Senator John McCain claims CAP is Pork Barrel Spending (Again)

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 14, 2013, 05:08:16 AM

a2capt

These online petition sites are a waste of time. When you go there after a few days and see them floundering at a couple hundred .. what message is that sending?

Spend your energy on your two state senators. Get the message directly to where it needs to be. In the time you spend waiting for email confirmations, filling out this stuff, you can just get it over with.  Who is going to "deliver" this "petition" to the President? What good is that going to do?  When is it going to get there. What difference does it make if it's late? Who decides when to do it?

If the same 200 people sent messages to their representatives directly, they might actually be more difference than a fart in a hurricane. "Gee, a lot of people sent me a message on this topic in a short amont of time.. " Maybe.. I better look into this. 

JoeTomasone

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Patterson on March 15, 2013, 10:57:33 PM
ask our fellow Members in Arizona WHAT THE CRAP ARE YOU DOING TO US?!?!  Arizona Wing; get your Senator in line!!
Nice way to suggest that this is somehow the fault of the 1310 members of AZWG, and how exactly do you suggest we "get our Senator" in line?  Do tell.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

abdsp51

Lets close the Congressional Squadron, reassign that Aircraft and ask our fellow Members in Arizona WHAT THE CRAP ARE YOU DOING TO US?!?!  Arizona Wing; get your Senator in line!!

First off Patterson,  while I may be a member of the AZ wing Sen McCain is not nor will ever be my senator.  It is not the fault of any member here from the Wing CC to the newest cadet his stance or approach.  Check your fire and redirect it to a far more appropriate target and I highly recommend you go sit in a corner and think first before you type.

RiverAux

Take a look and compare the Senators voting to cut funding to CAP with which Senators are members of the CAP Congressional Squadron!! 

Which members of the Congressional squadron are on the "wrong" side here? 

flyboy53

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 16, 2013, 01:16:03 AM
Lets close the Congressional Squadron, reassign that Aircraft and ask our fellow Members in Arizona WHAT THE CRAP ARE YOU DOING TO US?!?!  Arizona Wing; get your Senator in line!!

First off Patterson,  while I may be a member of the AZ wing Sen McCain is not nor will ever be my senator.

If you live in AZ, then he IS your Senator. Sorry to break it to you. Any constituent issue, and you have 3 people: Your rep, and your two senators.

I don't quite know what you meant by that, but I'm really tired of people saying stuff like "X is not my president", "y is not my problem". Not saying that's how you meant it, but it is what it is.

abdsp51

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 16, 2013, 01:54:28 AM

First off Patterson,  while I may be a member of the AZ wing Sen McCain is not nor will ever be my senator.

If you live in AZ, then he IS your Senator. Sorry to break it to you. Any constituent issue, and you have 3 people: Your rep, and your two senators.

I don't quite know what you meant by that, but I'm really tired of people saying stuff like "X is not my president", "y is not my problem". Not saying that's how you meant it, but it is what it is.

I may live in AZ but I do not have residency here in Az.  Therefore by not having residency here he is not my senator nor are the representatives my representatives.  Nor am I required by law to be a resident of AZ. 

JeffDG

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 16, 2013, 02:02:20 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 16, 2013, 01:54:28 AM

I may live in AZ but I do not have residency here in Az.  Therefore by not having residency here he is not my senator nor are the representatives my representatives.  Nor am I required by law to be a resident of AZ.
Some of us have no representatives at all.

Garibaldi

last time McCain pulled this stuff he tried to get us moved to DOT. I may respect him for being a vet but twice is enough.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 16, 2013, 02:26:20 AM
last time McCain pulled this stuff he tried to get us moved to DOT. I may respect him for being a vet but twice is enough.

It was a crock then and it's a crock now.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

I have a Question? What Dept/Funding is High School JROTC under? Do they get cuts also? If Not, cant CAP be put under the same dept/funding as JROTC?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on March 16, 2013, 07:23:18 PM
I have a Question? What Dept/Funding is High School JROTC under? Do they get cuts also? If Not, cant CAP be put under the same dept/funding as JROTC?

That's been raised before, and might be fine for the CP side, but doesn't really mesh well with the Senior and operational side, which, IMHO, cannot be separated.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Even if we did get added to the same department that cover's JROTC units.  They are being cut as well.  The Unit at my Old High School just Closed because the School Board couldn't bridge the funding gap just for the instructors.   Let's not even think about that.  I think our arrangement is just fine.

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2013, 07:36:59 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on March 16, 2013, 07:23:18 PM

That's been raised before, and might be fine for the CP side, but doesn't really mesh well with the Senior and operational side, which, IMHO, cannot be separated.

AFJROTC funding comes through the Holme Center (just like CAP-USAF).  This is an Air Force program.  It is an Air Force budget item and, not a grant to a 503c non profit corporation (where CAP's money comes from).  It is an "apples and oranges" thing. 

That being said, Sen McCain is way off base in arguing CAP's relationship to the DoD makes no sense and, is not worthy of funding at current levels.  The $12 million he wishes to cut from the grant would cripple CAP.  It would mean the reduction of dozens of CAP jobs and, the absolute reduction of our mission capabilities on all levels.  The amendment should not pass the senate.  However, if it does, it would still go back to a joint resolution committee for final passage.  We'll know on Monday what the results are...

A.Member

At one time, Sen. McCain was a Congressional Squadron member.  I don't know if he still is or not.  However, if he is, National should revoke or, at the very least, non-renew his membership at year end out of principle (there are also a couple options under 35-3, Section B, 4(b) - not that these necessarily apply to Congressional memberships). 

While he may not care about something like this, our membership does.  If nothing else, it let's him know that we're paying attention and that we don't approve. You can't be part of the Congressional Squadron and claim to support the organization while promoting specific legislation to cut the organization.  Pfft..politicians.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

abdsp51

Quote from: A.Member on March 16, 2013, 10:48:38 PM
At one time, Sen. McCain was a Congressional Squadron member.  I don't know if he still is or not.  However, if he is, National should revoke or, at the very least, non-renew his membership at year end out of principle (there are also a couple options under 35-3, Section B, 4(b) - not that these necessarily apply to Congressional memberships). 

While he may not care about something like this, our membership does.  If nothing else, it let's him know that we're paying attention and that we don't approve. You can't be part of the Congressional Squadron and claim to support the organization while promoting specific legislation to cut the organization.  Pfft..politicians.

Tit for tat much?  He's a politician and he as well as all the rest of are trying though in a piss poor attempt to put together a budget.  Cuts are being made across the board and unfortunately now that sequestration is here everyone is going to be feeling it. 

CAP4117

^ That's true, and I think we are all willing to accept that there will be cuts. But isn't it a little...odd...that he is specifically targeting CAP which is, as others have pointed out, a more economical solution for the AF's inland search and rescue mission?

Quote from: A.Member on March 16, 2013, 10:48:38 PM

I totally get the anger behind this statement, but I'm not sure that would accomplish much.

Devil Doc

McCain states that he wants to cut funding from DOD and find us funding another way? Sounds Nice Right? Good luck with that.

BTW, not to Grind anybodies Gears, I think they should cut subsidized housing, welfare etc. Im tired of working my but off. Everytime I pass goverment housing I see Brand new vehicles, with rims, big screen TVs new clothes and new shoes. I havnt baught me a pair of shoes, shirts, or pants in years. My newest clothing items are CAP only.

Redistribution of Wealth. Psshh If you dont work or try, you should not get a free ride.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

lordmonar

Quote from: SARDOC on March 16, 2013, 08:28:44 PM
Even if we did get added to the same department that cover's JROTC units.  They are being cut as well.  The Unit at my Old High School just Closed because the School Board couldn't bridge the funding gap just for the instructors.   Let's not even think about that.  I think our arrangement is just fine.
Uhhhhhm......we are under the same department as AFJROTC units.

The issue with AFJROTC units.....is that their money is already obligated and they can't cut their "discritionary" operations......because they don't have any.

In CAP you can cut back on training and any not required spending.....but you can't really do that in JROTC.....you can close down units.....but that would not take affect until next fall........and even then there is probably some sort of contract that will limit how many units can be closed.

Also........there is still the carry over costs.......if the USAF pulls funding from CAP.........who is going to do the inland SAR mission?   It is still cheaper for us to to it than anyone else.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP