Main Menu

VSAF Annoucement

Started by NIN, January 10, 2008, 09:31:28 PM

afgeo4

I think the polo/khaki decision was a poor choice. I understand that they don't want to "confuse" the existing employees at AFB shops with our rank structures. However, CAP-VSAF uniforms aren't going to be helpful to CAP in the long run because the rest of CAP doesn't look like that.

The solution to this problem should have been really simple... allow CAP members to wear the current polo/gray slacks uniform or the blues/bdus with CAP cutouts a-la- SM (no grade).

No rank confusion. No confusion over who's in what organization and... we fit in with everyone else.

That's what the USCG Auxiliary does. It works very well for them.

As far as confusions go... it takes about 30 seconds to explain who we are to the Airman or civilian employee. Our members are used to that anyway. We do it all day long. The Airman benefits from knowing that there is such an organization to help USAF in their missions. That's one way of spreading the word to the Air Force community so that the next generation of Airmen ALL know who we are and what we do.
GEORGE LURYE

Ricochet13

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2008, 08:41:43 PM
I think the polo/khaki decision was a poor choice. I understand that they don't want to "confuse" the existing employees at AFB shops with our rank structures. However, CAP-VSAF uniforms aren't going to be helpful to CAP in the long run because the rest of CAP doesn't look like that.

The solution to this problem should have been really simple... allow CAP members to wear the current polo/gray slacks uniform or the blues/bdus with CAP cutouts a-la- SM (no grade).

No rank confusion. No confusion over who's in what organization and... we fit in with everyone else.

As far as confusions go... it takes about 30 seconds to explain who we are to the Airman or civilian employee. Our members are used to that anyway. We do it all day long. The Airman benefits from knowing that there is such an organization to help USAF in their missions. That's one way of spreading the word to the Air Force community so that the next generation of Airmen ALL know who we are and what we do.

DBL — That stands for "Don't be logical".  ;D  I agree with you 100%, but seems like CAP tends to take the simplest thing and make it much more complicated than it really needs to be.

afgeo4

Quote from: Ricochet13 on January 19, 2008, 12:52:10 AM

DBL — That stands for "Don't be logical".  ;D  I agree with you 100%, but seems like CAP tends to take the simplest thing and make it much more complicated than it really needs to be.
Yeah... I think we got that from our step-father organization, USAF.
GEORGE LURYE

Gunner C

QuoteThe selection of the distinctive polo and khaki uniform, rather than a military-style uniform, was a conscious decision as well.  Since it is anticipated that members will frequently work side-by-side Air Force civilian employees and enlisted personnel, many of whom may not be familiar with CAP's rank structure and because members may be providing customer service to junior enlisted personnel or dependents, we did not want the uniform to become an obstacle that distracts from the support our volunteers will provide to the Air Force through this program.

My baloney meter is pegging out.

Lancer

*bump*

AF.mil coverage

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123083714

Randolph, Civil Air Patrol kick off new support program

1/25/2008 - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- A new pilot program between the Air Force and Civil Air Patrol officials is set to kick off with a meeting and orientation tour Jan. 28 at Randolph Air Force Base.

"The new program called Volunteer Support to the Air Force will provide greater opportunities for citizens through the CAP while enhancing the Air Force capabilities as part of the Air Force's Continuum of Service," said Craig Duehring, the assistant secretary of the Air Force for manpower and Reserve affairs.

Continuum of Service is a Department of Defense initiative that seeks to provide opportunities for service along a continuum from active duty military members to civilian volunteers. The initiative recognizes people are the key ingredient to the sustained success of our Air Force and focuses on eliminating the barriers that allow people to continue to serve as their personal situations change over the course of their career.

Randolph AFB along with Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, are the only two bases testing the new program.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for Randolph (officials) and the Air Force to leverage the many volunteer capabilities of the Civil Air Patrol," said Col. Richard Clark, the 12th Flying Training Wing commander. "This initiative will enhance the Air Force mission as the CAP professionals bring experience, knowledge and enthusiasm to the many missions of Randolph AFB."

CAP officials are scheduled to get a mission briefing, visit the 560th Flying Training Squadron, tour the 99th Flying Training Squadron's Tuskegee Airman Hall and see a static display review of Randolph AFB aircraft.

The CAP, the official auxiliary of the Air Force, is a nonprofit organization with nearly 57,000 members nationwide that performs 90 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions as tasked by Air Force Rescue Coordination Center officials.

afgeo4

Doesn't Randolph do flight training?

Could CAP members who are FIs perform parts of primary flight training for UPT students on CAP aircraft?
GEORGE LURYE

SAR-EMT1

I thought CAP got rid of its AT-6's a LONG time ago  ::)

Questions/Observations:

I just LOVE how even in the AF PAO release they didnt say what exactly jobs we will be doing. Just that the Underdog for MP&R will be making a speech and that the local CAP folks will get a tour.
Does anyone see a problem with that?

Anyone have any idea how long the trial period may last?

Will this affect any other augmentation programs? - I know the folks at Scott Augment gate guards and I know Kach does his SpaceTour bit...

Why isnt Maxwell a trial Site?
(Considering that it is, well, you know... the location of CAP-USAF/ NHQ)

Those who have submitted info to E-Services about your former or current CLEARANCE: has the staff at NHQ got ahold of you? AE... have we seen anything as to why they asked?

Does anyone think the above request for info, AND the fact that OPSEC just went mandatory for all nationwide ( cadinks included) is related?

- Was the nationwide OPSEC thing just seen as a good idea?

- OR might they be a precursor to select CAP members being issued a Confidential, Secret or For Your Eyes Only-Decoder Ring? 

Some of this is speculation, but Im wondering if its related.

Another question; as far as getting more base privileges... those folks in the know/ current/ prior service. What kind of privileges do current vollunteers recieve? 

Final Question: DO current Vollunteers (CAP and otherwise) recieve a seperate ID Card?  .(.. Kach?)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2008, 07:04:33 AM
Another question; as far as getting more base privileges... those folks in the know/ current/ prior service. What kind of privileges do current volunteers receive? 

I can answer related to the Army side, and a little AF side.  When I was Ft Drum, the civilian volunteers on post were issued CAC cards.  I do believe it was the civilian version with "Volunteer" printed on it.  They received access to the E/NCO Club, and could join if they wanted to.  They also were allowed access to all AAFES activities (including class six), and all MWR activities.

When I was at Ft Knox, there were civilians volunteers there helping with the ROTC Camp, they also received CAC cards to access the networks, and received Post privileges.

The civilian that volunteers in the recruiting office at my local AF Base (who is a neighbor of mine) also has a civilian CAC card, which does not have any GS grade on it, or "volunteer" written on it.  She gets access to everything as well.  I think she is the only volunteer on the base.

I seriously doubt CAP members would get a card or any access to MWR/AAFES activities.  That is a shame!  I still think the VSAF volunteers will be found in the base gym, library, car care center, gas station or Red Cross office.  We shall see. 
What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

So, what exacly is the VASF.? I know what it stands for so please dont go there. But I wasnt clear on what it does. I read all the PC stuff, but tell me the down and dirty what it is. Thanks

pixelwonk

CAP people volunteering to do unspeakable acts for USAF people.

unspeakable because well... nobody has really spoken about that part yet. 
That's pretty much all we know right about now.

flyguy06

Quote from: tedda on January 26, 2008, 11:20:45 PM
CAP people volunteering to do unspeakable acts for USAF people.

unspeakable because well... nobody has really spoken about that part yet. 
That's pretty much all we know right about now.

hmmmmmm..........so basically we dont know what we will be doing?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2008, 07:04:33 AM
I thought CAP got rid of its AT-6's a LONG time ago  ::)

Questions/Observations:

I just LOVE how even in the AF PAO release they didnt say what exactly jobs we will be doing. Just that the Underdog for MP&R will be making a speech and that the local CAP folks will get a tour.
Does anyone see a problem with that?

Anyone have any idea how long the trial period may last?

Will this affect any other augmentation programs? - I know the folks at Scott Augment gate guards and I know Kach does his SpaceTour bit...

Why isnt Maxwell a trial Site?
(Considering that it is, well, you know... the location of CAP-USAF/ NHQ)

Those who have submitted info to E-Services about your former or current CLEARANCE: has the staff at NHQ got ahold of you? AE... have we seen anything as to why they asked?

Does anyone think the above request for info, AND the fact that OPSEC just went mandatory for all nationwide ( cadinks included) is related?

- Was the nationwide OPSEC thing just seen as a good idea?

- OR might they be a precursor to select CAP members being issued a Confidential, Secret or For Your Eyes Only-Decoder Ring? 

Some of this is speculation, but Im wondering if its related.

Another question; as far as getting more base privileges... those folks in the know/ current/ prior service. What kind of privileges do current vollunteers recieve? 

Final Question: DO current Vollunteers (CAP and otherwise) recieve a seperate ID Card?  .(.. Kach?)

From Kach...

Yes.  In order to gain access to Cape Canaveral Air Force Base, a special security pass is required.  Trainees get a 4-month pass, during which time they must complete the training course, and security checks out their background.  Then you get an annual pass.

The ID is the same as the ones the RM people need to gain access to the very secure place with lots of secret squirrel stuff going on.  My military ID is no good at that gate.
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Or...

We could use the existing golf shirt uniform, which has no rank on it.

Nothing out of NHQ justifies a completely new (and ugly) uniform.

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 26, 2008, 11:50:27 PM

Or...

We could use the existing golf shirt uniform, which has no rank on it.

Nothing out of NHQ justifies a completely new (and ugly) uniform.
I agree.  There just is no sound reason to replace one polo for another at members' expense. Again... that is if USAF doesn't provide the polo for those who join VSAF.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 27, 2008, 06:45:15 AM
I agree.  There just is no sound reason to replace one polo for another at members' expense. Again... that is if USAF doesn't provide the polo for those who join VSAF.

Gentleman, there is already a discussion about the VSAF uniform taking place in another thread.  This thread is for discussion on the program itself - not its accouterments.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Nick

Hm, I might have to make a run out to Randolph in a couple weeks and see what I can find out for you guys.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

ddelaney103

Quote from: Pylon on January 27, 2008, 10:57:40 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 27, 2008, 06:45:15 AM

Gentleman, there is already a discussion about the VSAF uniform taking place in another thread.  This thread is for discussion on the program itself - not its accouterments.

Actually, there isn't - that thread got locked when it went into accusing the NB of selling out to Vanguard.

Unfortunately, until the people from the two AFB's that are acting as pilots for the program get back from their initial meetings, no one will have the gouge on what we'll be doing.

RiverAux

On a slightly different aspect of this issue ----

I wonder how this program will be monitored and evaluated?  Is someone going to keep track of how many individual CAP volunteers participate?  How much time they volunteer?  Exactly what they've been doing? 

And, more importantly, what the criteria for success that would lead them to take the program national?  Percent of CAP members within 50 miles that participate in the program and donate more than 100 hours a year to the program?  Total participants?  Total hours? 

While I am a strong proponent of the program, I do think it will take a while to really ramp up at any one site.  None of our current members planned on doing this activity, so only a certain percentage of them will have the extra time to do this on top of their normal activities.  I think to some extent this will be a program that will eventually attract in new recruits who would be interested in VSAF first and more traditional CAP activities second. 

I think to some extent they would probably get higher start-up CAP participation if they picked a few specific "missions" or 1 AF unit in particular for CAP members to focus on rather than opening up 50 different types of jobs all over the base. 

RiverAux

Also, I think they are far more likely to have CAP members volunteer for positions that directly relieve a military member from some duty.  I doubt any CAPPERs are going to volunteer to do something that a paid civilian normally does.  Sure, it would benefit the AF by maybe saving them a little bit of money, but I think potential augmentees are going to want to have a more direct impact on the lives of airmen by helping out one of them directly by giving them time off or giving them time to work on higher priority tasks. 

JohnKachenmeister

In the Museum Support program we carefully track the number of volunteer hours,  the number of tours, and the total number of persons visiting.  "Success" will be evaluated on 1.  Mission accomplishment and 2.  CAP's contribution to that accomplishment.