Main Menu

Hypothetical Situation

Started by NIN, September 22, 2012, 01:33:53 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 15, 2012, 07:16:08 PMI have all my paperwork for my GT badge and MO wings, but they're not in eservices. Do I ask DP to upload them, or is this sufficient to satisfy anyone who asks? Pretty much everyone here in my unit knows, but I've transferred back and forth a couple times to another wing.

They should be submitted and approved in eServices, there's a place for badges now.  Once done, you never have to think about it again.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPDan

For your Ground Team Badge you will want to log into Eservices>My Operations Qualifications>ES Awards under Emergency Services and check the appropriate award then click submit.

For your Mission Observer Wings you will want to log into Eservices>My Operations Qualifications>CAP Ratings under Pilot and check the appropriate rating then click submit.

Hope this helps.

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on October 15, 2012, 06:17:26 PM
When I read the guidelines on the National Archives site, I get the impression that FOIA requests are basically only for DD-214's or data that is 62 years or older.  I don't get the impression that the target here is that old.

Since you all probably didn't fit the kin description, what exactly do you ask for, and what did you get?

You can actually request quite a bit via the SF-180, but often the National Archives will only supply you a summary document.

You *can* get a redacted 214 that does not include PII like SSN and home of record, and stuff like character of service or discharge type. Which is weird, because you'd think the kind of need for a request like this would at least want the type of discharge.

Obviously, if there is medical info, that is redacted.

I requested stuff from the Marine Corps a month or so back, and got a TON of stuff (all of it redacted to an extent) to include the SGLI forms, etc.  The Marine Corps has a different request system than the Army & Air Force does.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MSG Mac

Quote from: ol'fido on October 14, 2012, 09:38:09 PM
Just as a sidenote on DD214s, I was advised by the nice lady that processed my 214 at Ft. Shafter to take it to the county courthouse and have it registered with the county clerks office. That way if you do happen to lose the original(mine is somewhere in my house right now but I couldn't tell you exactly where), you can go to the clerk's office and get a notarized copy that is legal anywhere.

Lately they've been telling people not to registered, because it makes the DD-214 (and your SSN) available to anyone who asks for it.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: NIN on October 15, 2012, 05:20:16 PM
20KT strike. Smoking crater.  Mission accomplished.

20kt from an ICBM? That my friend was a fizzle. :-(

PHall

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on October 16, 2012, 01:34:13 AM

More likely a SRAM, an ALCM or possibly a Hound Dog! >:D

NIN

Surgical.  Low yield.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: NIN on October 16, 2012, 02:20:02 AM

Surgical.  Low yield.

Several hundred kilotons can be quite surgical and well placed. Amputation is a type of surgery... >:D

NIN

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on October 16, 2012, 02:26:47 AM
Several hundred kilotons can be quite surgical and well placed. Amputation is a type of surgery... >:D

I will concede and yield to your knowledge in this regard.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: NIN on October 16, 2012, 12:06:07 AM
I requested stuff from the Marine Corps a month or so back, and got a TON of stuff (all of it redacted to an extent) to include the SGLI forms, etc.  The Marine Corps has a different request system than the Army & Air Force does.

Hey!  Stop requesting my records!  >:( ;) :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

West MI-CAP-Ret

Amen!  We all have DD-214s.  If Sqdrn COs were more on the ball, they would ask for military discharge papers.  They are important.  Vets know they may need medical help when they can't afford it, or help if they become homeless.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

RogueLeader

Quote from: Lab Lover on October 20, 2012, 04:07:40 AM
Amen!  We all have DD-214s.  If Sqdrn COs were more on the ball, they would ask for military discharge papers.  They are important.  Vets know they may need medical help when they can't afford it, or help if they become homeless.

Again, please note that not all are out of active duty, or even spent much time on AD. So some members may only have the orders for awards etc.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Bobble

And when Squadron/Group/Wing Commanders (in this case, all three I'm guessing) don't request military service records or take the time to check the ones they have received, .... -

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=32709#comments

(Caution: Some comments contain language NSFC)
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Bobble on November 05, 2012, 07:25:45 PM
And when Squadron/Group/Wing Commanders (in this case, all three I'm guessing) don't request military service records or take the time to check the ones they have received, .... -

GRRRRR!

Why, why, why, why, WHY do people do GOOBERISH things like this? And why did it have to be MY Wing?

:-\
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

ol'fido

Sounds like she was trying to piggy back the Tammy Duckworth story.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Pylon

Quote from: ProdigalJim on November 05, 2012, 11:07:29 PM

GRRRRR!

Why, why, why, why, WHY do people do GOOBERISH things like this? And why did it have to be MY Wing?

:-\

People only get away with these things when they're allowed to.  If a member of your unit starts wearing or claiming some high-level awards (or heck, any military decorations) you should always ask for the DD-214 or NGB-22.  If commanders demanded proof, this wouldn't happen in CAP.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

Did you notice that she has the CAP Meritorious Service Award and multiple ComComs besides being a member of Wing Staff? And how did she get to Major?   :o

Stonewall

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 06, 2012, 01:41:44 AM
Did you notice that she has the CAP Meritorious Service Award and multiple ComComs besides being a member of Wing Staff? And how did she get to Major?   :o

For the most part, her CAP awards are likely legit, as well as her rank.  I know people that went to RSC with her this past year.

Looks like an Eaker recipient.  If guilty of these accusations, I'd say it should be revoked, like what they do to Spaatzen who mess up similarly.
Serving since 1987.

NCRblues

^ except she is not wearing level 3 so... in her haste to add the purple heart she must have forgot to add level 3  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

a2capt

"All, Some, or None".  "Oh, gee, I forgot to put that one on"...