Senator John McCain claims CAP is Pork Barrel Spending (Again)

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 14, 2013, 05:08:16 AM

Walkman

I called my Senator as well. I understand in the time of sequester that everyone's budget is getting hacked. One of my best friends is currently in the 'Stan (AFRES) and is facing his current DA to the cuts.

What I have the biggest issue, echoing pretty much everyone else in this thread, is Sen. McCain's tone with regard to our worth.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Face it, as long as he's in the Senate, whenever the topic of "wasteful" or "pork-barrel" spending by the military comes up, we're going to be his straw man.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

West MI-CAP-Ret

Didn't Sen McCain's wife belong to CAP?  What about Sen Harkin?
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

MajorM

I think of note is that Thomas lists no co-sponsors for his amendment.

Eclipse

It's all just posturing for constituents.

We just flooded the Hill a couple weeks ago with CAP people during Legislative Days.  If we were not able to make
a plausible case for our viability, a few of us calling today won't make any difference, any more then this amendment
will influence people in the other direction.

The unfortunate reality is that even eliminating CAP altogether would have zero net effect on the current crisis. 
One would like to think that our legislators would be looking at the high-level impactful numbers instead of
"toaster leavins" at the level of CAP.  Interestingly there's never any indication of the real-world cost of replacing
CAP services with at-cost contractors or similar (assuming it's not covered by the military for $$$! )

Maybe we could get a few of those corporations not paying Federal Income tax this year to pop a few buckos our way,
or ask Apple to repatriate some of their mountain of cash.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: MajorM on March 14, 2013, 07:42:20 PM

I cant find the wording of the amendment... help?? Link??

(I contacted both of my Senators)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

A.Member

Quote from: SamFranklinAs someone here said, the House passed a bill restoring our funding to the 28M (or whatever) we would've normally received if the budget world actually functioned normally, so that's a good sign. The immediate "noise" here from Sen. McCain isn't worrisome.
Quote from: Eclipse on March 14, 2013, 07:46:08 PM
We just flooded the Hill a couple weeks ago with CAP people during Legislative Days.  If we were not able to make
a plausible case for our viability, a few of us calling today won't make any difference
, any more then this amendment
will influence people in the other direction.

The apathy/indifference in the statements above is problematic but also indicative of the trend in our society. 

If one believes any potential cut wouldn't be problematic for CAP then fine, do nothing.   However, if you believe in CAP's value proposition then anytime a Senator/Representative makes such a proposal for vote, whether posturing or not, you should take the threat seriously and meet  it with active resistance (btw, this holds true to any issue you have a strong view on).  There are a number of examples of unpopular actions that have taken place over the years largely as a result of an apathetic populace. 

The following quote remains relevant for situations like these and it transcends this situation for CAP:
Quote"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that - then I realized I am somebody!"

So, if no one speaks up, then what?  The first cut is always the hard one.   Once that gets approved, watch out.

Bottom line: Contact your Senators/Representatives and voice your opinion - it only takes 2 minutes.  While it seems that they sometimes forget, they exist to serve/represent their constituents.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Sorry, I disagree that the above is either apathy or indifference, it's reality.
We were walking the Hill, handing out literature that presented our value, etc., etc.

You're going to tell me that having people in their office 2 weeks ago made no impression, but a phone call now will?

I don't see where anyone is saying the cuts wouldn't hurt.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on March 14, 2013, 09:36:22 PM
Sorry, I disagree that the above is either apathy or indifference, it's reality.
We were walking the Hill, handing out literature that presented our value, etc., etc.

You're going to tell me that having people in their office 2 weeks ago made no impression, but a phone call now will?

I don't see where anyone is saying the cuts wouldn't hurt.
"When we raise objections to the views of others, we call it realistic thinking.  When others raise objections to the the views we endorse, we call it resistance."

I know very well what took place in Washington.   I also know this...no action definitely will not persuade anyone.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NCRblues on March 14, 2013, 08:13:27 PM

From the Continuing Resolution
QuoteSEC. 8022.
(a) Of the funds made available in this Act, not less than $38,634,000 shall be available for the Civil Air Patrol Corporation, of which—
  (1) $28,404,000 shall be available from ''Operation and Maintenance, Air Force'' to support Civil Air Patrol Corporation operation and maintenance, readiness, counterdrug activities, and drug demand reduction activities involving youth programs;
  (2) $9,298,000 shall be available from ''Aircraft Procurement, Air Force''; and
  (3) $932,000 shall be available from ''Other Procurement, Air Force'' for vehicle procurement.
(b) The Secretary of the Air Force should waive reimbursement for any funds used by the Civil Air Patrol for counter-drug activities in support of Federal, State, and local government agencies.

NCRblues

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 14, 2013, 09:56:20 PM
Quote from: NCRblues on March 14, 2013, 08:13:27 PM

From the Continuing Resolution
QuoteSEC. 8022.
(a) Of the funds made available in this Act, not less than $38,634,000 shall be available for the Civil Air Patrol Corporation, of which—
  (1) $28,404,000 shall be available from ''Operation and Maintenance, Air Force'' to support Civil Air Patrol Corporation operation and maintenance, readiness, counterdrug activities, and drug demand reduction activities involving youth programs;
  (2) $9,298,000 shall be available from ''Aircraft Procurement, Air Force''; and
  (3) $932,000 shall be available from ''Other Procurement, Air Force'' for vehicle procurement.
(b) The Secretary of the Air Force should waive reimbursement for any funds used by the Civil Air Patrol for counter-drug activities in support of Federal, State, and local government agencies.

I believe that is just the normal CR and not the "amendment 50" as it still says 9 mill for aircraft. Correct or not?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on March 14, 2013, 09:42:47 PM
I also know this...no action definitely will not persuade anyone.

I also never suggested people not call, but to be realistic about both the risk and the expectations here.
The risk is minimal beyond the fact that we know we're going to see cuts, we already know that.

A handful of members who have a vested interest in the organization's existence are going to have as much effect
on the situation as an online petition about term limits. On these topics, the legislators have their positions set and will be voting
largely along partisan lines.    CAP doesn't actually have a voting-block presence large enough in any one state to sway anyone,
at least not directly - the Congressional Medal situation should be indication enough of that.  After several years
of lobbying, we still can't get a $35k feel-good medal approved in a time of high appreciation of the military and
even higher nostalgia for WWII. A few phones calls aren't going to change their minds about $9M+.

It's all about ROI, perceived and actual, and those conversations are happening in meetings with military and
CAP national staffers.  At the end of the day, we can either make people believe we are worth the cost, or we can't.

If you want a real impact, have our customers start calling.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Here's his official statement from 1995:

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressOffice.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=6EDE8511-6F9A-44CD-9CB6-1AEB432A133B

"McCain Statement on the Civil Air Patrol Program in the Department of Defense

June 10, 1995

Washington, D.C.- Today Senator John McCain released the following statement regarding the Civil Air Patrol Program in the Department of Defense:

The Civil Air Patrol performs a great service to the people of Arizona and to the nation. The primary mission of its volunteer pilots -- to search for and rescue the victims of civilian plane crashes -- is a necessary and noble task which I fully support. In performing its mission, the Civil Air Patrol has in the past drawn on Department of Defense funds for procuring aircraft and vehicles and paying for the training, fuel, aircraft maintenance, and many other costs associated with this mission.

The unfortunate reality of the budget situation is that the military requirements of the Department of Defense are not being met. By 1999, the defense budget will be reduced to nearly half of what it was in 1985. This has led to serious funding shortfalls which have had a negative impact on the readiness of our military forces. I am seriously concerned that lack of funds has caused training exercises to be delayed, needed munitions purchases to be deferred, and modernization programs to be canceled.

Because of these funding shortfalls, the men and women who may very soon be asked to put their lives at risk in Bosnia protecting United Nations peacekeepers may enter the conflict inadequately prepared for the dangers they will face. These are the same men and women who require food stamps to feed their families because the Department of Defense cannot afford to provide them with adequate pay.

In the face of these facts, I have instructed the staff of the Readiness Subcommittee of the Senate Armed Services Committee to identify all non-defense and lower-priority programs currently funded within the Department of Defense. One of the many programs which is currently under review is the Civil Air Patrol.

I do not intend to cut the 10 percent of the Civil Air Patrol budget that is used to reimburse the civilian pilots who volunteer their time and equipment to participate in the search and rescue mission of the CAP. It is my current intention to recommend that a small portion of DOD funding for the Civil Air Patrol overhead and administration be reduced in 1996.

This does not mean that the Senate will eliminate the Civil Air Patrol. I hope we can all explore other, more appropriate sources of funding for this important program, whether by the federal government or by financing arrangements with state and local governments. As we seek to ensure continued viability of the CAP's search and rescue mission, it is my intention to gradually phase out the remainder of DOD's CAP budget over a period of years.

Again, it is only the dramatic reductions in the defense budget over the past ten years which requires that we analyze the programs which receive funding from DOD. I will do everything I can to support the search and rescue mission of the Civil Air Patrol and to help in the transition to a non-defense funding source."

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I remember that statement...and it was just as much Bravo Sierra then as it is now.

I remember talking with both my squadron and wing CC's at that time.

Pretty much it would shape up as those who want us cut loose from the Air Force, without all that troublesome "rank," "professional development" and "uniform issues" would finally get what they want, or very close.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

tribalelder

Let's face it-domestic SAR is not a core mission for USAF.  While USAF is stuck with domestic SAR, CAP is a low-cost solution-for $180/flying hour, USAF subcontracts the mission, from the IC down,  to unpaid volunteers -- a great deal!

But let's say domestic SAR was moved to FEMA, coincidentally with a required upgrade of ELT's to 406Mhz.  ELT false alarm-chasing would go away, just about overnight.  CAP's volunteers would not be first on the call list--we wouldn't even be on this list. With the electronic serial number, tied back to aircraft registration, information updated at the aircraft's annual, and the better 'fix' available with 406, the new 'drill' would be call owner (-where's your plane?), call FBO (if signal is at/near airport- is N1234 on ramp ?) and then--if not resolved in first 2 calls--local PD/sheriff/FD (there might be a crash at lat/long...). ALL of this could go on in first 5 minutes-no wait 2 hours for another satellite pass. SAR would get cut down to call and dispatch--if needed.

Now the call center is gonna need new FEMA bureaucrats-but FEMA already has 24/7 coverage--the framework is there.  Some of the local jurisdictions will pass ordinances to pass through their response costs to aircraft owners, especially for those avoidable false alarms.

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

vento

I think every little effort to save our mission counts. Here's the info for CAWG members from the Wing CC.
Members of the California Wing,
Senator McCain's amendment was not heard today so we all have more time to get our opposition to this amendment expressed.  So far, his amendment has no co-sponsors.  Below is some text that you can use when faxing and emailing through Senators Boxer and Feinstein's websites. 
"I am (Your Name), a California resident. I am also a member of Civil Air Patrol and am asking the Senator to vote NO on Senate Amendment 50 to House Resolution 933.  CAP is a valuable service organization staffed by over 60,000 volunteers, who contribute millions of free man-hours each year in direct support our government, by providing extremely cost-efficient Search and Rescue Operations, Aerospace Education Training and Youth Leadership.   Not only could millions of dollars worth of valuable volunteer service be lost but there would be a 21% reduction in overall support for Air Force missions compared to FY12 and a 52% decrease in homeland security and air defense training as well as other negative impacts.  If a sequestration cut is added on top of this reduction in funding the impact on CAP could be devastating. Please vote NO!"
Their respective fax numbers are:
Senator Dianne Feinstein - (202) 228-3954
Senator Barbara Boxer - (202) 224-0454
Their respective email links are:
feinstein.senate.gov/en/contact
boxer.senate.gov/en/contact
Messages can also be sent via Twitter and Facebook.  Let's continue to make our voices heard by our elected officials. Thanks to all that helped today and to all that will tonight and tomorrow.
Regards,

Jon Stokes, Colonel, CAP
Commander, California Wing
Civil Air Patrol, United States Air Force Auxiliary

RiverAux

Quote from: SamFranklin on March 14, 2013, 02:08:45 PM
What is worrisome is the fact that ~95% of all CAP funding derives from a single source.
Same as the National Guards federal/state funding split (though our "state" side includes dues as well as money from states.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: NCRblues on March 14, 2013, 10:27:34 PM
I believe that is just the normal CR and not the "amendment 50" as it still says 9 mill for aircraft. Correct or not?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1XePsGb4KTOORKs3Tda63m-7J2vBnAPyswYjmaawA-lpxd3FicLtqnafXOfmf/edit?usp=sharing

According to Thomas, cloture has been filed on the bill so it must be voted on two working days from now (Monday?) and only one or two of the sixty submitted amendments have been voted on.  I suspect tomorrow will be amendment house-cleaning day.

♠SARKID♠

From the NHQ Facebook page
Three online petitions have been created encouraging votes against Sen. John McCain's Amendment 50 (which would cut CAP funding) to HR 933 -- http://bit.ly/12WZmHK, http://bit.ly/WtnX1K & http://chn.ge/15Rgi07

Patterson

Take a look and compare the Senators voting to cut funding to CAP with which Senators are members of the CAP Congressional Squadron!!  Looks like the CAP Congressional Squadron has been a waste of our time, resources and more importantly our money!!  The majority of CAP Congressional members serving in the Senate agree with McCain!! 

Lets close the Congressional Squadron, reassign that Aircraft and ask our fellow Members in Arizona WHAT THE CRAP ARE YOU DOING TO US?!?!  Arizona Wing; get your Senator in line!!