Question about encampment.

Started by Schultheis, March 22, 2013, 04:40:59 AM

Schultheis

Before i ask this question, Please don't be rude to me if you answer.
I was born a premie with under developed kidneys, so sometimes I "wet the bed,".
I'm afraid to join CAP for the thought of having this happen during encampment.
Now, I am trying to drink less before I sleep, and use an alarm to wake up in the night, but alarms aren't aloud on encampments.

If you have anything to say about this, or to help, please do!
Don't be rude to me please, thank you.

cap235629

Don't let this stop you.  There are undergarments specifically designed for this issue.  No one needs to know if you wear them to bed unless you tell them....... DRIVE ON!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

jimmydeanno

It may seem embarrassing, but if you think it is something that is going to preclude your attendance at encampment, it needs to be addressed.  I would have the discussion with the appropriate person in the encampment chain of command (medical officer, most likely) and figure out a way to work around your needs (like have an alarm clock) so that you don't have to worry about insensitivity from other cadets.

Don't let others, who are naive to how the world is, stop you from doing what you want to do.  The encampment staff will find a way, you will find a  way.  Send in that membership paperwork!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Abby.L

I echo the above sentiments. As an older child(About, 10. Didn't fully phase out until 12 or so), I also had this issue. I have no idea why mine occurred, but it's the same concept. It's natural and normal, and more people than you'd think also have this problem. Now, I'm not sure how old you are, but you'll eventually get out of this phase. Until then, as said above, there are undergarments for this problem, and the encampment staff is there to help you, not make fun of you. They will find a way.

And, if worse comes to worse, and somebody does make fun of you, just send 'em to me. I'll make sure they understand what it's like to pee their pants.  ;)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

MSG Mac

Let the encampment staff know through the medical information form(s) that you fill out as part of the paperwork. when you arrive and are assigned to a Flight or squadron speak to your Commander and TAC Officer and let them know about the problem if they don't already know. Incontinence is not a rare or unusual phenomenon, and no need for embarrassment. As advised in earlier posts, obtain a supply of the undergarments and enjoy the encampment.   
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

There's no reason this can't be handled discreetly like any other medical issue, which is what this is.
Own it, address it with the Health Services staff or commander directly and move on.

Also, while we encourage cadets to attend encampments early and often, they aren't really required for progress in until your second or third year, which by then this may be worked out.

You don't want to ignore this, but it shouldn't be a focal point of your experience, either.

"That Others May Zoom"

Schultheis

Quote from: Levi Lockling on March 22, 2013, 05:25:21 AM
I echo the above sentiments. As an older child(About, 10. Didn't fully phase out until 12 or so), I also had this issue. I have no idea why mine occurred, but it's the same concept. It's natural and normal, and more people than you'd think also have this problem. Now, I'm not sure how old you are, but you'll eventually get out of this phase. Until then, as said above, there are undergarments for this problem, and the encampment staff is there to help you, not make fun of you. They will find a way.

And, if worse comes to worse, and somebody does make fun of you, just send 'em to me. I'll make sure they understand what it's like to pee their pants.  ;)
but doesn't the staff empty out you crap and look through it? I'm afraid that the other cadets would see, and laugh, or that the staff would simply tell me I can't have them, or both.

SarDragon

If you make the encampment staff aware of your situation when you apply, and again when you check in, they will help you with it. I think you are worrying about this more than necessary.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

The encampment chain of command should be known before check in. Perhaps even before signups are closed.

Bring this up directly with someone at the top end of it, and arrange for your checkin to go normally, with perhaps an extra bag to the side already handed off, to be received again by you after the in-processing. It needs to go in the drawer, and that's that. The end result is you're not the first, you won' t be the last, and ..

Have a good time!

There are certain things that you may need, that you are entitled to bring to encampment and similar activities. If the scenario that you are afraid of, them screaming, "oh look, you don't need these!" plays out, they have the whole thing wrong. That is not the point or intention of encampment.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing it up ahead of time.

lordmonar

Better yet........let your Commander/Deputy Command for Cadets know of your concerns and let them run with it.

As has been pointed out....the Commander is the final authority of your readiness to go to encampment.  Let him take care of getting these special needs taken care of.   Let him know early so he can engage the wing encampment staff early.....no one wants to be hit "day of" that someone has a special need (be it rubber sheets, a non-alegenic pillow, kosher meals, handicap ramps, etc).

I understand the stigma of bed wetting......I had to deal with it until a I was 13 or so.   So I know where you are comming from.  But you also have to learn to deal with it.  If you are ashamed of your medical condition.....then you are letting "them" dictate what you can or cannot do.   I know it may be hard for someone your age to face up to getting laughed at.....but if you stand up for yourself....it makes all that much easier for us adults to help defend you and stop that sort of behavior.   If you avoid doing thing like encampment because of your condition then you reenforce the stereotype that you don't belong at encampment.

Talk to your parents, talk to your doctor, talk to your commander......and between you come up with the best plan for YOU.   Good Luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP