practice missions.

RiverAux

CAP doesn't have a national standard, and really couldn't since they can't mandate how many people are in a unit.  My personal rule of thumb is to have 3 people for every "slot" and I'll feel reasonably sure of being able to fill all slots when the time comes.  For an almost 100% guarantee I think you need 5 people. 

cyclone

On its last Air Force EVAL in May 07, Iowa Wing was given an "Excellent" rating by the CAP-USAF evaluators.   It then turned around in July and flew in an Air Force exercise for 2 weeks flying 1-2 sorties per day.   It flew for a week with anywhere between 2-5 sorties per day for flooding in SW and then SE / E Iowa.

The then leadership of IAWG has admitted that it was low on qualified mission pilots.  We were flying the hell out of several of our IP's trying to get some guys current enough to become mission pilots and then training up a few more who had all the pre-req's met.   

Our pilot corps used to have a ton of dead weight bloat with guys that maybe flew 1 practice mission per year (or just their bi-annual CAPF 91 ride).  It inflated our numbers and gave a false sense of capability.  Our corps of active, qualified, and current mission pilots has traditionally hovered in the range of 20 pilots in recent history prior to the "Iowa Experiment."   In FY 07 IAWG flew 1400+ hours on 7 planes. This was despite one of the 182's being out of wing for 4 mos for an engine change and some other excessive maintenance down times.

Johnny Yuma

QuoteOur pilot corps used to have a ton of dead weight bloat with guys that maybe flew 1 practice mission per year (or just their bi-annual CAPF 91 ride).  It inflated our numbers and gave a false sense of capability.  Our corps of active, qualified, and current mission pilots has traditionally hovered in the range of 20 pilots in recent history prior to the "Iowa Experiment."

This, ladies and gents, is why the IAWG experiment worked and why so many were opposed.

The IAWG experiment exposed an ugly truth about CAP: No one could reconcile the number in MIMS with the numbers who would actually show.

IAWG took those who would be there for the Mission, made a core group and cut the dregs loose to the inactive bin.

Those who like pretending they had lots of 101 qualified members in their unit who knew they couldn't do anything with them hated the IAWG experiment.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

mikeylikey

^ The experiment worked?  The last four weeks seem to show a different outcome.

Iowa may have "cut its dead weight", but I bet if push came to shove and those pilots that only flew one training mission per year were called on for an actual mission, they may show up.
What's up monkeys?

isuhawkeye

they couldn't do it many times that I called for missions

mikeylikey

^ It take back what I said then.  That goes to show you, those that are not part of Iowa Wing (myself included) really don't know what is going there. 

For the record, I take back (I know that means nothing to some) everything negative I said about Iowa Wing and  it's experiment.  At least you guys had the guts to try something new out there.  Most of us may talk big about things we would do, but in reality, none of it will ever happen.

Why my change of opinion.......
Penna Wing members have not even heard once from the New Wing King since his appointment (four months ago).  He has not issued any statements, and visions on where the wing is going, etc.  We can't even get him to read proposals written and signed by thirty Officers for activities we would like to create.

Iowa seemed at the least to have a vision, mission and focus that most wings (mine included) lack.

Good luck to Iowa.......I will not comment any more on it.
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 24, 2008, 05:53:28 PM

Iowa may have "cut its dead weight", but I bet if push came to shove and those pilots that only flew one training mission per year were called on for an actual mission, they may show up.

Further, based on our existing regulations, which cannot be circumvented or ignored without the approval of NHQ, those "once a year pilots" are every bit as qualified as those who fly once a week.

While I'm as vocal as anyone about presenting correct readiness numbers, any member who is maintaining enough participation to stay a current mission pilot is far from "inactive" - a mission pilot who only participates in "one mission a year" also has to do a Form 5 and a Form 91, plus whatever it takes to maintain his flight credentials and all the recurrency needed on the MP taskings themselves.

For some members, life intrudes at a point where participating at all becomes difficult, and the flexibility of
training opportunities at the local squadron becomes the only way they can maintain currency.  That is the design and model of CAP, and the whole point of allowing members to serve their communities in uniform, locally.

Most wings have taken great pains to encourage units to step up and increase the training opportunities afforded to members to get away from the "do it now, or wait until next year" mentality that has plagued CAP for year.

There is a big difference between professionalizing your force and increasing expectations, and funneling everything into such a small jar that only those who are hyper-motivated can even participate.

"That Others May Zoom"

cyclone

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2008, 06:33:52 PM

Further, based on our existing regulations, which cannot be circumvented or ignored without the approval of NHQ, those "once a year pilots" are every bit as qualified as those who fly once a week.

There is a big difference between being "qualified" and being "current."  I've been up with the guys that do the min's and those that go beyond it.  Sorry, I don't want to fly with the guy who just takes a CAPF 5 once a year and that's the only exposure to the CAP aircraft he gets.   

No 101 quals were ever taken away from the MP's in Iowa.  No CAPF 5's were rescinded.  No CAPF 91's were negated.   These guys who went inactive didn't do the minimum required to stay "qualified." 

MP's were told to fly and stay current whenever the opportunity presents itself (and BTW the wing was paying for it, lock, stock, and barrel) or stop wasting everyone's time.

cyclone

They didn't respond when I called either.  We had some "MP's" tell us that they would only fly day, VFR, and only if they felt like it and not to call them for emergencies.  There were several times when we had MOWG, NEWG, or MNWG in a standby position to back us up when we had a major operation inbound or in progress just to make sure the mission got done. That was the nice thing about CAP, no boundaries.

Eclipse

Quote from: cyclone on January 24, 2008, 08:30:57 PM
MP's were told to fly and stay current whenever the opportunity presents itself (and BTW the wing was paying for it, lock, stock, and barrel) or stop wasting everyone's time.

Awesome, unless all the "opportunities" are 4 hours away on on specific weekends.

"That Others May Zoom"

cyclone

Opportunities for proficiency and currency were made available at the squadrons.  Either in organized exercise or if the pilot setup a training plan for a sortie it could be at any time.  Travelling 4 hours to stay current in the A/C was in no way required.

ZigZag911

They may indeed....and if I were IC, they would probably be the last pilots I assigned to an aircrew, because flying one mission annually would virtually guarantee that they were not our best mission pilots....too little practice to keep mission skills sharp.

RiverAux

AF Mission Evaluations do not really test the ability of a Wing to respond to a major mission.  Every wing can get enough pilots to show up to put all their planes in the air for one day.  The two other missions cited are what I would call medium-effort missions and I would have expected them to be able to handle those.    

The gold standard I use is the ability of a unit (squadron, group, or wing) to fly at least 2 sorties a day per plane for a week.  This will cover a typical lost airplane mission, which is our break and butter, and should receive our maximum effort.  I seriously doubt Iowa as a whole could meet that standard.  Of course, if you don't like my standard, thats fine.  

I can't speak as to whether or not pilots no longer flying should still be there or not, but it does appear that some of the policies implemented by Iowa have negatively impacted pilot recruitment or retention (can't tell which as an outsider).  

ZigZag911

I have to comment that some of our posters here, for people who have made much of the fact that what happens in Iowa does not affect them, seem to be going to great lengths to jump all over those Hoosiers who supported the "Iowa Experiment".

If you want to back one position or the other, fine....then say so, and use reasoned arguments, instead of taking up the electronic equivalent of "sniper positions"!

Eclipse

Quote from: ZigZag911 on January 24, 2008, 11:37:42 PM
I have to comment that some of our posters here, for people who have made much of the fact that what happens in Iowa does not affect them, seem to be going to great lengths to jump all over those Hoosiers who supported the "Iowa Experiment".

If you want to back one position or the other, fine....then say so, and use reasoned arguments, instead of taking up the electronic equivalent of "sniper positions"!

Hoosiers are from Indiana...

"That Others May Zoom"

ZigZag911

Sorry 'bout that, we tend to be geographically challenged out here in Joisey!

Be that as it may, my point stands.

Johnny Yuma

Respectfully, the only outcome of the last 4 weeks is that the NCR/CC is unable to make solid, responsible decisions.

This isn't a Scheitzach/Critelli thing, this was purely a Region CC whose decisions on Wing Commander were made without any idea or care about the results.

The Hangar Commandoes  didn't show up to fly in IAWG before the experiment, they didn't after. What the hell makes you think they will now???
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

cyclone

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 24, 2008, 11:51:18 PM

Respectfully, the only outcome of the last 4 weeks is that the NCR/CC is unable to make solid, responsible decisions.

This isn't a Scheitzach/Critelli thing, this was purely a Region CC whose decisions on Wing Commander were made without any idea or care about the results.

The Hangar Commandoes  didn't show up to fly in IAWG before the experiment, they didn't after. What the hell makes you think they will now???

I doubt it will make much difference.  Except lots of good talent leaving Iowa CAP and the 2b processer at NHQ going "that's odd, why all these from Iowa?"  It's sad to think that the last 4 years of work is being flushed down the toilet so quickly.

The Change of Command ceremony is Saturday at 1100 hrs.  I feel sorry for this poor guy.  He is taking command of a wing where a lot of the people don't know who he is and he doesn't know them.  He's not tuned into the agencies the wing has been playing with, nor does he have anyone left who really does.   He's got a monstrous staff turnover to contend with.  His funding is about to dry up (which means a big culture change to contend with).  Everyone is wondering what to expect since there has been no communication to the masses.  Speculation and rumor have become the norm in the last two weeks in the wing.  The command selection / decision change has all your externals thinking that you are unstable and unreliable.   Yeah, I can't imagine how he feels.  However, on the plus side he is now a full bird.  Bottoms up!