Main Menu

Hypothetical Situation

Started by NIN, September 22, 2012, 01:33:53 AM

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 02, 2012, 08:41:39 PM
Quote from: PHall on October 02, 2012, 07:29:29 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 02, 2012, 06:45:26 PM
Quote from: eaker.cadet on October 02, 2012, 06:13:27 PM
We all know that the F-15 Hornet was the carrier version of the Eagle ::)

I thought it was called Seagull?

Rookie!     It's called the Seahawk!!! >:D

Nice try.

The Seahawk is the Navy version of the H-60.

No, that's the "Splashhawk". Which is the wet version of the Crashhawk.

SarDragon

Sorry, not buying that. It has been a very reliable platform since its introduction in the early '80s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on October 03, 2012, 02:06:32 AM
Sorry, not buying that. It has been a very reliable platform since its introduction in the early '80s.

Negative, Ghostrider. I spent 3 years in Korea plucking UH-60s off mountainsides....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on October 03, 2012, 02:15:42 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 03, 2012, 02:06:32 AM

Negative, Ghostrider. I spent 3 years in Korea plucking UH-60s off mountainsides....

The Seahawk is the SH-60 and subsequent variants. The Crashhawk was an earlier, apparently less reliable version. My comments were directed solely toward the Seahawk.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on October 03, 2012, 02:18:13 AM
The Seahawk is the SH-60 and subsequent variants. The Crashhawk was an earlier, apparently less reliable version. My comments were directed solely toward the Seahawk.

If people gotta tell themselves "The Seahawk is a much more reliable variant of the Blackhawk" to get on them, who am I to disabuse them of their logical fallacy?  The Seahawk is essentially a UH-60 with a folding tailboom (shipboard ops mod), the tailwheel forward of the tail fold (shipboard ops mod), electric blade fold (shipboad ops mod), slightly different landing gear struts (shipboard ops mod), uprated T700s (I wonder, now, if they're not all using the same version of the T700?) and mods for the LAMPS mission. 

Otherwise, its a Crashhawk, er, Blackhawk.

Thats like saying that the Chevy Aveo is more reliable than the Daewoo Gentra.  With the exception of the Chevy badge on the grille, its the same darn thing! :)

This is, BTW, a substantial topic drift.

Crashhawks are fun to talk about, however. 

CH-47 Guy (Me): "Hey, man, you know how you get a Blackhawk to fly faster than 80 kts below 3000 ft?"
Unsuspecting Newbie UH-60 guy: "No, how?"
CH-47 Guy: "Sling load it."

(during the middle-80s, UH-60s were restricted to 80kts or less below 3000 ft due to their propensity for lawn-darting themselves into the countryside on a random basis.  We plucked a lot of wrecks off mountains and rice paddys in South Korea between 1986 and 1989.  A big airmobile with CH-47s and UH-60s would result in the -60s departing for the PZs 30+ minutes before the Chinooks so we'd all get to the LZs in the correct sequence. That wait was referred to sometimes as the "Blackhawk Break")
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

Further topic drift: anytime that the wing goes faster than the fuselage, it is a helicopter and, therefore, inherently dangerous.

That said by a fixed wing guy.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NIN

Quote from: bosshawk on October 03, 2012, 04:13:01 PM
Further topic drift: anytime that the wing goes faster than the fuselage, it is a helicopter and, therefore, inherently dangerous.

To riff on a Monty Python meme: "Mynd yøu, Bläckhäwk crashes Kan be reali nästi..."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Devil Doc

Ive seen an CH-53E Super Stallion go down in Iraq. Wasn't a pretty sight. It got caught in the rotor wash of another Super Stallion while landing. BTW  this accident is not listed anywhere in the Crash Data base.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on October 03, 2012, 04:25:37 PM
Quote from: bosshawk on October 03, 2012, 04:13:01 PM

To riff on a Monty Python meme: "Mynd yøu, Bläckhäwk crashes Kan be reali nästi..."
My sister once got bitten by a blackhawk......:)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on October 03, 2012, 06:32:48 PM
My sister once got bitten by a blackhawk......:)

whats that phrase? "I'd rather have a sister in a .. " uh, forget I said anything...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: NIN on September 28, 2012, 07:55:08 PM
Well, the bird is in the air. My deputy and I turned keys.  Now we sit back in our snuggies and slippers and wait for the fireworks.

The guys in St Louis must be working overtime.

FOIA request returned. Enlisted service. Not officer.

So I put it to you guys: this guy is not an AF Officer, not an AF pilot, not really any of the things he claimed to be.

If you're the commander, what do you do?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

AirDX

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

LGM30GMCC

Wellllll....one could argue he committed a crime impersonating a USAF Officer and attempted to use it for his own personal gain. I'd say at the very least remove him from CAP.

As to the public shaming or not...that I leave up to you. Part of me (prolly the real officer part me) leans toward yes, especially as it could help prevent him from doing it again. While another part of me says to just dismiss the guy and move on with life.

a2capt

Well, for one. I'd be sending a copy to his last wing, after I put it in his face.
Enlisted service, for a career's worth, or 1 term?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on October 13, 2012, 01:53:10 AM
Well, for one. I'd be sending a copy to his last wing, after I put it in his face.
Enlisted service, for a career's worth, or 1 term?

Doesn't really matter. Most likely a short-termer given his actions described here...

a2capt

If anyone cared at the other end .. they might see how easy a faker can be, and do their own footwork next time.

AirDX

2b him out and move on.  "Public shaming" could precipitate legal action against CAP.  Don't run that risk over garbage.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

JK657

Report him to one of the Stolen Valor websites such as www.fakewarriors.org (its run by the people that do pownetwork.org). If he's lied to CAP about his service think of the countless others he's lied to as well. There is no liability in disclosing information you gained via FOIA.

NIN

Quote from: JK657 on October 13, 2012, 04:05:42 AM
Report him to one of the Stolen Valor websites such as www.fakewarriors.org (its run by the people that do pownetwork.org). If he's lied to CAP about his service think of the countless others he's lied to as well. There is no liability in disclosing information you gained via FOIA.

Well, the missiles are in the terminal descent phase.  I think its in the commander's hands.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: AirDX on October 13, 2012, 03:46:29 AM
2b him out and move on.  "Public shaming" could precipitate legal action against CAP.  Don't run that risk over garbage.

What legal action?  The truth is an affirmative defense.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP